522GW new out of box, battery holds only 3-4 seconds charge

Nextbase avoider

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I just want to share my experience of this product so that others may avoid the mistake of purchasing it. I've used a Nextbase dashcam for the past 2-3 years, but am now looking for a better brand of dashcam that is more reliable (or even just functional). Here's what has happened:

Two days ago I bought a 522GW to replace an earlier 512GW. The 512GW battery was dead, so the last video clips it was recording were corrupted, not ideal as in a crash the engine may cut out, or be turned off quickly, thereby making he vital piece of evidence recorded by the dashcam unreadable. As instructed I charged the new 522GW for a full 2 hours before first use, however it's battery drains to nothing in 3-4 seconds. I have charged it multiple times, been for long drives with it - makes no difference. It is functionally useless to me, because the last video clip it records will be unreadable. Looking on forums I see this is a common problem with this model, and has been for at least 2 years. It really is appaling to be selling products with known defects year after year. Just for context, I purchased this 522GW brand new, in sealed packaging, from Halfords, as part of a front and rear Nextbase bundle. I haven't installed the rear cam, and won't be after reading reviews on this forum of how the 522GW fails to record correctly with a rear cam installed. I thought Nextbase were a leading brand in dashcams, and having used them previously felt they were reliable so didn't read any dashcam reviews. I was tempted by the straightforward replacement the 522GW would be to the 512GW. That was a mistake - avoid 522GW.

Any suggestions on better alternatives? Ideally that use a 5v supply with a USB mini-B connector the same as Nextbase?

Why don't you ask Halfords for an exchange? If it's a faulty battery, the replacement is likely to be fine.

Hi Paul, I intend to get a refund. The point I am making is this appears to be a known issue with these dashcams, and has been for some time. If I only accept a replacement, what are the odds I'll run into the same problem with the replacement?

It's possible I suppose, of course.

Is yours front and rear?

One thought I had was if the setup was used with both cams, but before placing the rear, just run it in situ near the front cam (i.e. testing it before it's fed all the way to the back) to see if it works correctly.

I doubt anyone would try this mind...

I have the 522 front only, runs with no issues, though it's placed to not video but to give me a gps Speedo :)

Maybe battery issues occur with 2 cams not one?

Paul.

Last edited:
For the past 4 years I’ve run both front and rear cams on 522. Although the battery is not as it was when new, never has it corrupted any final file. If this is your only concern, change the clip lengths to 1 minute.

Thanks for your suggestions. Setting record length to 1 minute did cross my mind as a work around, however a new product shouldn't need a workaround. Regarding corrupted files, this now happens with the 512 that I was replacing with the 522. With the 512, the last video file it creates during which the car is switched off, cannot be read by my computer - the computer throws an error about a missing 'codec'. However, all preceding files, i.e. recorded before the engine was switched off, work fine. I have no idea how long ago this problem started, I only discovered it by chance, but was aware the 512's battery didn't seem to be working properly during the recent cold weather. I had 2-3 years out of the 512, so I'm not sore about that. Regarding alternatives to the 522, I am now looing at the Kenwood dashcams, as they seem to use the same supply i.e. 5v and a USB mini-B connector. That I way I can retain the Nextbase power supply I 'hard wired' (hate that expression) into the car for the 512.

A slightly different workaround would be to connect the Nextbase hard wire kit to a permanently live fuse, and rely on the kit's promise that it monitors car battery voltage to prevent it draining the car battery. Currently I have it connected to a switched fuse (only powered when the ignition is in the 'accessory' position or on). In practice I may not have that much choice, because it's not possible to put the fuse tap into a lot of the fuse positions due to phyiscal obstructions.

So does the Viofo A119 V3, I'm still using my Nextbase HWK

The piggy back fuse is such a simple solution , but where it’s not possible a splice would work to aid final appearance.

The potential snag with using a fuse tap is selecting a correct fuse. I've seen quite a few installs where the chosen fuse loses power when the starter is cranked.

