Curiosity Question. Both the A129 and A139 support Station Mode. Meaning the cameras can connect to a router, hotspot, etc. I wonder if Viofo has any future plans to integrate station mode with "Live View" like Blackvue Cameras accomplish through the Cloud. Allowing you to view your vehicle from anywhere in the world, so long as the camera is connected to an internet source.

I guess Viofo would have to chime in if they have any future plans.
@VIOFO-Support @viofo
^^^ this would be awesome if it could be done!!! Thoughts?

Not for me, if i turn on my home wifi, then the signal going thru the apartment out the wall and down in the back yard to my car are very weak.
But even for my loathe of wifi a do want it in a future camera, but it need to be a faster protocol, and then i need to get a extender for my balcony to put under my CCTV camera.

Not that i would be using my dashcam as am monitoring tool that way, but a fast way to backup instead of messing with the little spring loaded devils ( memory cards ) that would be nice.
I will also settle for backing up by inserting a USB memory stick in the dashcam, but this too need to be fast as i would be sitting in the car waiting for it to get done, and unlike most people i can not whip out my phone when i get bored.

Backing up, in my mind that is just grabbing the new event files, no way in hell would i waste HDD space saving everything on the camera.

The VIA mobile hotspot is also a problem as i can not get a #2 SIM card so i can share my mobile data that way, cuz no way in hell will i blow money on another SIM card / mobile / data plan, for that to happen it would have to be perpetual summer and trees where i could go pick money growing on them.

Last edited:
Since when A139 supports Station mode?

Hmmm. Thought I'd say it did. Looks like I read wrong then.

So the followup would be then:

1. Does Viofo Plan to add station Mode.
2. Could Viofo Offer Cloud Support and Live View.

Curiosity Question. Both the A129 and A139 support Station Mode. Meaning the cameras can connect to a router, hotspot, etc. I wonder if Viofo has any future plans to integrate station mode with "Live View" like Blackvue Cameras accomplish through the Cloud. Allowing you to view your vehicle from anywhere in the world, so long as the camera is connected to an internet source.

I guess Viofo would have to chime in if they have any future plans.
@VIOFO-Support @viofo
^^^ this would be awesome if it could be done!!! Thoughts?
I think it would be a "huge success" to get even the StationMode and Wifi Auto-On released (there probably will be a beta... :sneaky:), let alone secured internet access...

How exactly do you plan to manage that? The only easiest possible way i can think of is VPN or DDNS, both need some sort of support on the chipset side (theoretically could be manageable), not to mention the work behind this and eventually a server to re-route the mobile non-public IPs.

It would probably be hard to run a cloud function in and out of the great firewall.
Of course Viofo could go to international data centers and host there.

I am not a fan of cloud in any way ( a fire in a French data center actually just lost a Dane all his work )
I would prefer to have cameras being able to send stuff to my own network, like a NAS or a running computer at home. even if a fire could also wipe that out too, but thats a null issue for me as i have nothing important to loose other than the hardware itself.

I do realize that there are still many people who are on a internet connection that would struggle with a added load like that, and it would suck if when your wife go to shop you can not play a game meanwhile.
BUT ! i think all we humans should prioritize what is important to us and what we can do / afford.

I think it would be a "huge success" to get even the StationMode and Wifi Auto-On released (there probably will be a beta... :sneaky:), let alone secured internet access...

How exactly do you plan to manage that? The only easiest possible way i can think of is VPN or DDNS, both need some sort of support on the chipset side (theoretically could be manageable), not to mention the work behind this and eventually a server to re-route the mobile non-public IPs.

Blackvue accomplished this by ttwo means:

1. They have an LTE Modem (uses sim card) that: https://blackvue.com/product/lte-connectivity-module/

1619017351181.png

One could also accomplish this by hardwiring a wireless modem into one's vehicle, too. Either through a battery pack of fuse box. If the A139 wasn't capable of an add on attachment.

2. Blackvue routes their traffic through the cloud. To see a live view, you simply log in to the Blackvue App, according to their literature. So Yes, the camera must be assigned a unique DNS and the cloud server runs a DDNS to keep the DNS updated.

Watch live video on your phone.Any where, at any time of the day. *​

So a Viofo Camera would need:

1. Station Mode Support
2. Internet Connectivity (add on or stand alone)
3. Firmware update to add cloud support
4. Viofo to create a DDNS and DNS + Cloud support
5. Update app to support Live View

If Viofo did this, they would have a lock on the market. Blackvues are nearly twice the price of a Viofo. Blackvue doesn't have a 3 Channel Option. Nor does Blackvue support low bitrate Park Mode. You either can use motion Detection or Full Recording Mode while parked (according to their literature)

Last edited:
I do realize that there are still many people who are on a internet connection that would struggle with a added load like that, and it would suck if when your wife go to shop you can not play a game meanwhile.
BUT ! i think all we humans should prioritize what is important to us and what we can do / afford.

