612GW

That throbbing problem was with the LED itself, not the camera. Think I've solved it.

Just a short ride around a the country lanes near my home Thanks to Elton John & his record label, hopefully YT will not block the audio, "Song For Guy".

Recorded in 4K, so if you can get 2160p then do so to see the nicer video. I do think the 1080 monitors and HD televisions dull down the footage.

If the music is dubbed out by YouTube, then accept my apologies (it may go off under copyright). I have also however added the raw file with the audio in the Mega link.

Just for the few who are still unsure, I do believe that different circumstances affect blur and clarity (especially light) so I have added a couple of screenshots of two cars that passed in the opposite direction which have lovely clear number plates.

Beamer.jpg Old Driver.jpg

And here is the footage:

And the link:

LINK TO FILE

Paul.

Last edited:
612 OWNERS QUESTION

Brought a 612gw and I must say I like the touch screen and some of the improvements but I don’t know if I have a faulty one or not but when I remove the camera from the mount it dies within 30 seconds. My 512gw has about a 30 minutes of battery life after being removed from the power. Also when transferring files it shuts down whilst in the car, again my 512gw never did this?????

Any 612 owners getting similar???

Battery is supposed to last 15 minutes but lasts nowhere near that when new and fully charged. So parking mode is 50% more useless than 512GW.

It automatically goes into standby mode for me as well whilst transferring high resolution file via WiFi.
I’ve tried with parking mode off as well makes no difference. Sometimes it just crashes and freezes I have to hit the reset button. I’ve only been able to successfully transfer 3 files since I’ve had the had it usually after hitting reset button it works.

Battery is supposed to last 15 minutes but lasts nowhere near that when new and fully charged. So parking mode is 50% more useless than 512GW.

It automatically goes into standby mode for me as well whilst transferring high resolution file via WiFi.
I’ve tried with parking mode off as well makes no difference. Sometimes it just crashes and freezes I have to hit the reset button. I’ve only been able to successfully transfer 3 files since I’ve had the had it usually after hitting reset button it works.

sounds like you might have got a faulty one, it happens unfortunately, should be no issue to get the retailer to replace it for you though

My battery is fine.

I can transfer all my files with no issues either.

In essence, works with no problems.

612 OWNERS QUESTION

Brought a 612gw and I must say I like the touch screen and some of the improvements but I don’t know if I have a faulty one or not but when I remove the camera from the mount it dies within 30 seconds. My 512gw has about a 30 minutes of battery life after being removed from the power. Also when transferring files it shuts down whilst in the car, again my 512gw never did this?????

Any 612 owners getting similar???

The 612GW has around 15 minutes of battery life when fully charged (a good 2 hours). Yours lasting a few seconds isn’t right though, I recommend trying to charge if it’s the same get the item returned. Halfords will be more than happy to do this for you.

Let’s try again!

Halfords were fairly good tbh, they had to ring nextbase to get some authorisation number but they didn’t quibble about replacing it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 14
Let’s try again!

Halfords were fairly good tbh, they had to ring nextbase to get some authorisation number but they didn’t quibble about replacing it

Let me know if it’s any better. I might have a faulty unit as well.

A friend is on his third unit. It's difficult to know but the symptoms seem to be power related.

From his email I suspect he's not pushing the unit fully home as he's had a few times when it's fallen out of the mount. He reckons that when he first turns on the ignition the unit powers up. When he then starts the car the dip in power turns it off and it never recovers !

I'm suspicious as no one else has this issue. He also reckons he's has 6 firmware updates in 6 weeks !

Last edited:
A friend is on his third unit. It's difficult to know but the symptoms seem to be power related.

From his email I suspect he's not pushing the unit fully home as he's had a few times when it's fallen out of the mount. He reckons that when he first turns on the ignition the unit powers up. When he then starts the car the dip in power turns it off and it never recovers !

I'm suspicious as no one else has this issue. He also reckons he's has 6 firmware updates in 6 weeks !

Since it's only been available since the last days of October, I find 6 weeks something of an exaggeration!

Hi @Kremmen I am familiar with this particular customer and his troubles so far, he hasn't done 6 updates.

The units haven't had 6 updates in 6 weeks this is untrue, there has only been one update and that was from 3.1 to 3.7.

I'm glad I said I was suspicious and that I reckon he's at fault.

I'll ignore what he says from now on. I feel sort of guilty because I pointed him to have a look at the 612 specs.

I was intrigued to see what hardware these are based on - it appears to be an Ambarella ARM based platform with a Sony 8Mpixel IMX317 sensor, same as that used in the Xiaomi Mijia 4K camera (and from a post by @Agie the same as the Sony FDR-X3000 too).

The Xioami is paired with an A12S75- the Nextbase is also A12 based, just not sure of the exact model.

Judging by the mount and the firmware it's made by Samoon.

Don't know what these do but these files are referenced in the firmware if anyone is bored and fancies a play - please be warned these are usually service use only though - your milage may vary.

C:\LowSpd.txt
C:\SD_LOW_SPEED.txt
C:\focusing_samoon.txt
C:\Nextbase.info
C:\TEST_GPS.TXT
C:\TEST_GSENSOR.TXT
C:\LIGHT_ADC.TXT
C:\NEXTBASE_GSENSOR.TXT
C:\TP_TEST.TXT
C:\MISC\wifi.conf

Last edited:
I was intrigued to see what hardware these are based on - it appears to be an Ambarella ARM based platform with a Sony 8Mpixel IMX317 sensor, same as that used in the Xiaomi Mijia 4K camera (and from a post by @Agie the same as the Sony FDR-X3000 too).

The Xioami is paired with an A12S75- the Nextbase is also A12 based, just not sure of the exact model.

Judging by the mount and the firmware it's made by Samoon.

Don't know what these do but these files are referenced in the firmware if anyone is bored and fancies a play - please be warned these are usually service use only though - your milage may vary.

C:\LowSpd.txt
C:\SD_LOW_SPEED.txt
C:\focusing_samoon.txt
C:\Nextbase.info
C:\TEST_GPS.TXT
C:\TEST_GSENSOR.TXT
C:\LIGHT_ADC.TXT
C:\NEXTBASE_GSENSOR.TXT
C:\TP_TEST.TXT
C:\MISC\wifi.conf

/misc/wifi.conf is a file that lets you to configure various wifi parameters and modes (AP, client)
I briefly explored it on JooVuu here:
Wi-Fi client mode, telnet access
Seems to be standard part of later Ambarella SDK - Git F1 and SGDC have it as well.

Well, I have now bought the hardwire kit (£15 off Amazon) and you know what?

It's bloody fantastic.

Get in car, turn on ignition, camera works.

Well pleased. Took 5 minutes to fit it and it's simply perfect.

I've had mine hardwired from day 1. I got a 90 degree mini usb cable for the 412 so the cable goes straight up into the headlining because the hardwire kit usb is straight.

My Civic has a series of dedicated accessories pins in the fusebox. I have my Garmin wired to the pin that supplies power from ignition key positions 1 & 2 and the Nextbase on the pin for ignition position 2 only.

It means that it only fires up when I actually start the engine whereas I can use the Garmin before I start the engine if I need to.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Alarm man 612GW 25
D 612GW 9
L 612GW 12
megamih 612GW 20
Rickn55 612GW 7
Back