This then produces the scenario where the unit gets power when the key is turned and starts to boot, then loses power when the starter is turning and starts to shutdown. Before it's shutdown power is restored but the unit, being in shutdown mode, ignores it.

It's a pain, but you need to be very careful, using a multimeter, to find a circuit that stays live during starter motor operation. In my experience these are often circuits that only become live when the key is in position 2. Not position 1, accessory mode.

Back to the topic, a dead battery on arrival probably indicates a device that has been on the shelf a long time and that has killed the battery.

If Nextbase prefer to use batteries rather than super capacitors then make them easily replaceable like most battery products.

Quote“The potential snag with using a fuse tap is selecting a correct fuse. I've seen quite a few installs where the chosen fuse loses power when the starter is cranked.”Unquote.

This is where the professionalism of the installer comes into play. Therefore not a Nextbase fault. It’s always so easy to blame the product, when in fact it is the installation.

I agree, installation is critical but in this case it looks like a dead battery off the shelf.

Just as an update, I've been in touch with both Nextbase and Halfords over this issue. Nextbase's reply was interesting, I've gone back to them to make sure there wasn't a typo in their tech support's email to me because the advice contradicts the instructions that come with the 522GW. Someone mentioned that a dead battery in a new product might indicate it has been on a shelf for too long. I think that could well be the case. Halfords have loads of these in store and are selling them in bundle deal. Everything I've done to charge the device both in a house (from a USB socket) and in the car makes no difference, it is clearly a dud. The annoying thing is, it is not something you can easily demonstrate to someone who doesn't want to believe it. To do that I'd have to charge it for 2 hours in front of them, then power it up and show it shuts down after a few seconds. Otherwise you just get fobbed off with nonsense about charging it for longer. I hate this kind of problem with a electronics: faults that are either transient or require specific but nonetheless real circumstances to reveal themselves. I'm trying to get a refund from Halfords, and boy, the reaction I got the first time I said the word 'refund' in the shop was unbelievable. An aggressive store manager who I wasn't even talking to (I was talking to another member of staff) started yelling "there's no refunds", came storming over, really quite aggressive, and started blathering about some long and convulted process whereby I almost certainly won't be getting a refund. It was quite a shock in terms of attitude, and I get the sinking feeling I am now learning a hard lesson, the hard way, about Halfords. I have started that refund process, I've checked and yes I am entitled to refund on a faulty product because I've returned it within 30 days. But it's a process that's not transparent. I'll see how things progress before giving more details on that.

Kremmen - thanks for mentioning the Viofo dashcam's compatibility with the Nextbase HWK, and the starter motor problem, although that doesn't appear to affect my install which is on an accessory circuit. Liking the HSB reference in your signature too...

It seems to be then, this battery issue, may be a problem with over-stocking items leading to them resulting in a loss of functionality. Perhaps Halford ought to consider their asset holdings in branches to eradicate the potential "old age" issue.

Hope you get the refund completed. It's a probable cause of Halford's storage causing a fault, rather than Nextbase's supply (causing the fault).

Paul.

Do any of us get an off the production line product. How long are they held in country of manufacture before shipping to UK? How long before they clear customs and go to central distribution, then once at the store ( in this case Halfords) is stock rotation done? In short I would say never. But from production to installation could be many many months. How old is the battery before it goes into a camera? The mind boggles.

That Halfords story reminds me of UK Currys, ex PC World and Carphone Warehouse. They were alleged to get manufacturer discount because they said they would fight refunds and insist on a repair, even within your return window.
You can legally return faulty items and demand a refund for faulty products within 30 days.
I had a similar issue with the old Comet electrical store 2 decades ago, but as soon as I showed the manager my Which? Legal card he refunded me straight away. He didn't want possible publicity.
I now only buy from Currys items that can't break like printer paper.

I hope Nextbase forthcoming IQ dash cam is capacitor based or has a user replaceable battery like many electrical items.
Can you get rechargeable button batteries ?

