2014 VicoVation Marcus-3, 1080p-60Fps, Super HD 2304 x 1296р, 3DNR, WDR, LDWS, FCWS , GPS, CPL

Along with my card issue RegistratorViewer causes my windows machine to Blue Screen when trying to play a video file. Plays in VLC fine.

My Video looks okay but as with others my time stamp looks fuzzy or jaggy.

The manual says that there are 15 emergency records available, but the camera seems to say 10.
Also I set it to turn the screen on after a min, but it feels like it takes longer then that. Hopefully the can make it so if you quick press the power button the screen turns off manually.

no edit, just upload directly to yt

and a small test whit CPL filter

I sent to vicovation a e-mail about three problems:

"Hello, I`ve got a Marcus 3
The manual says you have 15 slots for emergency recording but the camera only saves 10.
Also I would like a feature to display the remaining time for the current footage (like on the TF2+) instead of the current time (hour). And maybe be able to deactivate the WDR from the menu.
My fw version is 1.0. "

Answer:
"
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your information.

1. We saw the mistakes and thank you very much for pointing out.

There are 10sets Emergency record files only. (For Marcus 3)

2. This V1.0i version cannot change “remaining time” to “current time”. However, we would propose to our engineering this request, and it should be updated by next upcoming software.

3. Currently WDR is built-in and users are not able to deactivates/ activated this feature. Our team set the best parameter so that users no need to adjust by themselves. Facility the operation.

If you think the image is too bright at the day time, you can try EV value -0.5; If you think the night time is too dark, then you can try EV value +0.5

If there is any update of software of Marcus 3, we will post on our Facebook or Official website.

www.vicovation.com.

Please feel free to follow us."

And my reply
"
1. Why can't we save 15 emergency files just like the TF2+ could ? Can we/you do something about it please ? Perhaps in the future firmware update ? This must be a simple change.
2. Do you have a timeline for the modification ?
3. Is there really no way to at least turn off the WDR ? Surely, you must listen to feedback from customers. After all, we are using your product. We need some form of control. I believe the WDR is causing the noise on the night footage. I am sending you raw samples. Link to download here http://fastupload.ro/f5a6ad14b80b1a928a76570d83a29f1b.html "

Ps: sory for my poor english :)

I am not sure how many seconds the camera store before a event it triggered either by G-sensor or by pressing the manual event button.
Atleast with the TF2 and WF1 it is 30 seconds before and 30 seconds after the manual lock or emergency record button is pressed creating a locked one min clip.
The Marcus 3 seems to be the same way. The noise the button makes can be heard at about 31 seconds of a 1 min clip.
I saved two Emergency Records today. One was fine. The other one froze to a still at the last few seconds while the audio played underneath.
The Transcend 64GB class 10 card that I bought just the other day just for the M3 does not seem to work. The card formats okay in the camera, but throws a card error after you leave the menu.
Just so others know Vico knows about this they said it is a bug and they are working to fix it.

Last edited:
In the 2 videos posted by suawek on page 4 here the M3 footage looks extremely poor, it look like the bottom of a coke bottle have been used as CPL filter.

And my reply
"
1. Why can't we save 15 emergency files just like the TF2+ could ? Can we/you do something about it please ? Perhaps in the future firmware update ? This must be a simple change.
2. Do you have a timeline for the modification ?
3. Is there really no way to at least turn off the WDR ? Surely, you must listen to feedback from customers. After all, we are using your product. We need some form of control. I believe the WDR is causing the noise on the night footage. I am sending you raw samples. Link to download here http://fastupload.ro/f5a6ad14b80b1a928a76570d83a29f1b.html "

Ps: sory for my poor english :)

and the anwser

2BfNtGn.png

Hi guys, just a quick update... I have managed to source a Marcus 3 with CPL lens filter, GPS and the two mount options. I am in the process of putting together a presentation to reflect this awesome dashcam with side by side comparisons, similar to the TF2 and the Panorama 2 review I did... So stay tuned and if your interested in purchasing this camera feel free to ask here or PM me...

Hi guys, just a quick update... I have managed to source a Marcus 3 with CPL lens filter, GPS and the two mount options. I am in the process of putting together a presentation to reflect this awesome dashcam with side by side comparisons, similar to the TF2 and the Panorama 2 review I did... So stay tuned and if your interested in purchasing this camera feel free to ask here or PM me...

