A119 Mini 2 Test & Review PP

You just need a bit of trigonometry, that's all. :smuggrin:

Angle of view (in degrees) = 2 ArcTan( sensor width / (2 X focal length)) * (180/π)

This is the formula that is most commonly cited for angle of view, and it agrees with the way in which lens specifications are presented by major camera manufacturers. (Although not necessarily dash cam manufacturers who tend to often just make stuff up.)

FOV would add a distance compoment:

Field of view = 2 (Tan (Angle of view/2) X Distance to Subject)

I gotta hand to you Mellow, you have mastered the art of overcomplicating things.
You might as well be speaking Pig Latin Hieroglyphics with a Scottish accent.
You’re really making me feel inadequate with your crazy maths.
The real value would be coming up with an explanation that could be understood by the average consumer with a bellow average IQ, (me). lol

I gotta hand to you Mellow, you have mastered the art of overcomplicating things.
You might as well be speaking Pig Latin Hieroglyphics with a Scottish accent.
You’re really making me feel inadequate with your crazy maths.
The real value would be coming up with an explanation that could be understood by the average consumer with a bellow average IQ, (me). lol

Hey man, you asked how to determine the FOV and AOV and that is how it is done if you want to know! :geek: Seriously though, I had no intention that you or I would actually use those equations, hence the :smuggrin: emoji. Just be aware that a 100 foot tape measure isn't gonna' cut it. For me, I've been around lens optics for so long that I can get a decent approximation of a len's AOV just by looking at the image.

Last edited:
I got a few comments on my recent test footage saying my A139 Pro is out of focus. I received my A139 Pro back in November 2022, (6 months ago). I’ve never had a focus issue in that time. Is it possible my A139 Pro has somehow developed an out of focus issue over time?

Before the sun comes up, I thought I would get a jump on things, and and try out the newly released A139 Pro firmware (0605) with a combination indoor focus check & low light test. And also compare it with the A119 Mini 2.

Test Rig .jpg
Test Rig 2 .jpg

Here are the settings for both cameras;
A139 Pro: (3840 x 2160) 30fps Bitrate: Maximum 60Mbps HDR: On CPL Filter: Off
A119 Mini 2: (2560 x 1440) 30fps Bitrate: High 30Mbps HDR: On CPL Filter: Off

Mini 2 Firmware .jpg
A139 Pro Firmware .jpg

Interesting note:
The Mini 2’s variable / dynamic Bitrate was drastically reduced under these low light conditions. In good lighting it generates a 1 minute files size maximum of approximately 230 MB. In these test conditions it was only 160 MB.

File Size .png

Waiting for @viofo to send out a replacement A139 Pro takes 10-15 days for shipping. I wish I knew how to disassemble the camera and re-focus the lens myself. Does anybody have a YouTube video link they can share of the process on an A139?

A119 Mini 2 Bright .png
A139 Pro Bright .png

Check out how much better the Mini 2 does as resolving the image on the lowest brightness setting of my flashlight, (amazing).

A119 Mini 2 Dim .png
A139 Pro Dim .png

Here's the videos of me performing the low light test.

Check out these highway screenshots of this sign.

A late reply.
I have been trying to resolve a vibration in a car and its doing me head in.

If the laser is one that shines a line then it should cast a line on the windscreen when in front of the car pointing at the windscreen. As long as the laser line is level to the car it should help to get an approximate line on the windshield as the beam of light will reflect off objects that are placed in front of it.

Re other suggesting on using Watts its not my business to tell someone what they should do.
You said it in your byline "Do your own research, confirm & verify, use your best judgement, do what’s best for your application."

Cheers.

@viofo just sent a test firmware claiming the Low Audio Volume Level has been fixed.
No change log was included.
Here are audio samples of the “old firmware” (0509).
And the “new” firmware (0605).
As an added bonus I noticed the Mini 2 now has adjustable volume control for the voice notifications “lady in the box”.
Thank you very much for that one guys.
Since the A229 was already on my windshield I included an audio clip as well.
Have a listen, and tell me what you think?
-Chuck

Attachments

• 0609 Firmware .png
    0609 Firmware .png
    167 KB · Views: 6
  • 0509 Firmware .png
    0509 Firmware .png
    166.4 KB · Views: 6
  • A119 Mini 2 beta V0605 .png
    A119 Mini 2 beta V0605 .png
    6.2 KB · Views: 6
I’ve read it might be a good idea to use a “smaller” capacity SD Card for performing firmware updates. Well, I finally got hands on a “larger” 256GB SD Card. Shoutout to Alex for sending that out. Since I’ve got it handy I thought I would try a firmware update with it to see what would happen. Turns out it worked just fine. Here’s the video showing the process in real time updating the Mini 2.