I believe (correct me if I am wrong) the blackvue's still write to a memory card. The Cloud Option provides Live View and access to the Camera's Files.

@HonestReview I had DR900S as well as DR900X with the LTE modem... I'm sorry but you clearly don't have a slightest idea what it means (no wonder, it isn't that far in the past i had to explain you what StationMode means). The LTE modem is just a device which provides internet connection and that's it, means nothing to the device. It's like a window to the world without handle to open it.

When you connect your phone or laptop to internet, are they available via internet to another device..? No, it's most likely behind NAT (sometimes even multiple), you have to do some steps to manage such approach. For example in case of public IP (most of the time not the case for mobile data connection) to set portforward on the gateway side (not the smartest idea, quite hard with mobile modems), or install a software which then re-routes communication to some servers which are publicly accessible. Servers are not for free, even Blackvue uses rather Amazon S3 than their own. And who is gonna pay for that software development, licences and hardware? What about drivers for USB LTE modems? At top of that you need to have such communication secured.

I can imagine a new product, much more expensive from Viofo... I wouldn't expect a new modified firmware and instruction to just connect an USB LTE modem (or connection via MiFi) anytime soon. But it probably could be manageable via some sort of community solution of some hobbyists because they wouldn't care about using opensource solutions and the times when it wouldn't work. Which is not a case for official manufacturer which reputation is on the table. I have to admit that i'm thinking about something like that but i'm still waiting for the StationMode and Wifi Auto-TurnOn, otherwise it would be quite pain in the butt, not to mention my limited knowledge and time.

I believe (correct me if I am wrong) the blackvue's still write to a memory card. The Cloud Option provides Live View and access to the Camera's Files.
Correct. Recordings are stored in SDcard as in other dashcams. The only true cloud feature is Auto-upload for event files which are actually a recordings of a substream in 480p (not even the actual event files, only recordings of a substream starting few seconds after the event happened - not usable that much due to delayed start and low resolution) One is able to upload some files to the cloud but that has to be done manually (kinda pointless). Rest of the cloud is about providing access to the camera storage, LiveView, GPS informations and Notifications.

Last edited:
So a Viofo Camera would need:

1. Station Mode Support
2. Internet Connectivity (add on or stand alone)
3. Firmware update to add cloud support
4. Viofo to create a DDNS and DNS + Cloud support
5. Update app to support Live View
A129 Duo has:
"1. Station Mode Support (Supported in standard firmware.)
"2. Internet Connectivity (add on or stand alone) (Supported if you provide a mobile router for the station mode to connect to)
"3. Firmware update to add cloud support (Already has an http server that can provide files and live video.)
"4. Viofo to create a DDNS and DNS + Cloud support (Not sure what you mean by that.)
"5. Update app to support Live View (You can already access live view via http from any web browser if you have access to the camera IP address.)

Viofo is missing a cloud server, but what useful functions would that perform if they did provide one? Seems to me that only Blackvue really attempt to provide this, and I suspect that few of their customers actually use it after the initial play with new toy period! Would be interesting to hear what cloud features people do actually use six months into ownership?

Would be interesting to hear what cloud features people do actually use six months into ownership?
Notifications, LiveView, GPS location tracking and Status(online/offline, overheating, etc.). That's the answer from me. :D

I was using it like this almost from the beginning to the bitter end, where i returned it due to constant HW issues.

A129 Duo has:
"1. Station Mode Support (Supported in standard firmware.)
"2. Internet Connectivity (add on or stand alone) (Supported if you provide a mobile router for the station mode to connect to)
"3. Firmware update to add cloud support (Already has an http server that can provide files and live video.)
"4. Viofo to create a DDNS and DNS + Cloud support (Not sure what you mean by that.)
"5. Update app to support Live View (You can already access live view via http from any web browser if you have access to the camera IP address.)

Viofo is missing a cloud server, but what useful functions would that perform if they did provide one? Seems to me that only Blackvue really attempt to provide this, and I suspect that few of their customers actually use it after the initial play with new toy period! Would be interesting to hear what cloud features people do actually use six months into ownership?

1. A129 has station mode support. I guess the A139 Does not.
2. Internet connectivity doesn't have an add on Modem like Blackvue. If you provide your own then yes, the A129 can connect to the internet.

#3-5....Correct me if I am wrong here...

3. Blackvues internet enabled cameras (with modem) allows the camera to talk to the cloud. With Blackvues app, you can then view your camera in "live mode".

I do not believe that Viofo supports a "Live View" through https. If anything, that would be a way to access the files remotely, but not see a "live View" as the camera is recording.