What's your opinion on recording in 1080 @ 6oFPS vs 1296 @ 30FPS

Regarding the CPL filter, the back of the filter mount is not covered with anything (like a cap, or just pure plastic, it's just a round frame with the filter in front and no cover on the back; the mount diameter exceeds the width of the camera by about 3-4mm on each side), so light enters inside the casing and causes a small reflection of whatever is behind the camera (metal, windows, etc).
blog

http://imgur.com/a/vWcC5#0

GO59TJ5.png

Last edited:
Hi guys, i'm hoping to get your input on something regarding this camera..

I got my hands on one of them and am a little concerned about the cigar car charger. I've previously had a G1W and a Mini 0801 running in my car. I had the cigar charger of the G1W installed behind my dashboard and connected permanently on a switched fuse. This allows it turns on and off along with my ignition because my cigarette lighter is on a continuous fuse, and without this, I would have to unplug the cable at the end of each journey. Plus, the installation is convenient because I don't have any cables hanging around and my cigarette lighter remains open.

Now that cable has been used to power both my G1W and my Mini 0801. If i'm not mistaken, that G1W cable is 5V, 1.5A. The Mini 0801 only require 1A but the 1.5A cable from the G1W works just fine. Just like the Mini 0801, the Marcus 3 also only requires a 5V 1A however, the manual/box clearly state the following:

"Vico-Marcus 1 applies unique designed car charger for automatic boot up. Please apply VicoVation car charger to avoid unstable behaviors of the device. Please notice that Marcus car charger is a unique design for Marcus series which CAN NOT be used on other VicoVation products. Marcus car charger is NOT suitable for all other VicoVation models. It might cause serious damage if exchange the charger with different models"

and

"Special Notice: Vico-Marcus 3 applies unique designed Marcus car charger for auto boot up. Please apply only VicoVation Marcus car charger to avoid any damage. Please notice that Marcus charger is a unique design for Marcus"

So, for obvious reasons I have been too scared to use the cable that is currently installed in my car. I'm curious to hear your opinions on this matter. Do you think this is just VicoVation protecting themselves against the possibility of someone using a mini usb cable that has more than 5V of power? I mean, it's far easier to prevent people from frying their cameras by telling them not to use any cables other than the one provided. If i'm not mistaken, the amperage shouldn't make a difference so long as it not less than what is required, but more is not a problem?

So, do you think it's ok to use my current cable? Or do you think there is a possibility that the Marcus cigar charger really has a unique design? I really wouldn't want to damage my new camera!

Thanks!

I have samsung 64GB and works fine with my marcus 3, but memory card need to be formatted to FAT32 standard.

64GB exFAT - showing errors :/

looks like Marcus 3 is not fully compatibile with SDXC standard

Vico is updating the firmware for 64GB compatibility as we speak. Apparently there was a bug with those cards with the initial firmware.

my firmware is:

out.php

so far 64GB samsung on FAT32 works fine.

I've been using a DOD300w but I just got the Marcus 3 and moved the 300w to the rear window. I was very excited about the Marcus 3, but now reviewing the video I took today I'm deeply disappointed.

The quality is terrible compared to my 300w; compression artifacts and sharpening halos abound. It's worst in super-HD mode (60fps HD), but hardly any better in regular HD. I made some comparison shots (edit: I used the 30fps HD mode on the Marcus 3 for these comparisons), but because I'd already installed my 300w in the rear window, they're shots from different days (I re-drove a route I already had a 300w video for).

First, 300w on the left, Marcus 3 on the right (not in the same location, but I tried to get a similar car at a similar distance):
tpoj2wV.jpg

Here, 300w on top, Marcus 3 on bottom (both cropped but not scaled):
RumkmvW.jpg

Here, Marcus 3 on the left, 300w on the right (sorry I'm not consistent!):
MlNCTeq.jpg

Is this normal for Vicovation products? The only dash cam I've ever had is the 300w, and it's performed superbly with the exception of an annoying dead battery. The Marcus 3 has a wider field of view, which is nice, but at this point I'm probably going to return it unless anyone has any better advice.

SpyTec listing for Marcus 3 on their website says Up to 128GB SD Card. I did not see this in my manual. I'm guessing this might be a misstype on the site or one of those unofficially supports 128GB card type deals?

Chipset can fully support large memory sizes provided they've paid the license fee for exFAT
That's cool. I'm guessing since my manual says 64GB that's all they payed for? I'm not sure how it works is there anyway to know other then buying a 128GB memory card and taking a shot in the dark?

Vico don't make the cameras but their supplier is very large, I'd be very surprised if they hadn't bought the licence, they certainly do enough business to justify the expense

Back