A229 Pro Test & Review PP

@Panzer Platform I have a suggestion for comparing low-light motion blur in your setup, without introducing something that affects the metering or any other aspect of the recording. Take one of your high-contrast subjects, a sheet of white paper with VIOFO printed on it, and stick that to the arm of a metronome that you can place on your bench. Then adjust the BPM until you can see motion blur on all cameras.

Passenger Compartment FOV Comparison

Q: What does the Horizontal FOV difference look like when installed in the rear passenger compartment between these cameras?
A229 Pro Rear ……………….110°
A229 Pro Interior …………….122°
A139 Pro Interior …………….124°
A229 Pro Interior IR LED’s …84°
A139 Pro Interior IR LED’s …98°
A: I thought you’d never ask.
Each camera was installed in the same location by using the original mount from the A229 Duo that was already installed on my rear window by removing / reinstalling the 3 screws that hold the camera in the mount.
The original A229 Duo, A139 Pro, A229 Pro, A229 Plus all use the same Rear & Interior camera case / mount.
But faffing between 3 different cable connections quickly turned into a logistical nightmare, (2 different size Coax & USB Type-C).

A229 Pro Rear FOV 110° .png
A229 Pro Interior FOV 122° .png
A139 Pro Interior FOV 124° .png
A229 Pro Interior IR LED’s FOV 84° .png
A139 Pro Interior IR LED’s FOV 98° .png

Remarks:
A229 Pro Front: .....Unacceptable - Corrective Action Required
A139 Pro 1-CH: .....Acceptable - .....2nd best HDR performance I’ve ever tested.
A229 Plus Front: ....Unacceptable - Corrective Action Required
A119 Mini 2: ...........Acceptable - .....Best HDR Performance I’ve ever tested.
A229 Pro Rear: ......Unacceptable - Corrective Action Required
A229 Plus Rear: .....Unacceptable - Corrective Action Required
A229 Pro Interior: ...Acceptable
A229 Plus Interior: ..Acceptable

Conclusion:
Dear Viofo, whatever secret sauce you put on the A119 Mini 2’s HDR please put it on the;
1.) A229 Pro Front
2.) A229 Pro Rear
3.) A229 Plus Front
4.) A229 Plus Rear
I know you can do it because the HDR on the INTERIOR camera works.
Until we get an acceptable public firmware to fix basic HDR performance gathering “driving” test footage is almost a waste of gas.
I don’t think my request is unreasonable.
Please make the HDR performance as good, or better than the A119 Mini 2.
-Chuck
Well basically @Panzer Platform answered why I have not done my review yet. Night vision is simply not cutting it. I have night time video as well. Lots of it. Lots of different versions of the video as well. Everytime the 229 Pro has not kept up to A139 Pro. Pretty soon I will have to remove it from the vehicle to make room for other reviews.

One thing i love about the Vantrue N5 is the click of the mechanical IR cut filters engaging / disengaging, i never heard that from any Viofo

But maybe that is a experience to come ?

One thing i love about the Vantrue N5 is the click of the mechanical IR cut filters engaging / disengaging, i never heard that from any Viofo

But maybe that is a experience to come ?
The current draw is also very high on Vantrue in comparison to Viofo. Curious if that could be one of the factors

@Panzer Platform I have a suggestion for comparing low-light motion blur in your setup, without introducing something that affects the metering or any other aspect of the recording. Take one of your high-contrast subjects, a sheet of white paper with VIOFO printed on it, and stick that to the arm of a metronome that you can place on your bench. Then adjust the BPM until you can see motion blur on all cameras.

He's already heard this suggestion here in this thread two weeks ago and ignored it.

A metronome would be a good tool for measuring motion blur indoors.

He's already heard this suggestion here in this thread two weeks ago and ignored it.
To be fair, it's something I've considered too but, like PP, I'm all out of metronomes.

I forgot that you already gave that suggestion recently.

To be fair, it's something I've considered too but, like PP, I'm all out of metronomes.

I forgot that you already gave that suggestion recently.

You can buy mechanical metronomes for as little as $15-$20 dollars on eBay or Amazon. @Panzer Platform has stated that he spends a lot of money on equipment and tools to run his dash cam review and product promotion business. There is no reason he couldn't invest in a metronome considering how important the issue of motion blur is to users.

