A119 PRO?!?

Judging from numerous examples, it appears the original A119 may have better sharpness and quality over the the PRO with 1.0 firmware. Given my main purpose is for video evidence in the case of a hit and run (happens often in NYC) would it be better served getting an A119 (or S) over the PRO currently?
See post #338 above by Harsh. Certainly enhancements will come via new firmware on the Pro over time thus improving quality as it did for the A119 and A119s.

I'd say if you have to have a camera now and cannot wait, you may want to consider the A119 v2 or AS119s. (A119s if night video is more important to you than daytime video) If you can wait while improvements are made or if you can live with the existing firmware in the PRO and know it'll improve it over time, go with the Pro.

As viofo decided not to update firmware for the G1W-S I want very good initial quality for any cam from them.
They may choose not to update the 119 pro firmware.

Judging from numerous examples, it appears the original A119 may have better sharpness and quality over the the PRO with 1.0 firmware. Given my main purpose is for video evidence in the case of a hit and run (happens often in NYC) would it be better served getting an A119 (or S) over the PRO currently?

(I ordered a PRO, but may return it to Amazon if its unsatisfactory).
The A119 has a 4MP sensor. The A119 Pro has a 5MP sensor. They both use the same processor. They both offer 1440p at 30fps.

You should not expect to see a big difference between them. The A119 Pro has a better quality lens and does seem to resolve more detail. It also has a more pleasing white balance for some users. Fine tuning the sharpness, contrast and other image adjustment parameters will come with time.

The A119 has a 4MP sensor. The A119 Pro has a 5MP sensor. They both use the same processor. They both offer 1440p at 30fps.

You should not expect to see a big difference between them. The A119 Pro has a better quality lens and does seem to resolve more detail. It also has a more pleasing white balance for some users. Fine tuning the sharpness, contrast and other image adjustment parameters will come with time.

I'm ok with waiting for firmware updates, and backreading a few pages, it appears they're already aware of the night quality issues as it seems beta software has improved the night quality. I'm coming from a Blackvue DR500GW which was an absolute junk unit.

As viofo decided not to update firmware for the G1W-S I want very good initial quality for any cam from them.
They may choose not to update the 119 pro firmware.
Still tuning the night video IQ.
Also normally we keep updating the SDK if Novatek released something new.

Mine arrived yesterday and it only took a few minutes to install it. I was surprised how easy it was to tuck the wire away from sight in my CRV. I suppose it's not the ideal weather to test it, but a typical damp day in Sussex. Even though I have the CPL fitted I have some reflections, not helped by the light coloured A pillars I guess. Daytime footage looked okay but night time was very noisy. (I am not sure if I should orient the lens one more click upwards)

test.jpg

Is there any way of getting the latest BETA/Test firmware to try?

For a moment I thought you had found a VIOFO number plate :)

What resolution / fps was that video frame?

The original frame was 2560x1440.

I am not sure if the CPL filter is oriented correctly and also noticed it has a nasty fingerprint on in. :oops: (Could have sworn I cleaned it before refitting)

The original frame was 2560x1440.

I am not sure if the CPL filter is oriented correctly and also noticed it has a nasty fingerprint on in. :oops: (Could have sworn I cleaned it before refitting)
AFAIK upside down makes no difference to the CPL performance.
It is easy to accidentally touch the lens or CPL when fitting any camera.

I received mine yesterday as well. One issue I ran into is I did not remove the CPL before installing and found that there are some protective plastic covers under the CPL so my initial video was very blurry. haha Much better after removing those. I would agree with Pointy though and say that day time is pretty good, but not perfect yet. Seems a little too bright to read license plates. I'll have to test night time again after removing those plastic covers. I also ran into an issue where the video would stop recording after maybe 2 or 3 minutes. Seems to be resolved after formatting the SD card again.

I received mine yesterday as well. One issue I ran into is I did not remove the CPL before installing and found that there are some protective plastic covers under the CPL so my initial video was very blurry. haha Much better after removing those. I would agree with Pointy though and say that day time is pretty good, but not perfect yet. Seems a little too bright to read license plates. I'll have to test night time again after removing those plastic covers. I also ran into an issue where the video would stop recording after maybe 2 or 3 minutes. Seems to be resolved after formatting the SD card again.

Is the CPL filter glass or plastic, just wondering.

One issue I ran into is I did not remove the CPL before installing and found that there are some protective plastic covers under the CPL so my initial video was very blurry.
@viofo Do you ship the A119 Pro with the CPL attached? It might be a good idea to put a label on the camera telling the customer to remove the protective cover on the lens.

OCDtronic should put a piece of paper between CPL and camera lens like a bookmark and then attach the CPL. Client will want to remove that paper and then will see the films over lens and CPL. More than that, he can print a message for removing the films.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes, same GPS mount.

Is a A119 V2 compatible with the early gps mount, the one with the pins before they switched over to those bent back pressure type connectors? I'm still new to much of this and am not sure. It may affect if an A119 Pro can work with an early version of the GPS mount so genuinely curious.

Back