0906 public test - bug list in live

I think @lacibaci is really talking more about readability than simplicity or placement. Many dash cams use more modern, cleaner looking fonts for the date, time and GPS stamping.

I agree but that picture is a close up and would look better smaller and just as legible with less pixilation of course

I agree but that picture is a close up and would look better smaller and just as legible with less pixilation of course

No, smaller would not be the solution here at all.

If you had any hands-on experience with the very tiny screen on this particular camera I think you would have a better understanding of the issue.

I cant read the little text on the screen, i have to use my phone as a magnifying glass to do menu changes and read test in the display.

Its like 1 1/4 " diagonal.

If you had any hands-on experience with the very tiny screen on this particular camera I think you would have a better understanding of the issue

I don't need to own or understand a camera when there are experts in the field giving us descriptive updates like yours

When I need to view the card on a computer I would like all the info on the bottom of the screen as well

@Dashmellow was right, I was just referring to the font typeface. Although, the coordinates format is a little strange...

i have to use my phone as a magnifying glass
Something like this:D
PS its it possible to transfer touch from the big to the small screen.
POA297252A%20(1).jpg

How about trying some reading glasses with a suitable magnification? :watching::)
Stop picking on Kamkar1:giggle:
Ok since we got it started, let it continue.:troll:

Probably more like this.
m000508704_sc7

Plus some head protection, when he get outside the car.
15411314387_09297e8b71_o.jpg

hehe i have actually considered a pair of those doctors "zoom" glasses, for a more laid back working attitude when i wrench on the small stuf.

But i have never gotten around to pull the trigger on those or just a cheap pair of reading glasses.

I have been using just the front camera.
Here are few videos:
Drive start...

After driving around 20 minutes:

After driving around 50 minutes:

There seems like some soft focus on left side after 50 minutes driving but you be the judge.

Yeah there seem to be a range of lens / focus related issues, and that's very important in any camera.

I wish we could embed the temperature readings in the footage, at least now in the startup phase.

I forgot to take a closer look at the GPS status, so i will take a little night drive now and have a look at it.

I visit Denver / Boulder some years ago. That place is so beautiful.
If you stand with the mountain range at you back and look forward its flat like a pancake to the next state Kansas.
When you turn around you can point out within 500 meter, where the mountain start. It just pop up.

Last edited:
I wish we could embed the temperature readings in the footage, at least now in the startup phase.

they should be able to do that, not something you'd want in the release version but it could help with the beta testing if they did

I'm not quite sure if the bad quality of the front cam is influenced by the dashboard reflection. But rear cam quality is way better than front (and gps still doesnt work/doesnt lock)

vlcsnap-2017-05-10-12h39m52s452.jpg
vlcsnap-2017-05-10-12h36m46s755.jpg

I'm experiencing what to a certain degree appear to be bit rate degradation issues, separate from focus issues, especially in complex textured scenes with motion such as trees. The bit rate appears to be highly variable. At one point when I had only the front camera installed I had some footage that showed a bit rate of nearly 37 Mbit/s. With both front and rear cameras deployed bit rates average 11.5 t0 12. 8 Mbit/s on both cameras.
sample_1.jpg

sample_2.jpg

I'm experiencing what to a certain degree appear to be bit rate degradation issues, separate from focus issues, especially in complex textured scenes with motion such as trees. The bit rate appears to be highly variable. At one point when I had only the front camera installed I had some footage that showed a bit rate of nearly 37 Mbit/s. With both front and rear cameras deployed bit rates average 11.5 t0 12. 8 Mbit/s on both cameras.
Sometimes I have reasonable bitrate on the front when using both, but then it will drop down to 11.6Mbit/s for no obvious reason and that really does spoil the quality. Last night I recorded a few hours under moonlight with front only and got a constant 14.8. We want it over 18Mb/s for high quality 1080/30fps...

Sometimes I have reasonable bitrate on the front when using both, but then it will drop down to 11.6Mbit/s for no obvious reason and that really does spoil the quality. Last night I recorded a few hours under moonlight with front only and got a constant 14.8. We want it over 18Mb/s for high quality 1080/30fps...

Thanks @Nigel, you seem to be confirming my experience. And I agree, we need a consistently higher and dependable variable bit rate or perhaps a menu choice between a variable bit rate and a constant bit rate as on the Mobius 2 camera.

Yeah bitrate and more of it would be nice, and a VBR/CBR choice would be nice to have in the menu.

Hopefully we'll get a new firmware soon as the last one hasn't been great here (3rd May)

Frame grab from my video last night, not sure 14.8Mb/s was really necessary for that but I would be perfectly happy with a constant 18Mb/s. Memory keeps getting cheaper and higher capacity, no point throwing away the quality.

I've turned the brightness up in a photo editor since the darker areas where hard to see viewing the monitor in daylight, it was nearly 1AM (clock is in GMT) and the streetlights were all off so the lighting is all from the moon. Not convinced that you can record video under starlight with this "Starvis" sensor but you can read license plates by moonlight. (The plate has delaminated at the ends, that is not a camera issue.)
y4mVtDcvmnufsEYV-3GF_OrwpqO5dM0Q9MxItQyyZOiWJTA8S2Nptdd5WjnRXJzIORvNGA4I4pBg67SZd82ZweykcZAUsVbP7MVmXOwfPAHGOqm-BtigZPAd8mL15SPKZUJ1pAWCEV41gyxETn77xUuOhdwPBiFh6NjUtUpKmm0p_z_wlry5f4mfmpyatRPZGDurbE-n4Y2aKCd8Z7MXg5RlA

Back