A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

"But hey, in Germany, you can end up before a court, when you point your forfinger against your temple..."

you mean like a gun? so you go to court for saying you want to commit suicide? sigh...

besides - can you be blamed for swearing if some idiot crashed into you or otherwise caused you to crash? lucky the cops were right behind you, either way.

Actually more like "flipping the bird"... But anyway, this has nothing to do with the A118, I got away with a "black eye", so - let's rest this off-topic for good ok (is somehow embarrassing) ;)

I actually have a question: what's the powerconsumption of the A118?

The included Loading-Device can deliver 1000mA - is this what the Cam is using while recording?

(I have only one car-"cigar"-jack (?), but need two devices (GPS & Cam) to be "energized" -> I have a Multi-Loading-Device with to USB-Ports, but only with 1000mA-Output; would it be possible to connect a normal USB-Cable with one Port and the A118, and the GPS to the other? (GPS is not using that much))

If it helps I've tested with a Scosche twin USB adaptor that is rated up to 2.4a per channel and that can easily charge an iPhone 5S and run a dash cam at the same time. If you've only got 1a total across two ports you may have an issue - the easiest way is try it and see. Worst case you just buy something like the Scosche or Wicked Chilli adaptors that support greater output.

I also have a two way adaptor in the rear which runs two dash cams (I'm currently running three dash cams and a phone charger in the car) and all is fine.

By definition the device has to use less than 1000mA. Chances are it's closer to 800 if i had to guess.

personally i hardwired mine so there's no visible wiring and the lighter socket is still free for whatever. look for the thread about professional installation - i linked to the hardwire adapter i used. i'd link it again but im on my phone so its not as easy for me.

By definition the device has to use less than 1000mA. Chances are it's closer to 800 if i had to guess.

personally i hardwired mine so there's no visible wiring and the lighter socket is still free for whatever. look for the thread about professional installation - i linked to the hardwire adapter i used. i'd link it again but im on my phone so its not as easy for me.

Question: wouldnt it be cheaper to just wire in an extra cigarette power port behind the dash and then plug the camera's power cord into it instead of buyign a whole separate kit?

edit: I just saw the kit you got. $13 isnt bad at all! I was thinking it would be upwards of about $30. Cool beans, man.

Last edited:
the thing i like most about the hardwired kit is how small it is. The box part is small enough that it could fit completely inside the lighter socket, so it's very easy to tuck away inside the headliner and thus keep 100% of the wiring right there next to the camera. I didn't have to deal with fishing wires all over the place. I only had to take off the little overhead console to get to its wiring. My whole install took about 10 minutes including the time it took to find my wife's keys ;)

edit: spelleng iz harrd

Last edited:
I also gave the Idea of an extra port the chance, but my car's already 17 years old (hopefully it will reach an even higher age), so I don't want to "perform major upgrades" as I'm new to the "i'll do this by myself"-business (and would have to get a powersorce near the actual cigarette lighter, as there is quiet no electrical equipment in the car's ceiling)...

So hardwiring is no alternative... (at least in this car) So I'll go for the test as soon I've found the mini-USB-Cable...

I also gave the Idea of an extra port the chance, but my car's already 17 years old (hopefully it will reach an even higher age), so I don't want to "perform major upgrades" as I'm new to the "i'll do this by myself"-business (and would have to get a powersorce near the actual cigarette lighter, as there is quiet no electrical equipment in the car's ceiling)...

So hardwiring is no alternative... (at least in this car) So I'll go for the test as soon I've found the mini-USB-Cable...

i feel your pain on the old car angle. The a118 I own is in my wife's 2008 toyota sienna. However, my car is a 1998 toyota camry, which i also expect to last me several more years, and i have an f70 in there. i wired it different though, because back then i didn't know about those hardwire kits, and i happened to have a spare lighter socket that i could add. so i rigged it up so that the useless "sunglass holder" in the roof console now has an extra lighter socket inside, and i just use the power cord that came w/ the F70 and snake its cable out to the camera. of course since the f70 is a dual camera unit, i still had to run a cable around to the rear camera, but that wasn't a big deal, especially since my old camry doesn't have side airbags to worry about.

if i had known about the hardwire kit when i got my F70, i would have used one in my camry, too. would have been simpler, smaller, and cleaner since the new socket and power cord (and all of the extra wire, wrapped up), take up the entire sunglass holder. but since my sunglasses don't fit in there anyway, it doesn't bother me that the box is used up. but the main purpose was that i wanted to keep both of my lighter sockets free for use with phone chargers.

and if your USB adapter only provides 1 amp (1A = 1000 mA), i really doubt it will be enough to run a GPS or phone in addition to the dashcam. if the adapter provided 2 amps it would be fine, but 1 amp is pretty low current in terms of most devices these days.

also, you mentioned there's no power source in your car's ceiling - that may not be true. some cars had options for things like a trip computer or a sunroof/moonroof, and those are key-switched. even if the car doesn't have a sunroof, it may have the wiring for it already there in the head liner. it was there in my camry even though i don't have a sunroof, so i was easily able to tie into that for key-switched power.

