A119 Pre-production beta test, bugs, fixes, FW and suggestions

Agree... There's no reason to turn off loop recording if this device is being used for what it is intended for. If you want to keep files, just remember to switch out the memory card or get a camera for a specific purpose (e.g. Action Camera, recording road trips, etc.)

Maybe it would make more sense to entirely remove the loop interval setting for off as it just seems to cause problems and for most people who want to use this as a dashcam they'd never turn it off anyway (other than by accident?)

exactly why we remove it, loop off makes no sense at all in a dashcam

The best user experience is if Viofo support formatting a fresh 64gb sdxc. Now when a user buy a 64gb sdxc (by the way this is the best option, 25$ for a good one) and he inserts the sd in Viofo, Viofo doesn't recognize (because all 64 gb sdxc are ex-fat formatted by default) BUT doesn't ask for a format and user can't force format using Viofo menu. So user MUST format it in his PC and which is the most used OS in the world? Windows. And windows doesn't support 64gb fat32 formatting (you have to search & download software from the net).

FAT32 has another big problem: doesn't support files bigger than 4 gb. I'm trying to test this case in these days: I'll do a road trip longer then 30 minutes at 1080p@60 (20 Mbps bitrate, that is 0.7 gb for 5 minutes) and I set loop recording off. What should happen is Viofo close the file when it's bigger 4 gb and start a new one.
I just tried this myself. Formatted a 64gb Adata card in my windows 10 pc as exfat. Put it in the a119 with 426 firmware, and it just says please insert tf card. No way to bypass that and format it in the camera. How did you format yours in the camera, @reverend ?

Maybe it would make more sense to entirely remove the loop interval setting for off as it just seems to cause problems and for most people who want to use this as a dashcam they'd never turn it off anyway (other than by accident?)
I am in favor of this even though I think the a119 would make a good road trip camera. Course now I also have a couple action cameras that can work as road trip cameras so I don't need the dashcam to try to do double duty anymore.

I just tried this myself. Formatted a 64gb Adata card in my windows 10 pc as exfat. Put it in the a119 with 426 firmware, and it just says please insert tf card. No way to bypass that and format it in the camera. How did you format yours in the camera, @reverend ?
This is because the current firmware does not support exFAT. You have to format your 64gb card into FAT32 in your PC using a third party utility like http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

I suggest that Viofo update the firmware to support exFAT if possible.

I suggest that Viofo update the firmware to support exFAT if possible.

not quite that simple unfortunately, it is still a reasonably new chipset and it will take some time for the extra functionality to happen, I'm sure it will though

I'll double check the card to see what format it's in - to be honest I didn't realise I was doing anything special but could be it was formatted to fat32 in the past so the camera just keeps formatting it that way and retains the modified cluster size

I've always formatted in cam when it pops up the reminder message

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This also happens to my A119 Beta unit with the April 26 FW. The prior formatted on PC exFAT card is not recognized by the cam: please insert card message appears. For me, the FAT32 format is enough cause I use only 2 or 3 minutes clips. It is easier to trace a recorded event and less problems if sudden lost of power occurs.

i don't have any issue with fat32 either, especially in a looping system like a dashcam. and we don't need to worry about fragmentation since it's only touching one file at a time.

i just wish the camera would recognize that there IS in fact a card in there, and let me format it. some of my other cameras work fine that way - blacksys cf-100, GitUp Git1 and even a cheesy Discovery action cam were all able to take a 64gb card formatted in exfat, format it in the camera without any trouble, and afterwards the card was fat32.

you don't need to add file system support for exfat to be able to format the card as something else. it's already partitioned, so you just need to format it.

i don't have any issue with fat32 either, especially in a looping system like a dashcam. and we don't need to worry about fragmentation since it's only touching one file at a time.

i just wish the camera would recognize that there IS in fact a card in there, and let me format it. some of my other cameras work fine that way - blacksys cf-100, GitUp Git1 and even a cheesy Discovery action cam were all able to take a 64gb card formatted in exfat, format it in the camera without any trouble, and afterwards the card was fat32.

you don't need to add file system support for exfat to be able to format the card as something else. it's already partitioned, so you just need to format it.

it will come once the SDK gets updated to allow it, we never had it in the 96655 chipset for quite a long time either but we do now, took a while for Novatek to get it sorted

Too quiet here. Everyone is waiting news about the A119 final product release?

Last edited:
Too quiet here. Everyone is waiting news about the A119 final product release?
i'm waiting to see if there will be another firmware update for some of the recently discussed issues, such as problems when you turn off loop recording (consensus seems to be that they should just take away that option and force it to be loop only, but the user can still choose how long the loop should be).

I'm just waiting to see the final version or possible firmware updates. Seems like most of us are done with testing with the previous firmwares and waiting to see when will the A119 actually come out, etc.

I'm waiting also, though checking in on feedback here. I'd really like to know about the A119S version mentioned that may have a sony sensor, and perhaps not quite as wide of a field of view.
Edit: Maybe don't need the sony sensor as it looks like the A119 is already much improved for night mode, but would be interested in seeing what all the options are.

Last edited:
The first small testing batch is completed, take much time to get the GPS working fine.
The first mass production is arranged.

Currently there is a new firmware still in testing:
1. Improved the LCD brightness
2. Show GPS speed on video
3. Beep sound while prompt card format warning

Thank you @viofo to keep us informed! We were all anxious to here the latest news.

The first small testing batch is completed, take much time to get the GPS working fine.
The first mass production is arranged.

Currently there is a new firmware still in testing:
1. Improved the LCD brightness
2. Show GPS speed on video
3. Beep sound while prompt card format warning

Any idea of pricing?

Found a bug...

Last night I took my 64gb card out (after turning off the ignition and waiting for the red REC light to turn off) and copied some videos in my pc. The next morning I started the truck and then tried to insert the sd card. As it happens, it card went in about one second after the camera finished booting. Then the camera turned off. Pressed power, and it just started recording normally.

It should have asked me to format the card but it didn't. I also think that rather than turning off when a card is inserted, it should reboot, so that it begins recording or asks the user to format the card.

Back