522GW Battery won’t hold a charge.

User63918257

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just purchased a Nextbase 522GW Dash Camera, and followed the instructions about ensuring the device was charged properly for at least two hours prior to use.

After two hours, I noticed the device’s battery status symbol was a few bars lower than what would logically indicate a full charge. I plugged it into a separate wall socket, and even tested the wall socket for proper current. After multiple hours, the 522GW is *still* not fully charged, and only indicates a very low status of battery charge.

What should my next step be? Did I receive a bad unit?

Charge for 2 hours, unplug it and time how long it takes for the cam to switch off. That will get a measure of the battery capacity and is the first thing that Nextbase will ask you to do.

I just purchased a new 522GW based on review on Wirecutter and I wish I had checked here first.

If I charge it fully with the USB cable with the unit turned off, then remove the cable and turn it on, it lasts less then 1 minute. This isn't the only thread that mentions the battery dying quickly. I wonder if they made a whole batch with faulty batteries. I'm trying to decide whether to return it for a refund or for a replacement. I'm leaning towards getting a refund because there are a lot of other problems with the model based on posts here. I know that forums like this tend to get more posts from unsatisfied users because most of the people who are satisfied don't have as much reason to look here. Even considering that, it seems like an awful lot of problem with this model.

Last edited:
I tested my 522 earlier and just sitting there with the screen on the battery lasted 14mins before it came on beeping it was running out of steam.

On Saturday I had this dashcam with rear view camera installed (hardwired) and I seem to have the same issue as the OP - it worked fine for a couple of days before it started giving the low battery warning. I've charged it fully indoors (blue light goes out) and by the time I walk out to the car the battery is dead. It literally lasts less than a minute.

OP - did you resolve this in the end, or has anyone else got any thoughts? Am I best off taking it back to Halfords for replacement or contacting Nextbase?

TIA

Why on earth didn't Nextbase design in a user replaceable battery via an external compartment.

Just got a 522gw and the manual says battery only lasts 15 minutes.

Thanks for the responses. By way of a test, yesterday I turned off parking mode and fully charged it again. This time I was at least able to get to the car without it dying.

I am going to see how it goes without parking mode and then try turning it back on to see if it is that which is killing the battery.

I just purchased a Nextbase 522GW Dash Camera, and followed the instructions about ensuring the device was charged properly for at least two hours prior to use.

After two hours, I noticed the device’s battery status symbol was a few bars lower than what would logically indicate a full charge. I plugged it into a separate wall socket, and even tested the wall socket for proper current. After multiple hours, the 522GW is *still* not fully charged, and only indicates a very low status of battery charge.

What should my next step be? Did I receive a bad unit?
I have the same problem. Charged on 4 occasions on my laptop but doesn’t make the car.
I bought a reconditioned unit from eBay and they say they will guarantee for a year and accept returns.
I requested a return yesterday, so I will see what happens.
Even if they refund my payment, what do I replace it with.
The roads are chaotic now, with drivers from all over the world driving, with different training.
A dash cam is now essential.

Every nextbase dash cam model does this even if you purchase the top end ones! Nextbase need to go super capacitor like the other manufacturers are branching out to these days

After the super capacitor 380GW I was very surprised when the series 2 came out with batteries. One of the reasons I looked elsewhere.

Back