Hi everyone, I just want to share my experience of this product so that others may avoid the mistake of purchasing it. I've used a Nextbase dashcam for the past 2-3 years, but am now looking for a better brand of dashcam that is more reliable (or even just functional). Here's what has happened:

Two days ago I bought a 522GW to replace an earlier 512GW. The 512GW battery was dead, so the last video clips it was recording were corrupted, not ideal as in a crash the engine may cut out, or be turned off quickly, thereby making he vital piece of evidence recorded by the dashcam unreadable. As instructed I charged the new 522GW for a full 2 hours before first use, however it's battery drains to nothing in 3-4 seconds. I have charged it multiple times, been for long drives with it - makes no difference. It is functionally useless to me, because the last video clip it records will be unreadable. Looking on forums I see this is a common problem with this model, and has been for at least 2 years. It really is appaling to be selling products with known defects year after year. Just for context, I purchased this 522GW brand new, in sealed packaging, from Halfords, as part of a front and rear Nextbase bundle. I haven't installed the rear cam, and won't be after reading reviews on this forum of how the 522GW fails to record correctly with a rear cam installed. I thought Nextbase were a leading brand in dashcams, and having used them previously felt they were reliable so didn't read any dashcam reviews. I was tempted by the straightforward replacement the 522GW would be to the 512GW. That was a mistake - avoid 522GW.

Any suggestions on better alternatives? Ideally that use a 5v supply with a USB mini-B connector the same as Nextbase?
I too have purchased a 522GW front and rear package which depletes its battery in seconds. I bought from Amazon. Nextbase gave me a battery diagnostics and confirmed the the battery was knackered. So I have purchased a brand new item not fit for its intended purpose. Amazon’s only remedy is to offer a full refund within two weeks of them receiving the unit at their depot. Nextbase do not want to know and refer me back to Amazon. Amazon’s supplier, iZilla, who have my money also do not want to know and refer me back to Amazon. My preferred solution is for Nextbase to send me a fresh battery which has not been in storage for so long that it has discharged below 3 volts (this is the usual problem with this type of new battery failure - once voltage drops below 3 v it is unsalvageable), but all I get from them is “Go back to Amazon”. No body seems to care about the issues which accompany being sold faulty goods. I made a good job of hiding the power supply wire behind the trim - now it has to come out and a replacement fed back in. I must prise off the windscreen the stuck on power supply socket - then stick another one on. Amazon want everything back which was supplied in the original packaging. I have a choice of paying again for a replacement before I get my refund maybe a month later, or waiting for my refund before getting a replacement i.e. being without a dashcam for a month maybe to Prevent being out of pocket. I have a discount on my car insurance because of having a dashcam, so if I wait for my refund I will be in breach of my insurance criteria and will have to notify the company that I do not have a dashcam. Lose the discount. Then a month later inform then again that I have a dashcam and can I please have my discount back.
If Nextbase would just send a fully operational replacement battery and instructions on how to replace it life would be so much more simple. After all it is their product which is at fault.

I too have purchased a 522GW front and rear package which depletes its battery in seconds. I bought from Amazon. Nextbase gave me a battery diagnostics and confirmed the the battery was knackered. So I have purchased a brand new item not fit for its intended purpose. Amazon’s only remedy is to offer a full refund within two weeks of them receiving the unit at their depot. Nextbase do not want to know and refer me back to Amazon. Amazon’s supplier, iZilla, who have my money also do not want to know and refer me back to Amazon. My preferred solution is for Nextbase to send me a fresh battery which has not been in storage for so long that it has discharged below 3 volts (this is the usual problem with this type of new battery failure - once voltage drops below 3 v it is unsalvageable), but all I get from them is “Go back to Amazon”. No body seems to care about the issues which accompany being sold faulty goods. I made a good job of hiding the power supply wire behind the trim - now it has to come out and a replacement fed back in. I must prise off the windscreen the stuck on power supply socket - then stick another one on. Amazon want everything back which was supplied in the original packaging. I have a choice of paying again for a replacement before I get my refund maybe a month later, or waiting for my refund before getting a replacement i.e. being without a dashcam for a month maybe to Prevent being out of pocket. I have a discount on my car insurance because of having a dashcam, so if I wait for my refund I will be in breach of my insurance criteria and will have to notify the company that I do not have a dashcam. Lose the discount. Then a month later inform then again that I have a dashcam and can I please have my discount back.
If Nextbase would just send a fully operational replacement battery and instructions on how to replace it life would be so much more simple. After all it is their product which is at fault.
Hello,

