A119 Firmware

Another bug for A119 firmware version 4.00 appears when I stop recording by pressing the REC button, the camera starts the expected repeated double beeps and stops recording judging by the absence of the blinking red dot on the LCD screen, but the REC button light does not blink as it has in the past and does now on my A119S. Re-loaded firmware, defaulted settings, verified the Firmware version was A119_180827_4.00, and still have same problem with REC light not blinking when the REC button is pressed to stop recording. Also rechecked the LDWS and FCWS problem reported above and it was still there.

Last edited:
Hi, I've come to post a bug with the official firmware v4.01.

When on filetype MP4 there seems to be a repeated occurrence to me that I get a "NO GPS" bug (there is no "0 km/h" indicator that is colored red or green but "NO GPS"). I have noticed this happening the next day after a long drive at night. I think it might have to do with the last file being written by the dashcam.

This bug is indefinite, when I get the NO GPS bug the dashcam is incapable of capturing coordinates the whole drive. The only way to reset this is to reflash another v4.01 firmware.

I seem to not get this bug when on TS or transport stream file format though.. Is there a problem with the MP4 format?

Yes I downloaded that version, v4.00 but once you install it and look at camera version it will state v4.01.
When installed, my menu selection "Version" read "A119_180827_V4.00". I'll try to look at the camera tomorrow to double check. Either Viofo has changed it without so indicating or your attempt to update didn't work. Where did you get 4.01?

When installed, my menu selection "Version" read "A119_180827_V4.00". I'll try to look at the camera tomorrow to double check. Either Viofo has changed it without so indicating or your attempt to update didn't work. Where did you get 4.01?
I got it from their official website, viofo firmware support under the A119 dash camera.

I got it from their official website, viofo firmware support under the A119 dash camera.
From the Viofo site or from The Polish Viofo retailer site? The Polish retailer site often publishes firmware with different version numbers. Many think the Polish site is an official Viofo website, but it is not, they are just a seller.

You are correct about V4.01. I downloaded the file at the top of the page where it says "A119 V4.0 Firmware" and loaded it into my A119. It loaded properly (about 50 seconds of blinking lights) and the menu Version reads "A119_180913_V4.01". Looks like @viofo did make a firmware change without changing the 4.0 number on the website or changing the Change Log. Maybe they are just working on it. Have not yet tested the new firmware.

If you need the 4.00 Version or 3.91 of the firmware I have stored on my hard drive. Private message me and I will send a Google drive link.

V4.01 appears to have fixed the problem reported here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a119-firmware.22223/page-43#post-432920. Did not fix the reported problem with confirming LDWS and FCWS OFF changing the Resolution to 1080P30.
that's why after firmware install and reset to defaults I change the settings starting the last entries in a Menu and the last setting I change is "Video Format" (if I want to set .TS). saves one reboot.
smile3.gif

Thanks for the offer for the previous versions, I will pm you when the time arises when i need to use them.

Right now I'm on TS file format and I have not enountered any bugs, GPS works smoothly. Only when I change to MP4 thats when I am sure I will get hit by the bug not long after.

This has already happened to me both on v4.00 and v4.01. I have no issues using TS except in a possible situation when I am in a fender bender and while at the police station they couldnt view my file.

Not that I have found it is a 24 hour clock only.

When on filetype MP4 there seems to be a repeated occurrence to me that I get a "NO GPS" bug (there is no "0 km/h" indicator that is colored red or green but "NO GPS"). I have noticed this happening the next day after a long drive at night. I think it might have to do with the last file being written by the dashcam.
I checked a few recent A119 recordings with file type MP4, FW V4.01, and could not confirm your problem with the GPS. I cannot watch my LCD screen while driving. FWIW, here are the screen indications (bench test) I get for different GPS configurations:
  • With GPS mount connected and GPS menu setting "ON", the LCD screen indicators are the dish and the red/green speed indicator.
  • With GPS mount connected or disconnected and GPS menu setting "OFF", I get no GPS indications on the screen at all.
  • Only with the GPS mount disconnected and GPS menu setting "ON" does the screen indicate "NO GPS" with no dish or red/green speed indicator displayed.
  • The menu setting for GPS Info Stamp does not appear to affect the LCD screen display.

