A119 PRO?!?

Or even 4x if you don't filter out the IR light.

Mono also doesn't have issues with false colours on fine detail, better for reading plates as well as for obstacle avoidance in drones. I'm sure everyone wants a colour front camera but small mono slave cameras to cover 360 degrees would do a good job.

Makes me wonder what market there would be for a mono camera with the ability to capture more useful images - the vast majority of users will see "better" as being brighter, more balanced colours - if they were offered a mono camera which made reading plates much easier and still showed the useful details of an incident I think I for one would go for it - at the end of the day, I'm not making a movie but want a camera to be as good as it can be for showing details of any incidents, mono might be the best way to go to meet that aim.

Unfortunately people will not buy dashcams which are not recording videos to look as movies. Seems that they are not so interested about details, they like more a nice image.
The only chance they to accept details is when cameras will have two CMOS, one for the ”movies” and one, black and white, for the details.

The many cameras from drones except the main one are just for obstacles avoidance, they are not recording so is not useful to discuss about them here.

enjoy,
Mtz

I have said long ago, that if it was a major improvement, then i would not mind a dashcam that was B&W at night.
I wouldn't even mind if i had to install IR emitters on my car to get the upper hand with a camera system, but i am pretty sure i am alone with that one.

I have said long ago, that if it was a major improvement, then i would not mind a dashcam that was B&W at night.
I wouldn't even mind if i had to install IR emitters on my car to get the upper hand with a camera system, but i am pretty sure i am alone with that one.

I agree with you. I would go for a b&w with high quality. Because that is the reason why i purchased a dashcam. Not for any other purpose like videography etc.

I had a security camera system many years ago which switched to B&W at night for better image quality - I wonder how much work it would be to add this as an option in the firmware so it switches modes? I'm assuming this wouldn't be as effective as a hardware based B&W system but would it give some of the benefits?

I had a security camera system many years ago which switched to B&W at night for better image quality - I wonder how much work it would be to add this as an option in the firmware so it switches modes? I'm assuming this wouldn't be as effective as a hardware based B&W system but would it give some of the benefits?
You need a monochrome sensor with no colour filters in the way to get the advantages of monochrome. A colour camera that turns to b&w at night is either just hiding its problems or using IR and doesn't want the colours to look wrong.

You need a monochrome sensor with no colour filters in the way to get the advantages of monochrome. A colour camera that turns to b&w at night is either just hiding its problems or using IR and doesn't want the colours to look wrong.
Thanks Nigel, thought that might be the case but don't know enough about hardware side of cameras to be sure :)

Or even 4x if you don't filter out the IR light.

Mono also doesn't have issues with false colours on fine detail, better for reading plates as well as for obstacle avoidance in drones. I'm sure everyone wants a colour front camera but small mono slave cameras to cover 360 degrees would do a good job.

Ahhh I forgot...IR bloom. Yeah it'll have quite a noticeable focus shift compared to visible light and the critical focus zone for visiable in a short F1.8 system would be a few micron at best possibly less.

Ahhh I forgot...IR bloom. Yeah it'll have quite a noticeable focus shift compared to visible light and the critical focus zone for visiable in a short F1.8 system would be a few micron at best possibly less.
Depends if the lens has IR correction or not, with a lot of lenses having aspheric elements these days it is probably a lot easier to make an IR corrected lens.

Not sure how useful IR is in a dashcam external view though, I don't think cars reflect much IR, it only helps to see the vegetation.

If you see that much difference in the sensitivity then it is almost certainly measured in a different way, probably deliberately incompatible with the other specs, or there is some reason that you wouldn't use it at the same ISO.

I think you really need to look at the specs Nigel. Sensitivity isn't just down to size but makeup and whether or not groups of pixels are used to collect light eg. many of the better sensors are actually around 9m but only using 4mp for the image which suggests there's a lot of other pixels in there - grouping maybe? I wouldn't know. I believe the 334 is quite large anyway isn't it? - 1/1.8.

One of the reasons: The high resolution DSLR sensors are often fitted with strong anti-aliasing filters to avoid moiré and false colours. At pixel level they are often very blurry compared to an IMX 323, but it doesn't matter because they are mainly used for photos in good lighting and have more than enough resolution. They also have to work well with long exposures, maybe 1 hour, and still produce accurate colours and low noise, surveillance sensors only need to work down to 1/30th second for 30fps, they are never used for photos! There are probably quite a few design differences, a surveillance camera doesn't need accurate colours or shading or particularly low noise, it just needs to capture detail.

Not saying that doesn't hold true fro most cameras, but have you seen cameras such as the GX4 / 5 and Sony's A7iiS (although I believe the sensor maybe in house for that one?)

Deliberately chose this vid as it features driving - some of the scene setting clips / internal car clips aren't sharp - some deliberately blurred and others where the autofocus and the Sigma lens maybe aren't working as well together as they should. However, some of the out of the screen clips are excellent:

I suggest looking at 18 secs, 45 secs, 58 secs, 1 min 40 secs for unlit rear view (poorer quality):

First time I've ever been able to retreive a plate from a night time video where vehicles are moving and it's on Youtube at 1080P:

Would heat be a factor?

Possibly although maybe it could be designed out with a heatsink such as what Mobius did with the M1.

As for some other comments above - didn't want to turn this into a huge post of quotes, personally, I wouldn't want a B&W image at night and with regards to cost, for sure what we're talking about here is not going to be a camera such as the Wr1 or A119Pro in price, at least if we're talking potential DSLR sensors. A 334 sensor *might* be more obtainable, although even then, I doubt it would be cheap enough for a sub $100 cam . Any camera using such high end processors is probably going to need to be in the $200-300 range to be viable, and that's assuming even if that's possible, or in other words, what we're talking about is something that could probably only ever be high end enthusiast, at least in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
OK. Got an A119 Pro in my possession. Reviews to come soon.

1st impressions from the video I've shot and some taster shots:

Daytime pretty good, little bit of aretfacing noise in the road surface suggesting bit rate could be a little higher. However, video looks good overall and daytime stills in hazy sun are sharp. The stills are so good they look better than the video they're captured from! :)

Night time quite poor - currently much worse than the WR1 - very noisy, soft and sparkly. Blurry to the point of a vehicle in front and signs being unrecognisable on unlit road. I get the impression that maybe a firmware update might be needed for the night view as I'm sure this is a firmware rather than an overall issue.

Night_Time_Lit.jpg

Last edited:
Similar here but there is a firmware update due which should sort the night time quality

Similar here but there is a firmware update due which should sort the night time quality

Yeah I suspect it's a firmware issue as there's a lot of sparkle as well suggesting that maybe the picture hasn't been as tuned as could be. I'm sure they'll get it sorted. I'll perhaps hold off posting the review until they've had a chance to look at this.

Last edited:
I saw the sparkle. Looked like the milky way had gone crazy, lol..

During night, under street lights the image is much better and the halo around the lights is disappearing. Also the firmware needs updated with latest test version.
Here is a test with firmware test T06 from 21.03.2018.

The clear advantage of the Pro version is the image on the sides because of better lens used. On the sides there are more chances to obtain a clear number with the Pro.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Where did you get the Pro firmware from as I can't see it listed on their website?

It is normal a beta firmware for test to not be listed on an official site. :geek:
Maybe tomorrow will be released a new test firmware so is better to wait until tomorrow.

enjoy,
Mtz

I get the feeling I might not know where the beta stuff / forum is. Can you PM me the details?

I don't have that either. I am waiting for Viofo to send me the update.

Back