A119 PRO?!?

exciting times indeed to see what sensor they put in this new one. dual channel is handy on the same SD card for convenience, but not the biggest deal to me as i have Chupad D501 in the back and Viofo A119 up front. wish it was better at night though, the Sony IMX322.

Having been using multiple single cameras for a long time i cant tell how much i look forward to get a dual channel camera, and since its too early for the next big thing, then a dual channel camera with IMX 291 both ends must be the pinnacle of things.

If i could get 1440p or maybe a little more, then i might take it though the increase in resolution over 1080p are not really jaw-dropping in my book, daytime / prime time footage can still be improved i think.
4K would off course be what most will then say and i cant disagree, but then you will just have to remember that the night time footage while not useless will set you back a year or two compared to the evolution of 1080p sensors.

Needless to say even with a dual channel camera in my car, then you will probably still find a lot of single cameras in it too, but i think the dual channel will fast become my go to camera for F & R footage
Testing on the 0906 it fast ended up being the goto camera, not just cuz i was testing it and often had to look at the footage, but just the shear convenience of getting 2 cameras on 1 memory card.

hopefully they don't screw up the IMX291 cos i've seen brands comparison videos on youtube where one Starvis sensor is done well and the other is done horrendously worse than others such as imx323 etc. i've only had one experience with Shadows 2S (think it was) with dual - but that was a very poor 720p rear so not representative of experience. of course 1080p front and back, OV4689 / IMX 323 / IMX 291 will seal the deal for me.

as you say, 4K is very nice in daytime but falls apart rather quickly at night compared to the current crop of 1080p sensors. will be interesting to see where the market heads though in the next year or so - as progress on these sensors is quite slow compared to mobile phone / action camera sensors.

i didn't say the Pro had a 4K sensor, i was talking about Sony announcing a 4K sensor

Never said you did, just added that the 5MP from Aptina is not 4K.

Sony have a few 4k sensors, they're not really new
Surveillance sensor on that page I meant. Not others in the range for phones / action cam etc

Does anyone have any clues as to the ETA for the A119Pro? I'm in the martket for a new cam and wondering if this is likely to be Q1 or if it's not near production yet (i.e. is it worth hanging on!) Other than that I suspect I would be looking at the A119S as I favor low light performance over daytime.

Does anyone have any clues as to the ETA for the A119Pro? I'm in the martket for a new cam and wondering if this is likely to be Q1 or if it's not near production yet (i.e. is it worth hanging on!) Other than that I suspect I would be looking at the A119S as I favor low light performance over daytime.
I believe the ETA is around the end of March.

At night more prone to accident case and vandalism , is very important to have dashcam clear sight video on the plate number.

If not wrong PRO will available at May, quite long from now.

as you say, 4K is very nice in daytime but falls apart rather quickly at night compared to the current crop of 1080p sensors. will be interesting to see where the market heads though in the next year or so - as progress on these sensors is quite slow compared to mobile phone / action camera sensors.

That's largely because the higher the resolution of the sensor, the small the individual pixel on a sensor of the same size. The smaller the pixel size, the less light gathering ability it has. The traditional answer is either to use a larger sensor, or sometimes it's possible to reduce the resolution at night and increase sensitivity by grouping pixels together and getting them to work as one. The real answer though atm is a larger sensor format.

Something I forgot to mention before Viofo:

1. When you say you're aiming for a high quality lens, might I suggest ensuring the resolving power is well in excess of 4K resolutions. The sensor can only resolve the detail that's fed to it and HD lenses aren't up to the job with 4K. Personally, I'm a great believer that you can never go too sharp with the lens, so I'd personally be looking for a lens with a 14-18mp resolving power if I were putting a new lens on a 4k (8mp) camera.

2. Another big issue is how rectilinear they are and thus how much edge distortion there is.

3. The wider you go with fov, the more you spread the pixels and thus the lower the ability to read and recognise objects, in other words either please don't go excessively wide or offer a 2 lens option

4. The focal point is better beyond the bonnet that a couple of inches from the lens as it extends the dof (sharp dashboards look nice but not as nice as sharp number plates!)

5. As an alternative to 3, ever thought of having 2 lens options or making the lens removable on standard M12 thread so advanced users can swap it?

6. A removable circular polariser is a nice option eg something with a magnetic ring attachment maybe? However, here care needs to be taken to make sure the glass quality is also as good as in 1. above, otherwise the polariser will filter out the detail as well as the light!

Ribcage sell lenses for GoPro up grades that are significantly higher quality than the originals and show a big difference. Although these are well beyond the price bracket that's usable for OEM, there's little doubt in my mind they have large profit margins and similar board lenses should be available in the marketplace for oem prices. I heard a lot of these M12 lenses tend to be microscope / scientific instrument lenses. I know users on here have swapped lenses on the Mobius in the past cheaply although the quality of what they bought is unknown to me.

Just some thoughts....

Last edited:
I don't expect A119 Pro to be 4K, maybe a future version of the dashcam but not with the A119 name because is not useful at all for marketing purposes. You can not add a 4K feature on a camera which was started to sell more than 1 year ago.

Regarding 4K and lens they have some experience after they launched the GitUp F1 action camera:

But I consider for a dashcam the camera to work different compared to an action camera and this is including lens with smaller FOV, maybe 120 degrees is enough, even this number is not good for sales because too many people wants cameras with 1800000 degrees FOV.

Replacing the lens for a dashcam seems impossible because of complicate and product risks and I consider is no interest from any manufacturer to do this and I understand them.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yeah I got a bit carried away when I saw 5mp. 4K is actually 8.3mp so 5mp is probably going to be 1/2 way between HD (2.1mp) and 4K (8.3mp).

It's a pity it's not 4K as Nextbase have a 4K dashcam out although I understand from the section on here, there are still a few teething troubles.

The biggest problem with a 4K dashcam is that, compared to an action camera, it needs to record also during night so the expectations are higher also for night footage. An action cam usually records only during day or in good light conditions, nobody is recording in the dark.
For dashcams I see the biggest problem to be the motion blur, images not so clear and first should be offered great images at least at 2K and then going to 4K. But market is asking for 4K even buyers are not ready for this.
As you wrote too, 4K is needing at least 8MP image sensor which is making the image even darker compared to a 4MP or 2MP CMOS.

Another problem will be the heat and until now I expect on the market only dashcams with Ambarella 4K chipsets which are usually hot. I expect Viofo to use a Novatek future 4K chipset in their future 4K camera combined with some Sony 8MP CMOS trying to offer good image also during night.
An ideal 4K dashcam should be with a bigger CMOS than usually, able to do 60FPS at 4K just to offer a real HDR at 30FPS at the same 4K resolution.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back