A139 Firmware

Adding too many options to a product can add more possibilities for a failure.
Nothing can happen there, as it can, then there will be a solution.
Now everything is super, VIOFO made an excellent firmware and an excellent application !!
Huge thanks to them!!
A139 is the best product on the market!!
My_FW_V1.7_0218
Changing the HDR does not lead to a frame skip!!

Last edited:
@viofo @VIOFO-Support

So I just updated the firmware to the version available on Viofo website (v1.6_0106) and I'm noticing that if I have camera sounds set to anything except "all sounds on", the voice notifications are off also, even though they are set to on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Which version of 1.7 is that? I did find a version 1.7 in another post on the forum posted by user Viofo and installed it and it does the same thing. That version shows as 1.7_0218 (Feb 18th)

Does yours still play the voice prompts when the sounds are off or button beeps are off?

EDIT: I installed the firmware you linked just to try and it's the same version (1.7_0218) and still does the same thing.

Last edited:
Everything on mine (purchased 12/21 or so) is working as intended out of the box, so I'm hesitant to update.

I'm new with parking mode. Does the dashcam inform about new saved recordings in parking mode with g-sensor when you enter the car?

I'm new with parking mode. Does the dashcam inform about new saved recordings in parking mode with g-sensor when you enter the car?
No. I very much would like this feature @viofo - A counter of g-sensor events when parked, read out in numbers when back on Driving mode.

It would also be nice if they could implement a different style menu for the voice notification. The current one doesnt allow individual preferences.
The option to choose if want want the startup sound, the recording started notification activated or not with a simple checkbox would be very nice to have.

After the rains, the second day is sunny, the car is dirty, and the washer fluid has also ended!!
You can see the number of oncoming car, even with dirty, oncoming!!

HDR enabled MY_FW_V1.7_0218

Last edited:
I neet help, I updated the Tough 1.6 and the fps60 option and resolution selection disappeared.

This is how it reads the numbers of oncoming cars in high-speed mode, HDR ON constantly.
The next trip on the same track will be with HDR turned off!
The speed and time there is on the video!!

The A139 is an excellent camera but most decent dash cams can capture oncoming license plates on a bright sunny day like in the above video.

On the other hand, we see the same out-of-registration double exposure images we witnessed on the A119 V3 caused by the HDR function. This is still an issue in my opinion even if plate numbers are captured well because other details in the image can also be very important. There needs to be some way to eliminate these double images that occur when HDR is enabled for it to be a truly viable feature. From what I understand this issue will need to be fixed by the DSP chip manufacturer.

double_image2.jpg

double_image1.jpg

Last edited:
but most decent dash cams can capture oncoming license plates on a bright sunny day like in the above video.

On the other hand, we see the same out-of-registration double exposure images we witnessed on the A119 V3 caused by the HDR function.
It's not about shooting numbers, but the work of the NDR, which in most decent video cameras simply does not exist !!
On A119V3, you can’t get such a result as here, there the numbers double in bright light.

The fact that there is a double in this is nothing terrible, the main thing is that everything is readable.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    926.9 KB · Views: 24
I wonder how they choose the electronic 'shutter' speed and if they prioritize it b
oh who cares lets hope for improvements

This is how it reads the numbers of oncoming cars in high-speed mode, HDR ON constantly.
The next trip on the same track will be with HDR turned off!
The speed and time there is on the video!!

Is this a custom firmware?

I wonder how they choose the electronic 'shutter' speed and if they prioritize it b
oh who cares lets hope for improvements

The issue we see here with the double exposures has to do with the HDR (High Dynamic Range) feature. The camera shoots two simultaneous frames - one is optimized for the highlights and the other is optimized for the shadows. The two frames are then superimposed onto one another, thus producing a single image that is properly exposed for both the bright highlights and the shadows. The problem is that the two identical frame are out of registration so you get what appears to be a double exposure.

As far as I can tell, the issue is separate from "shutter speed" per se, since the images appear properly exposed with well preserved highlight details in bright light, as well as good shadow detail, except that we still get the two out-of-sync double exposures.

When this issue first began to be reported on the A119 V3 a year ago July, @viofo said that the double frame issue has to do with the way HDR is implemented on the DSP chip itself which limits what can be done to fix it in the firmware. The chip manufacturer needs to fix this.

If only the camera shoot 2 simultaneous frames, but i think it is consecutive frames, which is fine as long as you dont have much movement.
I loving call it poor mans HDR

If only the camera shoot 2 simultaneous frames, but i think it is consecutive frames, which is fine as long as you dont have much movement.
I loving call it poor mans HDR

Well, it "may" be consecutive, but it is supposed to be simultaneous. That is how HDR video is supposed to work. For dash cams, which have limited capabilities compared with fancy high end cinema cameras it "should" use the 60 fps capability of these chips to shoot two simultaneous 30 fps images at the same time at different "shutter speeds".

It's not about shooting numbers, but the work of the NDR, which in most decent video cameras simply does not exist !!
On A119V3, you can’t get such a result as here, there the numbers double in bright light.

The fact that there is a double in this is nothing terrible, the main thing is that everything is readable.

You are right, the plate numbers do look much better on the A139 than on the A119 V3. You do good work with your firmware mods.

Obviously, capturing license plate numbers is important but capturing other details can be very important as well. For example, the reason I became interested in dash cams 12 years ago was because I was being harassed by someone I had a business dispute with who was pissed off that I hired an attorney. All kinds of crazy sh*t happened. I not only needed to identify the other car involved but also the person who was driving the car. Double exposures would have made that more difficult.

As I've been saying, the issue concerning the double exposures seems to be a result of how HDR is implemented on the chip and will need to be resolved by the chip manufacturer even if your work can improve the stock firmware.

Back