A129 Purple Tint

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
My A129 front camera has developed a purple tint, when driving in overcast conditions. The rear camera colour seems fine. Any thoughts?
FW V1.50, WDR is off, front EV -2/3, rear EV+0.

1582622590670.png

Last edited:
Maybe you have got used to the more greenish white balance of the A129 Pro? People going from the A129 to the Pro sometimes complain that the Pro is not purple enough. The rear of the A129 has never quite matched the front, despite them being the same sensor and lens!

Your video shows how well the standard A129 Starvis sensor copes with "overcast conditions", nice clarity on the number plates in the low light.

Don't think the Australian fire smoke has arrived here yet...

My A129 front camera has developed a purple tint, when driving in overcast conditions. The rear camera colour seems fine. Any thoughts?
FW V1.50, WDR is off, front EV -2/3, rear EV+0.

Seems like camera is merely coping with low lighting / overcast conditions? Video itself is pretty clear.

Yes, it's probably nothing to worry about. Some of the colours are more blue/purple than I remember.

Yes, it's probably nothing to worry about. Some of the colours are more blue/purple than I remember.

You could bring the camera inside and shoot some footage of a white wall under diffused 5000ºk (approximately) midday sunlight and see if there is a noticeable color shift. (Or perhaps find a building with a white wall to park in front of.)

did it stay like that for the duration of the recording?
It stayed like that for the duration of those lighting conditions. The colours changed back to "normal" when I passed under a bridge.

The video looks back to 'normal' about 5 min later. So it was just the first 15min of my drive that was affected.

Back