A119. GPS does not work in modes 2560p 30fps and 1080p 60fps

The AGENT

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Hi all!
Recently purchased this recorder and was immediately faced with a problem. GPS does not work in modes 2560p 30fps and 1080p 60fps. In other modes there is no problem. Tried to flash the firmware version 2.0 and to reset - did not help. Technical support Viofo did not advise, in addition to reflash the DVR, and check whether the inserted power cable in GPS module and not in DVR))

Do you have someone same problem?

ага. попробовал подключить питание напрямую в камеру, как советовали? у меня обе так подключены.

Try with another cards.

@viofo I have the same problem, GPS showing on screen (mph is in red) but with no lock, I changed GPS to off and then changed the video resolution down to 1080p30 from 1440p30 and turned GPS back on again (mph turns green) and all works, changing it back to 1440p30 also works, but only until the camera is shut down and when I start it back up again it does not lock and I have to do it again, would this not be down to the firmware, power or something (I have V2 installed on the camera). Anyone's help would be great.

sounds like it might be a firmware glitch, as long as the same pattern can be replicated then it should be reasonably easy to get fixed, main thing is letting @viofo know so they can verify and get the engineer to sort it out

Thanks for that, what would be the best way of getting hold of them, I know they are on here.

Thanks again, just have to wait and see what they have to say about it.

We will do randomly checking for the stock A119.

Many Thanks for your reply, but what does that mean for me, What do I need to do?

@viofo I received my A119 last week from GearBest and I am having the same issues as described. It says on my dashcam "No GPS" even though the mini USB is connected to the GPS and not the camera. Videos dont even display the speed/GPS coordinates.

I am running v2.0

Any solution to this?

@viofo I received my A119 last week from GearBest and I am having the same issues as described. It says on my dashcam "No GPS" even though the mini USB is connected to the GPS and not the camera. Videos dont even display the speed/GPS coordinates.

I am running v2.0

Any solution to this?
Have you enabled GPS in the menu? Also, try plugging power into the the camera instead of the GPS mount.

Reactions: Mtz
confirmed GPS bug: just purchased the A119 Jan.28 2017 from latest shipment in Canada it has Firmware: A119_161216_V2.01
- probably a Beta FW no download site found so won't flash over just yet, but would like to see if V1.1 doesn't have these issues.
- still has the 1440P no-GPS bug, must change resolution to 1080P/30 then toggle GPS on/off to lock GPS, must repeat if unpowered for more than ~6 hours, same issue when powered from GPS module or cam.
- mono audio seems to be extremely low even from 6inches, but the internal beep sound is recorded nice and loud. Guessing from details below its low due to channel position being saved as Front: Center (only have 2 speaker stereo to preview)
Format : AAC
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 96.0 kb/s
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Channel positions : Front: C
Sampling rate : 32.0 kHz
Compression mode : Lossy

If I can find some raw A119 clips with audio from FW ver: 1.1, 2.0 I'll verify the audio properties and compare to the new FW v2.01 above.

Testing done both in car and out using:
- two 64 GB Lexar High-Performance microSDXC 633x Class10 USH-I cards
- two 32 GB Lexar High-Performance microSDHC 633x Class10 USH-I cards

Last edited:
Have you enabled GPS in the menu? Also, try plugging power into the the camera instead of the GPS mount.

I have tried the above already. I even tried changing the resolution/toggling gps off and on and still doesn't work :(

I have tried the above already. I even tried changing the resolution/toggling gps off and on and still doesn't work :(
Do the pins on the GPS mount OK? Do they spring back after being pushed down?

A119 firmware v2.xx temporary GPS bug fix :
1) verify the GPS module is getting power by noticing if the sat-icon & mph/kph display is red (if those indicators are missing its a power/cable/module issue)
2) stop recording > enter menu > change to 1080/30 > exit menu then allow to record for 3 seconds
3) stop recording > enter menu > toggle GPS off > exit menu then allow to record for 3 seconds
4) stop recording > enter menu > toggle GPS on > exit menu then allow to record for 5 mins

Do not unplug power between steps. GPS should lock within 2 mins but if in-doors or in weak area try moving locations. I've found strongest signal lock will occur if on windshield or holding as if attached to windshield not flat on table.
best to test in-doors powering A119 from short USB cable and phone/tablet 5volt/2amp adapter.

best guess as to why the higher resolutions cause GPS to fail :
- since loading the 1080p then 1440p from steps1-4 above will temporarily lock GPS on 1440p some GPS parameter or flag isn't initializing when powering up from the higher A119 resolutions. could be a typo or undefined variable lost during firmware v2 code revision.
- since 1080p/30 and lower all work seems possible during a firmware revision (1.1 to 2.0) the working 1080p GPS template was applied to the higher res options but not adjusted for the larger onscreen display positions causing the function to fail.

Last edited:
Do the pins on the GPS mount OK? Do they spring back after being pushed down?

Only 3 are springing out of the 4! Are all 4 meant to spring? Only 3 were sticking out when I initially bought it. Bahhhhhh!

But if the camera is working and i am plugging the USB directly to the GPS mount would it matter at all? I mean wouldn't the GPS mount get the power anyway?

Last edited:
But if the camera is working and i am plugging the USB directly to the GPS mount would it matter at all? I mean wouldn't the GPS mount get the power anyway?

power is one thing, if it's the TX pin that is stuck down you won't get any data

power is one thing, if it's the TX pin that is stuck down you won't get any data

You are right, it can't communicate with the dashcam to store the coordinates and speed, duhhhh! I placed a support ticket with Gearbest. I hope they can just give me a replacement. Seems like a QC issue as there have been multiple reports of this happening. @viofo you might need to revisit your QC!

You are right, it can't communicate with the dashcam to store the coordinates and speed, duhhhh! I placed a support ticket with Gearbest. I hope they can just give me a replacement. Seems like a QC issue as there have been multiple reports of this happening. @viofo you might need to revisit your QC!

they did recently change the GPS design so it's possibly related to whatever was changed, I'm sure they'll improve on that in due course, unfortunately sometimes you don't find a problem until after the product goes out, it happens

Gearbest should send you a replacement but if there's any issue getting it sorted I think @viofo will make sure it gets sorted for you, they are on holidays at the moment so allow a bit extra time, even if they weren't on holidays any kind of freight is really difficult during the Chinese New Year holiday period anyway so it will take a bit longer to get sorted than ideal, I'm sure you will get sorted one way or the other though so nothing to be too worried about

Back