Not that I have found it is a 24 hour clock only.

I see, I wish Viofo would add that option in their future firmware.

I checked a few recent A119 recordings with file type MP4, FW V4.01, and could not confirm your problem with the GPS. I cannot watch my LCD screen while driving. FWIW, here are the screen indications (bench test) I get for different GPS configurations:
  • With GPS mount connected and GPS menu setting "ON", the LCD screen indicators are the dish and the red/green speed indicator.
  • With GPS mount connected or disconnected and GPS menu setting "OFF", I get no GPS indications on the screen at all.
  • Only with the GPS mount disconnected and GPS menu setting "ON" does the screen indicate "NO GPS" with no dish or red/green speed indicator displayed.
  • The menu setting for GPS Info Stamp does not appear to affect the LCD screen display.
Thanks for looking into it. For me I just set GPS to ON and GPS Stamping to ON and then just forget about it.

I am sorry that I have been providing vague details on an issue i'm trying to identify myself. But fortunately I am able to provide more observations to my issue regarding GPS. I am on v4.00 5RF and on .TS file format, and yes I still got hit by the NO GPS issue.. Here is my status report.
  • After not using the vehicle for 2 days, I have acquired the NO GPS indicator.
  • I drove 30 mins into the city for errands. I maintain a NO GPS indicator.
  • Turned off the vehicle briefly when I reached destination.
  • Drove back home (another 30 mins), maintain NO GPS.
  • Turned off vehicle.
  • When I turned on the vehicle the third time I got the Satellite dish indicator on the dashcam and I am now able to acquire GPS coordinates.
Observations:
Does the GPS unit have its own capacitor?
It seems to be that I need to drive for several minutes without GPS to be able to acquire GPS the next time I turn on the dashcam.

It can take several minutes to obtain a satellite signal at times. I can not get a signal when parked outside my house but is OK when I move away. It may be your location regards the satellites that may be affecting you. Without stripping down a GPS unit there is no knowing if capacitors are used, but seems very unlikely to me.
It is probably just a satellite receiver that transfer info to the dash cam along with a power pass through. It is probably the number of satellite signal it as to chose from that may be causing the problem. I stand to be corrected by someone more electronical minded.
My stand alone GPS can receive signals from about 20 or more different satellites signals. I suspect the Viofo GPS receives a much fewer amount of signals. May be worth cleaning the contacts on the GPS and dash cam.
I have made the mistake before of not turning the GPS on in the dash cam and thinking it is not working.

I see, I wish Viofo would add that option in their future firmware.

Thanks for looking into it. For me I just set GPS to ON and GPS Stamping to ON and then just forget about it.

I am sorry that I have been providing vague details on an issue i'm trying to identify myself. But fortunately I am able to provide more observations to my issue regarding GPS. I am on v4.00 5RF and on .TS file format, and yes I still got hit by the NO GPS issue.. Here is my status report.
  • After not using the vehicle for 2 days, I have acquired the NO GPS indicator.
  • I drove 30 mins into the city for errands. I maintain a NO GPS indicator.
  • Turned off the vehicle briefly when I reached destination.
  • Drove back home (another 30 mins), maintain NO GPS.
  • Turned off vehicle.
  • When I turned on the vehicle the third time I got the Satellite dish indicator on the dashcam and I am now able to acquire GPS coordinates.
Observations:
Does the GPS unit have its own capacitor?
It seems to be that I need to drive for several minutes without GPS to be able to acquire GPS the next time I turn on the dashcam.
Agree with @borik. Check and clean the GPS to camera interface connections and stabilize the camera in the mount. The only time I could get the "NO GPS" LCD screen indication was when the camera was disconnected from the GPS mount and the GPS menu setting set to "ON". A poor GPS signal didn't cause the "NO GPS" indication on my bench test, you just don't get the green speed indication.

The GPS receives power when the USB power cable is connected to either the GPS Mount or Camera side port. The capacitors used to power the camera to a graceful shutdown when power is removed, saving the last file, are in the camera. Particularly on the V1 mount (which I have), power problems (flickering screen, camera power cycling on and off, and corrupted files) have been reported before when powering through the GPS mount, but I haven't heard of them otherwise causing a problem with only the GPS.

Last edited:
Back