Secondarily, if the A129 connects in station mode, is it accessible anywhere in the world through the https: or only through the local network. I.E. if the Viofo connects to your 4G Vehicle Modem, can you access those files from elsewhere, so long as internet is provided to the camera?

To do so requires a real ip versus an internal 192 IP.

A DNS = Domain Name Server. Say your REAL OUTSIDE ip is 65.41.22.111 This ip can change. So you would have it linked to a DNS cows.for.life.goes.mooo.com . Say it loses connection and reconnects with 65.41.22.113. A DNS links to internet connected device and regularly updates the IP to the DDNS server. So you could always use the cows.for.life.goes.mooo.com to connect versus having to know the ip;..

DDNS = Is server that handles the DNS

Notifications, LiveView, GPS location tracking and Status(online/offline, overheating, etc.). That's the answer from me. :D

I was using it like this almost from the beginning to the bitter end, where i returned it due to constant HW issues.

Using the A129 or a Blackvue?

Can the A129's files be accessed through the https: anywhere in the world so long as the camera is set to station mode and is connected to the internet?

I am running the 1.05 old firmware which is stable as hell. But of course lacks station mode. So I haven't tested the feature.

Using the A129 or a Blackvue?

Can the A129's files be accessed through the https: anywhere in the world so long as the camera is set to station mode and is connected to the internet?
@Nigel was asking about Blackvue cloud.

I never had old A129 but if it's the same as other Viofo dashcams then that's NO as a standalone device. Yes, it does have http webinterface, providing access to recorded files, live-video stream, control, settings, firmware upload (anything else? :unsure: ) but that's not everything you need.
If the dashcam is hiding behind NAT with public IP(or has a direct access...), then as i've mentioned above, you can use portforward in the gateway settings and then you will have access to the camera from everywhere with internet connection (basically own server).

@Nigel was asking about Blackvue cloud.

I never had old A129 but if it's the same as other Viofo dashcams then that's NO as a standalone device. Yes, it does have http webinterface, providing access to recorded files, live-video stream, control, settings, firmware upload (anything else? :unsure: ) but that's not everything you need.
If the dashcam is hiding behind NAT with public IP(or has a direct access...), then as i've mentioned above, you can use portforward in the gateway settings and then you will have access to the camera from everywhere with internet connection (basically own server).

I found the above on the A129. I have a couple questions (Goes for A139, too when available)

1. Does Station Mode Reduce Bitrate?
2. Will Station Mode Generate Heat and Cause Overheating

I found the above on the A129. I have a couple questions (Goes for A139, too when available)

1. Does Station Mode Reduce Bitrate?
2. Will Station Mode Generate Heat and Cause Overheating
1. For A129, enabled Wifi reduces bitrate. For A139, it shouldn't (but i would lie if i tell you that I've specifically tested it and i'm 100% sure it's not - i haven't noticed any difference and i think that even Viofo claimed here somewhere that it won't affect IQ)
2. It's another active part which consumes power and produces waste, so yes, it will generate heat. Whether it will cause overheating or not probably nobody knows, since A139 was released about at the end of the year and summer is only about to come.

1. For A129, enabled Wifi reduces bitrate. For A139, it shouldn't (but i would lie if i tell you that I've specifically tested it and i'm 100% sure it's not - i haven't noticed any difference and i think that even Viofo claimed here somewhere that it won't affect IQ)
2. It's another active part which consumes power and produces waste, so yes, it will generate heat. Whether it will cause overheating or not probably nobody knows, since A139 was released about at the end of the year and summer is only about to come.

Enabling Wifi on A129 Duo reduces bitrate, but what about enabling Station Mode? Station Mode is connecting to a signal versus Broadcasting a signal (Access Point). So does Station Mode also result in reduced bitrate.

Last edited:

Thanks.

If you don't require cloud storage then there isn't really much to implement, but it is still a lot to add unless a significant number of people are going to use it, and I doubt that many will use it given that car wifi tends to turn off when parked (all the time you want to use it), unless the dashcam comes with LTE?

Enabling Wifi on A129 Duo reduces bitrate, but what about enabling Station Mode? Station Mode is connecting to a signal versus Broadcasting a signal (Access Point). So does Station Mode also result in reduced bitrate.
Yes, turning on the wifi to use station mode will turn on the transceiver and use power, unfortunately wifi does not work the same way as low power Bluetooth.

On the A139 there is no reduction in bitrate when using wifi, with the current firmware, and it will likely stay the same for future firmware unless it is found to cause reliability issues over midsummer.

Yeah you have to put in your efforts where it is needed and / or appreciated.
I do think more and more people will request more and more smarts in their cameras, gadget score will probably surpass the image quality score soon.

Back