A119 Pre-production beta test, bugs, fixes, FW and suggestions

Currently there is a new firmware still in testing:
1. Improved the LCD brightness
2. Show GPS speed on video
3. Beep sound while prompt card format warning

Hi @viofo : any update on this new FW? Looking forward to test it on A119 pre-production unit.

Just had a look at some Youtube video clips and they all way to blueish is there any settings to correct this.

Most of the blue has been tweaked out. Any video you see online is from a pre-production A119. I don't think any production A119's have been released, yet.

which firmware version were they, it was a lot more blue in earlier versions

I don't what version, it was put on Youtube 2 months ago, so I'd say it's been fixed great

I notice that this dashcam has forward collision warning system (FCWS) would anyone use this I think it would drive you crazy

I notice that this dashcam has forward collision warning system (FCWS) would anyone use this I think it would drive you crazy

I think I've seen one or two people in the past year that have mentioned liking these functions, this stuff is available in our SDK's but we don't enable it as I don't see the value in it, if you want this function to work correctly it needs to be integrated into the vehicles electronics

Every so often in the A118C devices I have, in two different vehicles, they don't boot up. I'm pretty sure they are starting to boot with the key turning to accessories but then they stop booting as the car cranks the ignition - perhaps there being a slight pause before we start the cars - they start booting, lose power before finishing and then don't try booting again. I'm not articulating this well, but it has happened and then I need to start the camera manually, if I happen to notice that this has happened. Anyone noticed if this has happened on the A119? I'd love to not have this issue.

i've never had that issue w/ my a119, but also never had it with my a118 or a118c either. always boots up just fine as long as i'm not fiddling with the power cord or memory card immediately after turning the key.

What's the expected average life span on a dashcam?

So far the only one I've had die was my own fault. I tried to modify it and ended up making it overheat (obviously not on purpose) so it died a slow death. Eventually it would only record static on the audio track, and sometimes wouldn't turn on when starting the car... i could live without audio but then some videos started getting corrupted too.

Hi guys, hi @viofo , new bug here. As you know, I'm still using no loop time recording (that is 25:00 at 1080p@60 fps) ONLY FOR TEST PURPOSES (as most of you, I hate this mode). Sometimes A119 creates corrupted files. This happens in both cases after 20:00. I've updated a corrupted one (raw file, pm me for decrypt key, I don't like share video of my home) so you can double check what's the problem. When I open the file in the media player, it shows movie is 25:00 time lenght. But when the video is after 20:00 the video player stops playing. I tried MPC-HC and Windows media player.
In the uploaded one, the problem is at 20:13. In the other one at 20:47. Different days. Error doesn't happen in all recordings.

UPDATE: in both corrupted files the problem is in the audio, not in video. Audio is corrupted. If I extract both audio and video tracks, video track is fine/perfect, audio track is corrupted. Viofo should understand why this problem on the audio track and IF this problem could affect also shorter video file

Last edited:
I've found another bug. After a format (using A119 format option), A119 doesn't record anymore. These are my steps: 1) format sd card, 2) set time interval record to 10 min, 3) closed menu. REC button light is on but it's not recording. If I press the REC button (usually this is used to stop recording), A119 start beeping and nothing can be done to stop it (I press every button). I can only repower (and then restart) the unit. If I open the sd card with my pc I can only see System Volume Information directory. DCIM and its subfolder Movies are both missing.
I'll try reformatting sd card to solve the problem.

I've always used this sd along all my tests. This is not my first format. I do not own a 32gb card.

I did new tests. I inserted again the sd card in the unit. A119 asked me to format the sd card. Format done but always the same behaviour. REC light on, nothing recording and if I press the rec button it starts beeping and I can't stop. The only way to access menu is during the boot, in the first seconds.

I tested more and more times, my A119 was "soft-locked". I could try reformatting the sdcard with my pc or try a new sd card. I did another test: I accessed the menu at boot time and navigate all options. I modify image picture at 2k@30 fps (previously it was 1920x1080@60 fps). When exiting from menu, Viofo finally start recording again.

There are a long list of features I think Viofo should double check:
- the blinking rec red circle icon looks the only icon trustable. The red rec button light should always be in sync with this one because users are not geek and they don't double check the rec icon, they trust in rec button. And rec button light is visible during day, rec icon no, display is not so bright
- all the process schould be error free. If Viofo is not recording (that is if Viofo red icon is not showed) and user is not using the menu then Viofo should beep. If something is not working, I need to know. But Viofo will not alert me
- there is a firmware problem here. Why Viofo doesn't record and after I change image resolution it start recording? This is not a hardware problem, it's a software problem

And please consider also my previous bug: audio recording stop working and mp4 files are corrupted.

I hope a new version will be available asap with these bugs fixed. I hope Viofo will enable a debug log file for beta tester, so when we have an error we can see the status. A good idea is also generate an "image" with all data

I've uploaded the raw file with the bug, pm me for the key ...

Last edited:
Another bug here. I set resolution to 2304x1296, have a look what happens in first seconds (raw file link in the description). All the next videos are ok, without this problem. Maybe a power problem, engine was off ...

Back