0906 public test - bug list in live

I've just split the files manually into front and back folders to try and make life easier for Registrator Viewer but spotted a new problem which is masked by the RV file handling when front and back are both in the same folder.

I drove about an hour each way and with the files manually separated realised the camera kept dropping footage - there's no real pattern to it - some gaps are 20 seconds and others are 30 seconds and then there are entire minutes of video footage missing.

Wondering if the camera is rebooting on that 3rd May firmware as it's an abortion here.

upload_2017-5-10_12-58-25.png

Here's another example on the front channel - a 50 minute drive and you can see all the missing grey sections:

upload_2017-5-10_12-59-11.png

I checked the back channel files and they show the same problem:

upload_2017-5-10_12-59-45.png

The actual files are below:

upload_2017-5-10_13-0-56.png
upload_2017-5-10_13-1-30.png

You can see the filesizes are jumping around due to the missing footage.

The files are there in sequence for the front channel but the back channel is definitely missing a couple (241B and 246B)

Have any of you seen this same problem?

There have been no errors seen on the screen - I'm running a 32GB Kingston card so wondering if the card is choking on write speed or something, although if it had I would have expected an error.

Last edited:
The default format used by the new chipset is different to what Registrator Viewer works with, I wonder if perhaps some of the file handling problems are due to the changes they've implemented trying to get it working with Registrator Viewer

Possibly - I'm rolling back to the last April firmware for now to see if that had a similar issue :)

I'm getting gps text files in the same folder as video files when gps is not embedded in video.
Probably just setting option.

The default folders I'm seeing after import on a Mac show a LOG folder full of 1 MB dummy files with the same time stamp and a VIDEO folder full of A/B front/rear video files interspersed with the actual log files.
I've not seen another camera do this and it is cumbersome to deal with.

video.png

log.png

Time was also reset for me today to 2000...
Whoops I take that back. This reset happenes if you tear apart the two pcbs.. The hat contains the battery while the main pcb contains the rtc.. So tearing them apart results in power loss, I'm sorry for that :rolleyes:

FWIW, the other day I got a folder of files where most of them said, "yesterday"after transfer to my computer and a few at the end of the list said, "tomorrow" but none of them said "today" which would have been the correct designation.
I was going to post a screen shot of this but the next day the folder showed all the files as "yesterday".

I've gone back to the test firmware from the 24th April and so far it's better for me than the one from the 3rd May - the stamps are all back, no missing video and it's shutting down cleaner than it was with the 20170503 firmware.

I've gone back to the test firmware from the 24th April and so far it's better for me than the one from the 3rd May - the stamps are all back, no missing video and it's shutting down cleaner than it was with the 20170503 firmware.

Due to challenges mounting the rear camera that will require a solution I just don't have time for at the moment I've mounted the 0906 rear camera in the right rear window of my truck which necessitates the need for the "rear camera flip" option for me.

The "rear camera flip" option does indeed work properly now for me with the new firmware, so that's good, but now I have all the new issues @reverend mentions too.

Last edited:
BTW, as a lateral facing side camera there are serious shortcomings using the 0906 in this manner apparently because of the bit rate issues but the general lens coverage and performance is excellent. (any IQ issues seen here are with the camera, not the lens)

(Edit; no data stamps on this one. :()

sidecam-0906.jpg

Last edited:
Guys for reference you can roll back the 3 May firmware to an older one from here - http://mini0906.com/update.html?m .

