A118C "NoGPS" Problem...

Thanks. I have followed these steps but when I connect the power (with micro card with the firmware on), the dashcam starts as normal. No upgrade is started :-(.
It happened to me as same. But i extract the .bin file with my android phone to the sd card. After that, i did it with a pc and it worked as well.

It happened to me as same. But i extract the .bin file with my android phone to the sd card. After that, i did it with a pc and it worked as well.

Do it in Windows. I think the Linux(Android) kernel FAT module has some oscure bugs.

Do it in Windows. I think the Linux(Android) kernel FAT module has some oscure bugs.
not exactly. if you delete files in linux or mac, it leaves a dotted folder on the card, but the card needs to be completely blank except for the bin file. you can do that in linux by formatting the card before copying the update file, so it's not difficult.

not exactly. if you delete files in linux or mac, it leaves a dotted folder on the card, but the card needs to be completely blank except for the bin file. you can do that in linux by formatting the card before copying the update file, so it's not difficult.

I delete files from command line(rm) and as I said before, there is a bug in the FAT module or "cp" is doing something wrong on fat fs.

I've had no trouble with mine (mint 17.2 KDE). I use a monoprice USB-A/micro-USB (otg with my Android devices) adapter to plug the micro SD cards into my desktop PC which doesn't have a built-in card reader. Also works with a USB sata dock which also has memory card slots. What distro are you running? Even at a command line, RM -RF should still work, no matter if it's fat32, NTFS or a *nix journaling file system.

How can you use CP to delete files? MV makes more sense, but obviously RM was made for that.

Thank you all for your help!
I have finally got it working .. to a degree.
After installing the latest firmware (copying from Ubuntu screwed it up, Windows was OK; 20160316 did not work with GPS, 20160130 does), I managed to get the GPS working on the dash-cam. Displayed speed is incredibly correct.
However, the GPS values are not stored in the video metadata. In RegistratorViewer and other video viewers, the metadata field is empty.

Aprilia, I am wondering whether it works for you?

Thank you all for your help!
I have finally got it working .. to a degree.
After installing the latest firmware (copying from Ubuntu screwed it up, Windows was OK; 20160316 did not work with GPS, 20160130 does), I managed to get the GPS working on the dash-cam. Displayed speed is incredibly correct.
However, the GPS values are not stored in the video metadata. In RegistratorViewer and other video viewers, the metadata field is empty.

Aprilia, I am wondering whether it works for you?

I have no problem with 20160316 firmware. Gps is actually working and in registrator viewer i can see my speed and location correctly.
If you want i can upload a video from my cam.

Jeah, just update my A118 (battery version) with 20160316 (capacitor firmware) evrything working well (GPS speed in cam, metadata in reg. viewer, and night rec. quality much beter than earlier streetguardian or 20150403 firmware)

I have no problem with 20160316 firmware. Gps is actually working and in registrator viewer i can see my speed and location correctly.
If you want i can upload a video from my cam.
Thank you for your offer. I would really appreciate a sample file with GPS!

It works!! Thanks a lot Aprilia! Nice video, by the way.
However for it to work even with your file, I had to use a newer version of Registrator Viewer (version 6.0.0.8, aka Datakam player). The reason I could not see the GPS data yesterday was that I was using version 5.4.0.8. Without you I would have never thought my files contain GPS and that it was the old version of Datakam player that was to blame.

I am unable to upgrade or downgrade the firmware on my a118c. I have done everything listed here. I am running into the same GPS issue. My firmware is 2017 something so its even newer than what is in this thread, or on this page. However I would like to try the firmware suggested here that fixes my exact issue. My A118c is made by Car Black Box, no matter what I do, or how many times I format my SD card it will not try any upload the firmware. I have formatted (FAT32) and loaded the .bin file on the root 4 times now and no luck. I have 2 of these with the same GPS issue and both are doing the same thing. can anyone help? I really want to use the GPS function, everything else seems to work fine, but both of these wont see the GPS module.

I am unable to upgrade or downgrade the firmware on my a118c. I have done everything listed here. I am running into the same GPS issue. My firmware is 2017 something so its even newer than what is in this thread, or on this page. However I would like to try the firmware suggested here that fixes my exact issue. My A118c is made by Car Black Box, no matter what I do, or how many times I format my SD card it will not try any upload the firmware. I have formatted (FAT32) and loaded the .bin file on the root 4 times now and no luck. I have 2 of these with the same GPS issue and both are doing the same thing. can anyone help? I really want to use the GPS function, everything else seems to work fine, but both of these wont see the GPS module.
Are you trying to load a firmware version that does not belong to your camera? Best bet is to contact the manufacturer or the seller you bought it from to get the latest version for your camera.

My A118c is made by Car Black Box

it's the copy version, don't use any firmware you find on the site here as it won't suit your version and would likely break it anyway, best to contact the seller and ask them if they have an updated firmware for your camera, also check that you have the correct GPS antenna, they may all look the same, they are not all the same inside

I have reached out to the seller and they are clueless. I will search car black box, however the dashcam is identical to the one pictured in this thread, and is the same as every other a118c I have found. Are they any different other than the manufacture name on the splash screen and the box they come in? These are all made in the same factory in China I assume..

These are all made in the same factory in China I assume..

they rely heavily on that assumption to get sales, there are many versions of these, yours is a copy of the original 96650 + AR0330 version, it does not use the same firmware, the hardware is different

good to know, thank you! im wondering if it even supports GPS, even tho the seller included a GPS module. I will reach out to the seller again. I am coming up short with "car black box" website or any support on the web..

good to know, thank you! im wondering if it even supports GPS, even tho the seller included a GPS module. I will reach out to the seller again. I am coming up short with "car black box" website or any support on the web..

yeah unfortunately when they choose a name like that you're going to get a million hits before you find a support website, if one even exists

talk to the seller if they supplied the GPS as well

does it have any on screen indication of the GPS status?

Yes. it says "no GPS" when I turn on the feature in the menu. Same error message the OP has in his screen shot.

if it says no GPS is not detecting it so could be the wrong GPS (it happens even if from the same seller) or it could be a firmware issue, either way something you need to take up with the seller, were they locally based or out of China?

Back