Last edited:
Oh wow ok, even though I've read the posts about dark night footage and seen videos I didn't realise quite how dark the A118 was going to be in comparison to the GT680W at night time when going through my rear tinted window.

Detail is there when there's a really bright light source like a sign, but dark roads it's just really pure black.

Daytime it's really swings and roundabouts between the two.

Looking forward to trying the Mobius next!

GT680W:
https://mega.co.nz/#!odVFyTDB!gFw_DfDX_pLDCCxU80WWhaauWbZoZU7_6hxVSqKiTUc
https://mega.co.nz/#!5RcgAKAJ!zSEY_-pT55D8oV2JD-0XIutkjMBXqdmEQj8X8fDkCB0

A118:
https://mega.co.nz/#!dJFSnTqZ!3Ywbr4N9QLu0_pE6_ViEXPqJfJekpr2x_5gh-kdFK3A
https://mega.co.nz/#!FAkmwTpb!1skqnJ6EhS0R6NEmdU0uAeA38ALxq8Jb-BYivE1BO8c
https://mega.co.nz/#!IM91RQya!SeFafU4v7dZWdvqGVKajVgQm6Lo1lQCXO607xdJxzz8

Hey guys,
I am trying to update this camera as per the steps in the first post.
I have been stuck on step 5 for about 40 mins now. I connected usb to the cam with sd card in it. Camera is lit up and it says "Welcome" on the screen...and it doesnt turn off or proceed to the next step.

How do i know if the cam has been updated? i dont want to disconnect and interrupt the process.

Hi Chris, may I know does it record automatically when you start to drive?

Thanks for your advise. As I am considering if I should get one of this.

Hi Jason,

I'm not Chris, but I think my answer will be as useful:
YES, the camera starts recording as soon it gets Power...

My B40/A118 came in the mail today! I think it's the fastest I've ever gotten something from overseas. Ordered on Friday August 1st (from the foxoffer1 ebay store), so it wouldn't have shipped until I'm guessing Monday the 4th, so ~10 business days to Canada.

I have newer firmware than what is listed in the OP.

b40.20140717.001

I don't know where to get updated firmware if there is anything newer, but anyway, that's what came on mine.

I just did a quick video around the house to see if everything is working and there are no problems so far. I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 32GB microSDHC Class 10/UHS-1 (on a 5 minute loop) and am having no issues so far.

The splash screen when I turn on the cam says "VIOFO".

Now I just need my car delivered from the dealership so I can actually use this thing... It shouldn't be taking them more than 3 weeks to ship a car to you after you've paid in full for it...

wish there was an easy way to extract the firmware from a device so others of us could try it out. that said, you got it from foxoffer, so maybe they'd be willing to share...

freight time for cars depends on where and what you bought. teslas have a several month lead time from what i've read (i certainly can't afford one), and delorean is even longer (i used to work there). other major manufacturers also have a long lead time for certain models... like corvettes, and of course exotics. then again i expect if you can afford an exotic you probably aren't going to buy a cheap dashcam like this.

Yeah, I'd be willing to rip the firmware and put it here if I knew how to do it.

My car is nothing exotic. It's just a compact city car, which is good for me since I'm going back to school for a second bachelors and just needed an upgraded runabout, and a good chunk of my savings is going back into tuition... It's a new 2014 Veloster. They had to ship it from Toronto, Ontario to Winnipeg, Manitoba because they didn't have the colour I wanted at the dealership. The provinces are right next to each other so distance wise it isn't very far. Also, considering it's just a sportyish, mass produced, economy car, there shouldn't be any issues with inventory.

So really, even if the train ride took a while, 3 weeks is ridiculous.

at the toyota dealer i used to work at (as a mechanic) we did dealer trades all the time for just your situation. customer wanted XYZ options in blue but we only had white, so someone would drive the white one to another dealer that had a blue one, then drive the blue one back. for longer distances they'd put it on a flatbed truck so as not to rack up miles on the car, but there were cases where a dealer trade was driven 200 miles each way, and across state lines, to get what the customer wanted. personally i wouldn't appreciate it if my brand new car arrived to me with over 200 miles already on it, but whatever. not my car. then again the "newest" car i've ever bought already had 66,000 miles on it.

maybe nobody had one and so they have to ship it from korea. (hyundai is korean, right?) or alabama. take your pick as to which is worse... ;)

Back