There were a few issues with the one from the 3rd May so I for one am looking forward to testing a newer one :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

BTW, as a lateral facing side camera there are serious shortcomings using the 0906 in this manner apparently because of the bit rate issues but the general lens coverage and performance is excellent. (any IQ issues seen here are with the camera, not the lens)

(Edit; no data stamps on this one. :()

View attachment 30826
The IMX291 cans would be good as well for lateral cams in parking type mode when continuously run like you do with the power banks - at night they should capture more than cameras with other sensors :)

The IMX291 cans would be good as well for lateral cams in parking type mode when continuously run like you do with the power banks - at night they should capture more than cameras with other sensors :)

I successfully ran the 0906 from my Poweradd Pilot Plus 20,000mAh lithium polymer power bank using the 2.4 amp port with good results. This was initially for testing purposes before I installed the 0906 in my vehicle but I was also curious to know whether I could run a dual channel camera like this off a power bank. Most power banks feature a 2.1 amp port but I am assuming that "should" be suitable as well.

https://www.ipoweradd.com/products/...20000mah-portable-battery-charger-white-black

I successfully ran the 0906 from my Poweradd Pilot Plus 20,000mAh lithium polymer power bank using the 2.4 amp port with good results. This was initially for testing purposes before I installed the 0906 in my vehicle but I was also curious to know whether I could run a dual channel camera like this off a power bank. Most power banks feature a 2.1 amp port but I am assuming that "should" be suitable as well.

https://www.ipoweradd.com/products/...20000mah-portable-battery-charger-white-black
There's something written to one of the log files which shows an ampage - from mine it's maxing out around 1.5a so you should be fine above that (I think)

Bitrate change a lot from file to file. Max 44782Kb min 5840Kb
Back camera is constant.

All the photo on the left is from front camera

bitrate1 day front.JPG bitrate1 back day.JPG
bitrate2 day front.JPG bitrate1 back day.JPG
bitrate3 front day.JPG

Attachments

• bitrate2 day back.JPG
    bitrate2 day back.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 3
One thing I've noticed about the 0906 is that the white balance, dynamic range handling and ability to negotiate difficult exposure scenarios are generally superb. Along these criteria the camera outperforms many others I've had experience with.
The color saturation could stand to be dialed back a few clicks but that is a rather minor complaint. If the various focus and other IQ issues we've been discussing can be satisfactorily resolved, this camera has a lot of potential.

As other dual channel cameras using the same hardware enter the marketplace such as the SG9663DC it will be interesting to see if the color accuracy, exposure and dynamic range handling are a result of the hardware alone or whether the performance is dependent on which team of firmware engineers are doing the programming.

Mine is also shutting down due to high temperatures (osd says 76°)
This definitely needs to be fixed. It has just about 16° today (but the car and cam got direct sunlight during the test)

One thing I've noticed about the 0906 is that the white balance, dynamic range handling and ability to negotiate difficult exposure scenarios are generally superb. Along these criteria the camera outperforms many others I've had experience with.
The color saturation could stand to be dialed back a few clicks but that is a rather minor complaint. If the various focus and other IQ issues we've been discussing can be satisfactorily resolved, this camera has a lot of potential.

As other dual channel cameras using the same hardware enter the marketplace such as the SG9663DC it will be interesting to see if the color accuracy, exposure and dynamic range handling are a result of the hardware alone or whether the performance is dependent on which team of firmware engineers are doing the programming.
Same here. I'm happy with the image quality. I was surprised how well the rear cam handled my tinted window.
I actually never complained about the image quality of 0903 - it was always about something else (mount, GPS, park mode...) Here is a snap from my rear cam through fairly dark tint:
vlcsnap-2017-05-10-12h33m13s099.png

There's something written to one of the log files which shows an ampage - from mine it's maxing out around 1.5a so you should be fine above that (I think)
On my cheap USB power meter, mine was rarely going over 0.6A, and often 0.45 even with the rear camera, never saw it anywhere near 1A. I think that meter is reasonably accurate when measuring to 0.1A resolution.

On my cheap USB power meter, mine was rarely going over 0.6A, and often 0.45 even with the rear camera, never saw it anywhere near 1A. I think that meter is reasonably accurate when measuring to 0.1A resolution.
Think you are right, this is from a conversation with @Rayman.Chan:
The dual cameras recording consure 700mA current MAX which create a lot of heat in the camera;

Back