A229 Pro Firmware Update OTA Works.... (Over the Air) LN

Guessing we'll need a v1.3 or anything newer than this v1.2 , for it to work....
I don't understand.
Were you able to update your A229 Pro using the new OTA method?
I haven't tried mine yet.
I asked Lateral because he makes those nice screen capture videos.
I don't know how to do that.
I don't think my iPhone SE 2020 is capable.
-Chuck

I don't understand.
Were you able to update your A229 Pro using the new OTA method?
I haven't tried mine yet.
I asked Lateral because he makes those nice screen capture videos.
I don't know how to do that.
I don't think my iPhone SE 2020 is capable.
-Chuck
I didn't even bother as the LateralNW findings with the 1.2 firmware weeks ago on this thread, and what Viofo said, seemed to point that it wouldn't be enabled until 1.2 was manually pushed to the device itself.

As for video capture videos, don't tell me newer iPhones only can do that. That's ridiculous if so, Android had that for the last decade :eek:

As for video capture videos, don't tell me newer iPhones only can do that. That's ridiculous if so, Android had that for the last decade :eek:

Hey when you live in the iPhone bubble there's lots of frustrating "features" that take forever to be implemented vs android

Try having one foot in both worlds, that's when it gets really painful

Give me a couple more days.
I have to delete the app so I can clear the original file i downloaded. I can't delete the previous file as Apple doesn't allow access.

I want to do it from scratch.
I tried doing it with my iPhone SE 2020.
But, I could not get it to work.
I think we may need to wait for the next APP update, (4.1 or higher).
There should be one coming soon.

Hey when you live in the iPhone bubble there's lots of frustrating "features" that take forever to be implemented vs android

Try having one foot in both worlds, that's when it gets really painful
I have had foot in both worlds for a few years and there's undoubtedly some things iPhone does very very well I admit, but there's still basics that I have used for my workflow for the last 5+ years that iPhone doesn't do. Which is horrendous to me considering how powerful it is.

Typical Apple crap though, totally their fault

I tried doing it with my iPhone SE 2020.
But, I could not get it to work.
I think we may need to wait for the next APP update, (4.1 or higher).
There should be one coming soon.

I guess I'll find out soon.
Every time I start the app on the iPhone and connect to the A229Pro it prompts me to continue with the firmware update which I decline.

Before I do it I just need to check i don't have any video files within the app that I'll lose.

3.) LCD Display Horizon Alignment Line (50% Road / 50% Sky
Oh, no! I requested this feature maybe 5 years ago for A119 V3. :cigar:
Viofo quickly implemented it on a beta firmware for A119 V3 and that dashcam was the first dashcam in the world with this feature.
Then some idiots started to complain about that magic line and it was removed by Viofo and never implemented again.
Such great idea vanished because of idiots. And that line was created for them, not for me, because I know how to properly adjust a dashcam lens.

In the meantime another dashcam company used my idea. Congratulations to them! Seems that they know how to keep the vampires away in the same way FGTH is saying in the beginning of the Power of Love. :giggle:

Now I hope you will be more lucky with this request to be implemented and it will be not removed again because of stupid people.

It even has a name, it was HLA (Horizontal Line Adjustment). The HLA baby had a name and was killed before his born by the stupidity. So I was the father of HLA, it could have now 5 years, Rest in peace! :alien:

Good luck with 3.) !

This is now fully supported for A229 Pro and Plus.

1. It requires to update the APP.
2. Manually update the firmware to the V1.2 first, then it will support OTA update for the future version.

The V1.2 will be released soon.

I think there is still work to be done for the app and the A229 Pro to update OTA (Over The Air) based on my tests.

I started this thread because I could download the firmware from the app for the A229 Pro but stopped before the upgrade due to it being not released as working at that point.

I've since had a go at the full process and found it it gets stuck at the 1% installation point.
I tested this with the LTE on and OFF but it made no difference.
Tested it with the camera connected and with only the app opened.

Perhaps there is another step I've missed but I couldn't get it to install the firmware.

Here is the what is happening on the A229 Pro screen and what is happening in the app at the same time.

I think there is still work to be done for the app and the A229 Pro to update OTA (Over The Air) based on my tests.

I started this thread because I could download the firmware from the app for the A229 Pro but stopped before the upgrade due to it being not released as working at that point.

I've since had a go at the full process and found it it gets stuck at the 1% installation point.
I tested this with the LTE on and OFF but it made no difference.
Tested it with the camera connected and with only the app opened.

Perhaps there is another step I've missed but I couldn't get it to install the firmware.

Here is the what is happening on the A229 Pro screen and what is happening in the app at the same time.
Thank you for taking the time to confirm, and film a video.
If I recall correctly I think @viofo said the "wireless" OTA firmware updates will be 100% fully functional when they release the next version of the Smartphone APP.
I've got my fingers crossed it will also have the 50/50 lens alignment in the live view.

Thank you for taking the time to confirm, and film a video.
If I recall correctly I think @viofo said the "wireless" OTA firmware updates will be 100% fully functional when they release the next version of the Smartphone APP.
I've got my fingers crossed it will also have the 50/50 lens alignment in the live view.
This. They did say it's coming in 1.3 and possible new version of the app, but 1.2 was getting it ready for the future updates, so of course it's not going to work before then.

I'll try again with the latest firmware.
FW 240227

I don't understand the app update. The last update was the 11 Dec 2023 for both Apple and Android and its March now.

What I find odd is that Viofo use to be able to update the firmware over the air.
Perhaps they lost the code they used?

I'll try again with the latest firmware.
FW 240227

I don't understand the app update. The last update was the 11 Dec 2023 for both Apple and Android and its March now.

What I find odd is that Viofo use to be able to update the firmware over the air.
Perhaps they lost the code they used?
If it's what I suspect it is, similar happens with smartphone updates with firmware. They might have a new feature in firmware but decided not to switch it on yet.

I suspect the same has happened here, the code is in 1.2 update but they haven't turned it on yet. Either that or it needs the Viofo app update to enable it. I wouldn't stress either way - Viofo said it isn't here yet and that it would be in 1.3.

This. They did say it's coming in 1.3 and possible new version of the app, but 1.2 was getting it ready for the future updates, so of course it's not going to work before then.
Actually they said...

It requires the latest firmware to support, it is supported in the V1.1_240117.
We will announce this feature soon.
And this
This is now fully supported for A229 Pro and Plus.

1. It requires to update the APP.
2. Manually update the firmware to the V1.2 first, then it will support OTA update for the future version.

The V1.2 will be released soon.

I manually updated the Firmware and found once that was completed guess what.... yep it didn't have anything to update from OTA method. Go figure ;)

When manually updating the rear camera it took a considerable time and at one point I thought it had locked up.

Anyone manually updating the A229 Pro needs to make sure they give it time to complete the process.
It might be a place when if interrupted could brick the rear camera.

I also did the update on a Viofo 32 GB memory card formatted to exFAT and it worked fine. I just used the windows formatter.

I'll attempt to upload a video of the firmware update so customers can see first hand how long it takes and how it does it.

Actually they said...

And this
That's what I said mate. "manually update to 1.2 first then it will support OTA update for the future version." Why you trying to check for an OTA update that isn't there yet?

1.3 will most likely be pushed via OTA (and standalone download on their website for those wanting to do it manually via microSD). I doubt very much they will be bothering with OTA update until a public firmware is available to push and not just to beta testers (if they decided to do that)

Back