Thanks for your message, I'm sorry to hear that you've had an issue with your 522GW. If you are within the warranty period, the warranty is handled by iZilla (the seller). As Nextbase do not sell directly via Amazon, I'm afraid we do not hold the warranty as this is with the retailer (in this case iZilla).

If you are within the warranty, iZilla will replace the dashcam for you. I would recommend contacting iZilla directly by phone on 01223 967 986 or emailing them via customerservices@izilla.co.uk in order to facilitate an exchange.
Please let us know if you have any further difficulties with iZilla.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hello,

Thanks for your message, I'm sorry to hear that you've had an issue with your 522GW. If you are within the warranty period, the warranty is handled by iZilla (the seller). As Nextbase do not sell directly via Amazon, I'm afraid we do not hold the warranty as this is with the retailer (in this case iZilla).

If you are within the warranty, iZilla will replace the dashcam for you. I would recommend contacting iZilla directly by phone on 01223 967 986 or emailing them via customerservices@izilla.co.uk in order to facilitate an exchange.
Please let us know if you have any further difficulties with iZilla.

Kind regards,
Millie
Thank you for the response. I have been in contact with iZilla . Their response was the same as yours. No help, no exchange, no replacement part. Only take it up with Amazon. Taking it up with Amazon and it’s policy of only offering a refund gives me more problems. My 522GW was purchased on 25 November 2022. The problem only came to light about ten days ago when I removed the dashcam from the car to view on a PC.
Lesson I have gained from this experience is do not buy Nextbase products, do not buy anything supplied by iZilla, avoid future purchases from Amazon wherever possible. Everybody can take your money instantly, but offer no help when a problem arises, or take up to two weeks to give back the money they took instantly.

Thank you for the response. I have been in contact with iZilla . Their response was the same as yours. No help, no exchange, no replacement part. Only take it up with Amazon. Taking it up with Amazon and it’s policy of only offering a refund gives me more problems. My 522GW was purchased on 25 November 2022. The problem only came to light about ten days ago when I removed the dashcam from the car to view on a PC.
Lesson I have gained from this experience is do not buy Nextbase products, do not buy anything supplied by iZilla, avoid future purchases from Amazon wherever possible. Everybody can take your money instantly, but offer no help when a problem arises, or take up to two weeks to give back the money they took instantly.

Hello,

It's iZilla's legal duty to replace the product under warranty, they cannot refuse unless the damage is not warrantable. Please can private message me screenshots showing your correspondence with iZilla and their refusal to replace the product. I can then assist further with this.

Kind regards,
Millie

Update - after going back and forth with Nextbase (manufacturer), iZilla (seller), and Amazon (agent), in the words of Mick Jagger “I can’t get no satisfaction” over the issue with my six week old 522GW. Admittedly. Amazon did offer a full refund (not a replacement), but that left me with a choice of being out of pocket, or without a dashcam for up to three weeks. Not the solution I found acceptable either way. iZilla just plain did not want to know about the problem and kept on referring me back to Amazon, therefore offering no customer service at all and side stepping their legal obligation as the supplier who has my money. Nextbase were pretty helpful and offered to replace the battery, but that failed as I have now moved from U.K. to France. They could not help in France.
So, many lessons learnt in this saga. As a money paying customer CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Back