Just for you know about A229, since 1208 FW Viofo decreased record audio quality from 96 Kbit/sec, 32000 Hz for previous firmwares to 64 Kbit/sec, 16000 Hz now.

@viofo just sent a test firmware claiming the Low Audio Volume Level has been fixed.
No change log was included.
Here are audio samples of the “old firmware” (0509).
And the “new” firmware (0605).
As an added bonus I noticed the Mini 2 now has adjustable volume control for the voice notifications “lady in the box”.
Thank you very much for that one guys.
Since the A229 was already on my windshield I included an audio clip as well.
Have a listen, and tell me what you think?
-Chuck

We have heard "recording two channels started" in your second video for A119mini2 with the new firmware. Have you made a mistake in uploading the video?;)

We have heard "recording two channels started
LMAO.
That's so nice of you to notice. lol
The Mini 2 with 0605 firmware, and A229 test videos were filled simultaneously, (at the same time).
Look at the text overlay at the bottom of each video to confirm & verify.
Thank you again for your hard work.
Looking forward to testing the firmware update that will change the variable / dynamic Bitrate to constant / fixed Bitrate.
-Chuck

We have heard "recording two channels started" in your second video for A119mini2 with the new firmware. Have you made a mistake in uploading the video?;)
Sounds like smoother another viofo Camera starting at the same time.

@Panzer Platform. Slow internet update.lol

Last edited:
@Panzer Platform someone keeps commenting on my videos saying the Mini 2 is better than A139 Pro. What is your thoughts? I find it hard to believe a 2K camera will beat a 4K camera

I find it hard to believe a 2K camera will beat a 4K camera
Go back to page 1 of this thread, and look at all of my low light & illuminated sign testing.
The 2K resolution of the Mini 2 appears to have an advantage over the 4K of the A139 Pro AT NIGHT TIME & LOW LIGHT SITUATIONS.
However, during the daytime when there is sufficient lighting conditions the 4K of the A139 is better.
However, the narrower FOV of the Mini 2 makes it easier to read license plates & signs.
All three cameras, (A139 Pro, A119 Mini, A119 Mini 2) have a listed specification of 140° FOV.
However, I show in my Chevron screenshot that is not the case, it's more like;
120° FOV = Mini 1
140° FOV = Mini 2
160° FOV = A139 Pro
-Chuck

Go back to page 1 of this thread, and look at all of my low light & illuminated sign testing.
The 2K resolution of the Mini 2 appears to have an advantage over the 4K of the A139 Pro AT NIGHT TIME & LOW LIGHT SITUATIONS.
However, during the daytime when there is sufficient lighting conditions the 4K of the A139 is better.
However, the narrower FOV of the Mini 2 makes it easier to read license plates & signs.
All three cameras, (A139 Pro, A119 Mini, A119 Mini 2) have a listed specification of 140° FOV.
120° FOV = Mini 1
140° FOV = Mini 2
160° FOV = A139 Pro
-Chuck
And there is Garmin 67w. Almost impossible to read license plate. I think higher fov are required for bigger vehicles (semi?)

120° FOV = Mini 1
140° FOV = Mini 2
160° FOV = A139 Pro
-Chuck
I did a Mini 1 vs Mini 2 video reviewing the video footage. It is a lot wider viewing angle. We need a way to test FOV

We need a way to test FOV
I’ve been researching a reliable, definitive way to measure dash cam FOV so I can confirm & verify manufacturer claims.
Like having a wall chart in my garage.
But the only thing I can find would be to measure it outdoors with a 100 Yard measuring tape at a strip mall parking lot.
And even then it would only be an estimation, and would only be useful in comparing measurements between cameras.

Attachments

• tape .png
    tape .png
    240.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2023-06-07 2.06.54 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-07 2.06.54 AM.png
    332.5 KB · Views: 7
We need a way to test FOV
Here is the easiest way - two columns (two bottles, two boxes, etc.) are described here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...fov-field-of-view-explained.49078/post-595266

There is another way to check this on the table at home, but I did not have time to prepare and arrange it,
I will later post a measuring table for download in that topic and give a measurement scheme.
But you will need a corner cabinet, with a length of each wall of at least 0.5 m
Measurement of the horizontal viewing angle diagram  v1.jpg

This is an example of measuring the Angle Of View using the composite table of the dashcam B1W
Measurement of the horizontal Angle of View - Blueskysea B1W.jpg

Last edited:
Question was your mini you are trying to determine fov a pre-production or production model? Only asking because ive seen pre-production ones with less or more fov vs the actual production ones.

was your mini you are trying to determine fov a pre-production or production model?
Both my Mini 1 & Mini 2 are production models.
That's what I was told, but who knows?

Back