A119 V4 Soon?

If you don't like screen just turn it off.
Of course i keep the screen off, why would it be on all the time?

As i said, i was hoping for a small dashcam without a screen. I didnt said that i would like the screen to be removed from a dashcam the size of A119.

I never understood some peoples problems with screens
Why is everyone picking on the screen? The main point is “small dashcam” and if that implies that a screen does not fit, so be it.

To be more clear, i would buy a dashcam like garmin mini 2 but with good video capability like the A119 v3 has.

I think some people believe that if a dashcam have a screen then it is unnecessary big to accommodate that screen, but i dont think that have ever been the case.
It is true some dashcams have big screens, and it seem to be preferred in some markets, rear view mirror cameras or conventional cameras but with like a 4" screen.

We have also now and then seen people come to the forum looking for a dashcam but have already ruled out some as in pictures they seem too big, and this have often been wedge shaped cameras like viofo ASO that are actually pretty small.

My feeling is wedge shaped cameras, while they have a "large" footprint, then if you can place most of the camera on a dotted area like in my car, then really it is just 1/3 of a already small camera you can see.
I have never personally been glad for the systems that hang off the windscreen like the Garmin mini and others do, but then again the mini at least are a very small camera, others with that kind of monting are not so small, some Korean systems of that design with the large 4" screens.

The Cylinder shaped ones are also valid, but are often wider, so in my case i can not mount it on the dotted area as then the camera would see the dots, so i would have to mount it lower, in which case the whole camera would be visible, and so not the most stealthy option in my particular car, but other cars it is indeed a option you should ´keep in mind when dashcam shopping.

I do prefer the new systems with the cameras remote from the main unit, as this can result in as little as possible cameras, and so footprint on windscreen, and the main unit you could put a 7" screen and a big heat pipe cooler for the SOC as it dont really matter as it will be hidden under the dashboard or under a seat, or in the trunk of the car.
This also mean you can make much better cooling, and that might in turn mean you could have a much better chance of doing parking guard on the hottest summer days for a longer time before the system would shut down due to high temperatures,,,,,, you could even have active cooling to help.

The cameras from the K2S system are so small i think they use 8 mm thread lenses, they are only 1/3 - 1/2 the size of other remote cameras / rear cameras in conventional 2 channel systems.
This is also why i use that system as side cameras in my car.

Advances in technology mean that you can make extraordinary small cameras like the garmin mini or insta action cameras, and so have them so small putting on a screen and not least some buttons to navigate a menu is not a good idea.

Personally i feel like i die a little and get a little more stupid every time i touch my phone, but thankfully even with a screen less dashcam, i dont have to connect to the camera every day once it is set up.
I still take my memory cards to my computer to get footage, even if camera wifi became 2 gigabit wifi speeds would i use my phone to get footage.

For me the V3 ticks all the boxes.

Solid mount
Screen to set it up
Easy mount/unmount one handed
Discrete
Works perfectly with my current 2 wire hardwire kit
Reliable
Decimal lat/long
SuperCaps

Using my head, the V4 will need to be something special to stop me getting another V3 as a backup before they are not available.

It will do that.

The problems come when you try to use the low voltage cutoff at the same time, because that becomes disabled, but I don't think you will be needing that feature anyway since your camera will be off when the battery is not being charged!

In all the forums I have read I have never seen anyone mention the µP in the HWK. The chip always has its id saved off.
I can only imagine that it is the logic that controls what the HWK does.
It would also make sense as to why the HWK plays up in some installations as µP are delicate things and to the coding.

Or am I missing something again?
@Nigel you seem to have insider knowledge of Viofo releases or are you psychic :)

Am I correct with the µP in the HWK?
Thanks,
Cheers

Im still hoping for a small wifi dashcam, no screen and at least 2k video, from viofo!
Basically a garmin mini 2 killer :)
Fingers crossed!

Not from Viofo but some members find that the Mobius Maxi 2.7K fits the bill for a small discreet dash camera with wifi and no screen. There is also the new MM4K Mobius Maxi 4K (no wifi)

For me the V3 ticks all the boxes.

Solid mount
Screen to set it up
Easy mount/unmount one handed
Discrete
Works perfectly with my current 2 wire hardwire kit
Reliable
Decimal lat/long
SuperCaps

Using my head, the V4 will need to be something special to stop me getting another V3 as a backup before they are not available.

I'm hoping it keeps all the design cues of the A119 V3 as I really like that design. Originally I didn't like a dashcam mounting to the windscreen but now I wouldn't have it any other way.
I liked the GPS being made the mount however I would like to see a much faster GPS unit that saves at every 1/60th of a second. There is a couple of really good reasons for it to be able to do that.
When the car is started for the first drive of the day/night improve the GPS so it pulls its location and speed quicker from the Satellite signals. Perhaps use more satellites. (There's plenty up there these days!)

A119 V3 (and the A119, A119 V2) is so discrete I never got so much as a second look. Testing the T130 I got plenty of looks. Funny though the type of car I drive people seem to think it is an unmarked police car and the T130 seems to be the icing on the cake. They slow down around me. It's a novel thing to happen but it starts to be annoying when the traffic flow alters eg slows down.

What I would expect for the A119-4 is a newer processor with greater speed and hence heat sink capabilities and most likely superb video quality - as you say @Kremmen, it is a high bar to climb over compared to the A119V3. Actually every time someone comes on to the DashcamTalk website asking about a good dashcam I always mention the A119V3

I hadn't considered an improved A119V3 but now I'm looking forward to what Viofo is bringing out next.

