A119 PRO?!?

Even mentioning you have an A119PRO and listing it under your user name is advertising the Brand/model. Every mention that you own one, as well as making any positive comments about is promoting the new model to other forum members and visitors around the world reading up on Dash Cams to decide which one they should buy.

Getting some samples into this forum is excellent advertising - as it gets people talking about it ... and it comes cheap as chips to a manufacturer.
At let's say, AU$30 cost each (if that?} ... and you give away 5 units ... there's 5 people raving about your new model Dash Cam to the World for AU$150 bucks.

Excellent strategy, imho. I guess that is why VIOFO has chosen to do it. :D

Looking at Mtz video comparison - the PRO is significantly better at reading number plates - Picture clarity is way better.
Based on that - huge thumbs up there ... err, ... hang on ... (y)

Last edited:
^ I have no idea ... feel free to set the record straight.

I just have the idea in my head that a small tin of parts made in China wouldn't cost more than 10 bucks to buy/get made - total
$30 bucks was being generous - only cause I knew you were around :eek: ... and VIOFO

Having said that - I'm here to be outrageous educated o_O

Last edited:
colours look nicer on the Pro, looks like the lens is better also
I think you like more the Pro colors because are more closer to Street Guardian color tones. ;) A little blue color tone is making the white to look better, but too much blue will be not liked to some people. Also I like a nice white more blue than orange or yellow tone white color.
For sure the A119 Pro lens is expensive compared to A119 but the lens angle is smaller for Pro. A119 have a great lens even it is already 2 years old. The A119S tested more lens than A119 and all the tested lens of A119S are more expensive than A119. I don't know if people will observe the difference between the quality of lens because until that comparison the firmware needs adjustments, now it is beta version. Right now, if I was Viofo I would use the A119 lens because is not bad and too many people are looking for wide lens over 150 degrees. Even I prefer 120-130 degrees lens.

enjoy,
Mtz

I really like the FOV on the Pro not only for the narrower, more natural perspective but also for the improved barrel distortion. The lens seems very well corrected overall, at least as far as anyone can tell from a YouTube video.

Yes, you are right but too many people are still looking more for a wide angle even the image is distorted. They don't care for a correct image they want to see as much is possible on the sides. I was never looking for 180 degrees dashcams, when I see 180 I quit and look for next.

enjoy,
Mtz

I prefer a narrower FOV too. I can get by either way but for me, narrower seems more natural.

Last edited:
Thanks Mtz for the vid. Couldn't play it in this forum page but ok on youtube...no idea why. Downloading it from YT to have a good gander!

I am waiting for wifi version but am really tempted to get this plain pro version.

Thanks

Brendan

I downloaded the sensors data sheets. Mfgrs look to only give product brief datasheets not full ones. Especially Sony. Seen that before. I helped design and build (a consortium group of us with varying tech abilities) a 6.3Mp Astronomy camera using Sony sensors. It was almost impossible to get a full data sheet but we extrapolated from a datasheet of very similar sensor they did release.

The Pro dynamic range looks better and resolution. It's (as they all are) suffering from limited dynamic range because of being 10bit ADC image. But this is tied to data bit rate transfers so not so easy to increase this without major engineering.

I did see the AR0521 ONSemi sensor has a "mono" version. Which if integrated and readout hacked for mono would give much better image resolution and dynamic range...by around 3 times better. We did this with colour sensors removing bayer matrix,...a hell task! I've also done it with a Philips webcam by replacing the colour with mono sensor...for planetry imaging. Still using it, works very well even years later and compared to newer cameras.

Anyway all this is a little OT.....yeah I know wifi is only useful in setup but I love to fiddle....Mite grab one of the non wifi ver's just to see play.

As for the A119 product...not bad at all, very imppresed and more so with the Mfgrs support!(y)
Brendan

The A119 Pro lens cost is higher, have less distortion.
We try to offer better 1440P video quality, but even for Sony, there is no good 2K sensor from them, so that's why we use Aptina sensor, it is well know in security camera industry.
Like Sony sensor, most of higher cost sensor mainly used for security camera, not for dash cameras.

It seems many users have high expectation for this, we are trying our best to tune IQ.

It seems many users have high expectation for this, we are trying our best to tune IQ.

Yes ... if you are going to call a new model 'PRO' then we I would expect it to be higher standard like a Professional = better quality than average

Last edited:
Viofo already have better than average, it will be very hard to meet some people expectations about a Pro thing if they already have the A119 or A119S.
In my country I found used the word "Professional" on too many products even I know they are not for professional use but for anybody. Today the Professional word is not so powerful like 20 years ago.

I am waiting for wifi version but am really tempted to get this plain pro version
A Wi-Fi version should be not far away but for sure will be not from A119 series because it is not on the Pro version and I see no reason from now to modify the PCB and use the same chipset just to add the Wi-Fi.
I always was a Wi-Fi fan, I think I had one of the first Wi-Fi dashcams in the world from Korean Itronics which is still working great after almost 6 years!

enjoy,
Mtz

Viofo already have better than average, it will be very hard to meet some people expectations about a Pro thing if they already have the A119 or A119S.
In my country I found used the word "Professional" on too many products even I know they are not for professional use but for anybody. Today the Professional word is not so powerful like 20 years ago.
Maybe in this case, "Pro" is short for "providence" instead of "professional"?

I prefer a narrower FOV too. I can get by either way but for me, narrower seems more natural.

It is more natural. In photography they usually equate the eye to a 50mm lens equivalent from memory.

You also have a better chance of detail retrieval when zooming in on a picture in post editing if it's shot on a wider lens as the pixel density is higher.

35mm lenses on my Canon 70d have a 50mm equivalent. Not that i have a 35 but I have the nifty fifty of course.

Last edited:
Depends on the sensor's size. 50mm is on a full frame sensor, 28mm on APS-C and so forth.
The human eye has a FOV of about 55 degrees: The Camera Versus the Human Eye
That equates to about 6mm on a 1/3" typical dashcam sensor (not the larger 1/2.5" in the Pro): Depth of Field (DoF), Angle of View, and Equivalent Lens Calculator

For an indication of what that looks like in dashcam terms, here's the same view from my A119 and with a 6mm lens on a Mobius 1 (1/3" CCD)
czBXD1il.jpg

OOZeJSBl.jpg

You are right. Testing a camera is consuming much time but also is important to create correct videos, to know how to not destroy the original video quality, to be careful at camera position when doing comparisons because if one camera is pointed too much to the sky the result will be not fair when comparing to a camera which is pointed to the ground. Even 5 degrees can affect a correct comparison. Because of these small things more comparisons should be watched, not from only one source.

Here is a comparison between Viofo A119 Pro factory sample and Viofo A119:
More details in video description.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi Mtz, I really liked your comparison between the A119/A119 Pro. I studied them at length for some time and can honestly say there is so little difference that they are almost like twins, the A119 Pro has a little more magnification (very slight) and in catching the license plate slightly better also, but the differences are so small that they could just be manufacturing differences in the cameras.
If one took another two cameras and run the same tests you could very well (or not ) see the same slight differences switch/or not. You seem to have them aligned as close to each other as well as one could get, so that is not part of the equation.
The fact that the A119 Pro was very slightly better in the comparison could easily be the slight difference in magnification, being higher on the Pro. Either camera is able to achieve as good or better resolving power then anything one could get for the intended purpose at this time that I have evaluated . You really did a nice job setting up this evaluation, thank you.

Reactions: Mtz
Back