A119 PRO?!?

Hi Mtz, OK. Seems plausible!

I am however very interested in a firmware (version) that was mentioned in a video here on the forum, that has 60fps for the 2560x1440p resolution.

My Yi Ultra Dashcam also has 1440p/30fps, but as I reviewed footage of an incident last week, I could not clearly see the license plate of the other car involved.

Luckily I had the A119S running on the rear windshield and with it's 60fps capability, the license plate was clearly visible.

Thanks for your efforts and cheers!
Recording at 60fps does not always give you a sharper video frame than recording at 30fps. As an example, your Yi Ultra might have used an exposure duration of perhaps 1/60s, whereas the A119S might have used something like 1/100s. Other factors such as the different field of view of each camera's lens, or the difference in lighting between the front & back viewpoints, can affect whether or not you get a sharp plate capture.

Your experience does illustrate the potential benefit of using more than one camera, whether or not they are both pointing in the same direction,

I do not believe anyone has confirmed that the A119 Pro is capable of 1440p60. I think the AR0521 can output 5MP at 60fps, but I'm not sure if the NT96660 can handle it.

Last edited:
Hi Mtz, OK. Seems plausible!

I am however very interested in a firmware (version) that was mentioned in a video here on the forum, that has 60fps for the 2560x1440p resolution.

My Yi Ultra Dashcam also has 1440p/30fps, but as I reviewed footage of an incident last week, I could not clearly see the license plate of the other car involved.

Luckily I had the A119S running on the rear windshield and with it's 60fps capability, the license plate was clearly visible.

Thanks for your efforts and cheers!
The A119S is normally better, not because it can do 60fps, but because the sensor is a lot more sensitive which allows it to use a faster shutter speed which reduces the motion blur. The A119 Pro is in the middle, more sensitive than your Yi and higher resolution than the A119S, a good compromise if you drive day and night. 60fps can actually reduce clarity since if you use extra bitrate for the extra frames then you can't use it for storing detail!

Hello Sir (TonyM),

Yes, you are correct! There are many factors to consider and all have an effect on picture quality and clarity.
Not at all will it be a dealbreaker for me if there will be no 1440/60fps firmware for the A119 PRO, as I was fully aware of it's specs at the time of buying.

I have been testing a bunch of dashcams the last 4-5 months. Some (expensive) cams had very disappointing picture quality. After doing my research I ended up with the Yi Ultra (bargain on eBay) and my A119S on the rear windshield, mainly because of redundancy.

Thanks and Cheers!

I do not believe anyone has confirmed that the A119 Pro is capable of 1440p60. I think the AR0521 can output 5MP at 60fps, but I'm not sure if the NT96660 can handle it.

Yeah it's early days and mine will arrive next week so l look forward to experimenting and viewing footage on my computer.

There is no doubt this is another seriously good dash camera from VIOFO and the fact they do listen to us and modify firmware on the fly is paramount to success.

My A119 Pro arrived in the post today. I’ll install it over the weekend and try it out.

The Viofo A119 Pro is now in stock and shipping from our Capture Your Action website, Amazon and eBay listings. Our Amazon FBA listing is en route.

My a119 pro speaker sound so loud. Louder than my a119 and a119s.

My A119 Pro arrived in the post today. I’ll install it over the weekend and try it out.

Dd you order from Viofo? How long did yours take to arrive?

Mine was shipped a few days ago, but I am unable to track it yet.

I ordered last week from AliExpress (VIOFO Official Store) and it only took 5 days to arrive. This camera has a lot of potential!
Have been testing for an hour or so, but the stock firmware does need some tweaking and fine-tuning.

During dusk last night the exposure (WDR ON) was 'hunting' and stepping up or down noticably. Sky was partially overexposed too.

Good luck and cheers!

The tracking site link Viofo sent me still shows not found, but I just found out that the number works with Royal Mail's tracking. The package is showing at Gatwick, so hopefully I will have it in a day or two.

someone mentioned that, I don't know that it was correct though

That was my mistake. At full resolution it's 30fps. It's only 60fps @ a max of 1080P.

Recording at 60fps does not always give you a sharper video frame than recording at 30fps. As an example, your Yi Ultra might have used an exposure duration of perhaps 1/60s, whereas the A119S might have used something like 1/100s. Other factors such as the different field of view of each camera's lens, or the difference in lighting between the front & back viewpoints, can affect whether or not you get a sharp plate capture.

+1.

In my view, 60fps will only give better results in bright light and at acute angles because it forces the camera to use a faster shutter speed which can reduce motion blur where there's lateral movement during the duration of the frames exposure - shorter exposure time = less movement during exposure = less blur. Straight on, there's only a marginal advantage and at night, the shorter shutter speed will cause darker images and potentially more noise unless cameras are made using sensors that are considerably more sensitive than they are currently, as at night, a shorter exposure time seriously reduces the amount of available light for exposure so electronic gain (amplification) has to increase to compensate and this causes noise. So it's swings and roundabouts.

The holy grail is a more DSLR type solution where the camera can adjust itself to suit the available light. However, this isn't available to my knowledge or on the cards plus some would then complain if it eg set a 1/1,000th of a second on a bright sunny day giving razor sharp stills but video motion was jerky - another reason for higher frame rates, although the quality advantage disappears when you process them for viewing as then you discard (puts you back at 30fps), or blend (causes blur in the stills as the images are composites!) the images down to 30fps once more for viewing. You'd really need to use a player you could play back on at 60fps and capture stills from to see the advantage in the stills as you need the raw output.

There was some talk of a 120fps and even a 180 or 240, standard for 4K when 4K tv's were 1st proposed but I don't think it ever happened. High frame rates solve the fast shutter issue with video, but require far more processing and storage, plus a player that can play back at that rate.

Even then, that type of DSLR style camera wouldn't give sharp stills at night unless it had a sensor such as that found in the Gh4/5 or A7s/ii that allowed it to set fast shutters in low light due to it's exceptional light gathering abilities.

Just my opinion.

Mine was shipped a few days ago, but I am unable to track it yet.
Hi Pointy. Only just seen your post. Yes, I ordered direct from Viofo. Like yours my tracking number didn’t work so I was very surprised when the camera arrived just a few days after dispatch notification. I live just a few miles from East Midlands Airport where there is a huge freight depot, maybe that’s why it got to me a little sooner than yours...

Do you have any information why A119Pro is blurred at night ?
According to this review
But it has excellent quality in the day.
Could this be firmware problem ?

Hi Pointy. Only just seen your post. Yes, I ordered direct from Viofo. Like yours my tracking number didn’t work so I was very surprised when the camera arrived just a few days after dispatch notification. I live just a few miles from East Midlands Airport where there is a huge freight depot, maybe that’s why it got to me a little sooner than yours...

Thanks for the reply.

Mine is showing out for delivery today. :) If anyone else orders from the UK and the tracking link doesn't work, it's worth trying the tracking number with the Royal Mail's Track and Trace..

Judging from numerous examples, it appears the original A119 may have better sharpness and quality over the the PRO with 1.0 firmware. Given my main purpose is for video evidence in the case of a hit and run (happens often in NYC) would it be better served getting an A119 (or S) over the PRO currently?

(I ordered a PRO, but may return it to Amazon if its unsatisfactory).

Back