Edit addition - I really love the T130 talking. I think the voice is spot on and having the dashcam announce what function/action it is taking is fantastic.
That would be a great addition to the A119-4 and while I'm at it WiFi too.

Am I correct with the µP in the HWK?
I'm not sure what you are asking, there is a microprocessor in there, and it does have logic in it, but it does work on logic that appears to be slightly too complex for everyone to work out! Maybe because all the conditions are not published, so for example not everyone realises that the ACC signal overrides the low voltage cutoff, or that its current state depends on if it has already seen a high acc signal or not.

Wait and see before you decide,

To be more clear, i would buy a dashcam like garmin mini 2 but with good video capability like the A119 v3 has.
Wait and see before you decide!

Or am I missing something again?
@Nigel you seem to have insider knowledge of Viofo releases or are you psychic :)
I have one in my car, no need to be psychic ;)

Advances in technology mean that you can make extraordinary small cameras like the garmin mini or insta action cameras,
You can get too small though, a good lens needs some space to do its work, well unless you are going to pay Apple prices for your cameras!

Sometimes though, they get so complicated that they just can't cope.

Look at the Nextbase series 2. Far more problems reported than the series 1 that seemed quite bulletproof as it had no fancy gimmicks.

I'm waiting to see the reviews and reports about the upcoming Nextbase IQ. Talk about overkill and features you wouldn't associate with dashcams.

I just want a straightforward dashcam that turns on and off with the ignition and records good quality footage. I don't want WiFi, Bluetooth, Alexa, SOS, etc.

Last edited:
I #2 that, just give me good video and reliability, thats really all i want.

I just want a straightforward dashcam that turns on and off with the ignition and records good quality footage. I don't want WiFi, Bluetooth, Alexa, SOS, etc.
I agree. And that's one of the reasons I've been a fan of Mobius cameras. A tiny high performance camera with excellent features but no superfluous bells and whistles (or screen). The result is excellent video and audio with very high reliability.

Last edited:
I have one in my car, no need to be psychic ;)

How do you get Alpha product? If that's what you might call it.
You also had the T130 well in advance.

I guess what I'm really saying is I'm surprised how far advanced these products are kicking around in various development stages.
I new car manufacturing did it generally years ahead. But a dash cam developer! Quite impressive really. Just reinforces in my mind Viofo intend to be around for as long as possible.

@Nigel I'm curious how the process works to be on the ground floor so to speak on new products. Perhaps you could pm me with some insight.
Thanks,
Cheers

I'm curious how the process works to be on the ground floor so to speak on new products.

Many members here on DCT have been involved in pre-production camera testing. Some of us have even recommended features, design and firmware changes that have been implemented. Sometimes manufacturers invite certain members to become involved and on rare occasions volunteers are accepted if they are deemed worthy.

There are private, invitation only sub-forums here on DCT that only specified members have access to. These are available to them when they log in to the forum. So, for example, a small group of designated members might privately test, evaluate and discuss a camera design that is not yet in production or public distribution. Sometimes it might be only a single member working privately with a camera developer.

Many members here on DCT have been involved in pre-production camera testing. Some of us have even recommended features, design and firmware changes that have been implemented. Sometimes manufacturers invite certain members to become involved and on rare occasions volunteers are accepted if they are deemed worthy.

There are private, invitation only sub-forums here on DCT that only specified members have access to. These are available to them when they log in to the forum. So, for example, a small group of designated members might privately test, evaluate and discuss a camera design that is not yet in production or public distribution. Sometimes it might be only a single member working privately with a camera developer.
Thanks @Dashmellow for the heads up. I didn't realise such a structure was in place here.
That does help to explain in some situations why some members seem to have such depth of knowledge on "a just released product"
I thought to get that knowledge they where pulling apart the product! Like I do sometimes

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.
Cheers

That does help to explain in some situations why some members seem to have such depth of knowledge on "a just released product"
Also comes from reading some of the threads on here. In the case of the hardwire kit we were talking about, my knowledge of the microprocessor comes from reading jokiin's posts, and he was involved in its design, or at least the Street Guardian version of it. I also have a retail version of the Viofo version in my car, which I have spent a bit of time testing.

@Nigel I'm curious how the process works to be on the ground floor so to speak on new products. Perhaps you could pm me with some insight.
Viofo will quite likely soon start a thread on this forum offering some beta versions of the new camera(s). You can then sign up if you wish, and Viofo will choose a few people to send them out to. Helps if you are a regular poster and have a good history on here, or if you are good at posting review videos on Youtube, etc.

There is another camera on the way soon, but that is for another thread!

Oh that is interesting. I do rather like my V3, but would like to replace the 70mai rear cam I have with something from Viofo, but was hoping - especially after the mention about "V4" (but not called V4) 119 - that there might be an update to a 2-channel product coming along soon. I shall have to keep my eyes open for more info in other sections of the forum.

Oh that is interesting. I do rather like my V3, but would like to replace the 70mai rear cam I have with something from Viofo, but was hoping - especially after the mention about "V4" (but not called V4) 119 - that there might be an update to a 2-channel product coming along soon. I shall have to keep my eyes open for more info in other sections of the forum.
Yes, there is "V4" coming soon, still call A119, but not called A119 V4. New design, and new hardware, and use the USB-C port.

What I would expect for the A119-4 is a newer processor with greater speed
At least the 5GHz Wi-Fi speed is much better with the new hardware. But everyone should not expect miracles regarding video image quality. For sure Viofo will offer the best they can and the new camera will be not lower quality than its previous version.

Yes, there is also a new 2-channel product coming soon except the "A119 V4".

Will be nice to see 2K also on rear camera.

What sensor can cope with 2k front and rear?

Back