You can buy mechanical metronomes for as little as $15-$20 dollars on eBay or Amazon. @Panzer Platform has stated that he spends a lot of money on equipment and tools to run his dash cam review and product promotion business. There is no reason he couldn't invest in a metronome considering how important the issue of motion blur is to users.
Or the manufacturer could test the product and deliver us a product where we do not need to be their free dash cam development community. A lot of the stuff being brought up should be on products in pre production. Not on a shipped product. I respect your point of him driving and testing. But i tell you if I show you the night time testing you will be sadly disappointed.

Or the manufacturer could test the product and deliver us a product where we do not need to be their free dash cam development community. A lot of the stuff being brought up should be on products in pre production. Not on a shipped product. I respect your point of him driving and testing. But i tell you if I show you the night time testing you will be sadly disappointed.

I would agree that the dash camera manufacturers should deliver fully formed products that do not need to have enthusiasts perform as de-facto employees to test and evaluate dash cams for flaws and performance issues. You don't generally see this in the "real" camera industry for example, (think Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc.)

Then again, as someone who has been using and testing dash cams for more than 13 years I can't help but notice that this is not how the dash cam business (and many other businesses) operate in this day and age.

Manufacturers and certain retailers do not hand out many thousands of dollars worth of free dash cams, expensive battery packs and other related merchandise on forums like this because they really need this level of product testing and feedback, they do it because it is far cheaper than hiring an expensive advertising agency to promote their brand and get eyeballs on their products. Flaws that may turn up in some cameras and their eventual resolution are merely a facet of what engages people in the product and is just part of the process. This is all part of a larger phenomenon since the advent of the internet generally referred to as behavioral marketing, viral marketing and influencer marketing.

I've been watching this play out on this forum ever since I became a member ten years ago last month. In the "old days" only a small and select group of members would receive dash cams for testing and review, except that this process usually took place in private and would be discussed among a small group of invited testers/evaluators in conversation with the developer and the camera's flaws and new features/improvements would eventually be reflected in the products publicly available to purchase. Many times these were pre-production cameras but not always.

For those who don't know, DashCamTalk has "secret" threads that are only accessible to designated members when they log-in but invisible to everyone else and that is where all the testing and discussion would usually take place.

Nowadays, handing out free cameras for evaluation is a public free-for-all and is done primarily for product and brand promotion even if it does serve a useful purpose sometimes.

For one example of what is happening these days, Vantrue only came onto this forum about a year ago and now, personally, I've lost track of just how many individual threads there are from members who have received free Vantrue cameras for testing and review. The result is that Vantrue is now one of the most talked about dash cam brands on the forum. Viofo does their own version of this. This investment for manufacturers handing out free cameras for review is apparently money well spent. That is how this kind of marketing works in the age of the interent!

And as we know, some DCT members make their living doing professional camera reviews and certain others like Panzer Platform (he's not been the only one) who claims he is only doing this as a "hobby" while allegedly "losing" money by not monetizing what he does, while at the same time he solicits and accepts thousands of dollars worth of free merchandise in exchange for promoting various products often in "sponsored videos" on YouTube and here on the forum as well. (I commend PP for revealing this but this means it is no longer a "hobby".) Members who do a lot of camera reviews should consider the possible consequences even if you don't spend 7 days a week, seemingly 24/7 at it like PP.

According to U.S. Tax law and IRS code, this comes under barter exchange rules for Payment-in-Kind income and so legally PP is self-employed and needs to file the appropriate 1099 forms and file a Schedule-C 1040 The income threshold for a pursuit being a "hobby" or not is 600 bucks, so anyone reviewing the odd free camera or two or three here and there is ok but above this amount you are breaking the law and are subject to fines and penalties if you don't file and pay taxes on the fair market value of the goods you receive.

Payment-in-Kind is when you exchange goods or services with a business instead being paid in cash, so receiving free cameras (goods) in exchange for reviewing/testing and promoting a camera or brand on the internet (services) is technically barter exchange income as far as the Internal Revenue Service is concerned. Also, many states impose sales tax, as well as income tax on these types of barter transactions.

So, tax considerations aside, this is all part of how the dash cam industry works now and is much more complex than manufacturers and retailers simply asking people to help them out with camera performance evaluation and reviews even if that is how they may present it. And who doesn't want to receive a free $200-$300 camera for a modest commitment of time and effort?

But i tell you if I show you the night time testing you will be sadly disappointed.

Gee, I don't know. Some of the real world night time testing we've seen posted on the forum has been enlightening and useful. I don't include PP's low light testing in his garage though partly because his methodology doesn't really reproduce real world conditions very well, especially with the source of lighting he uses. To me it's more like some kind of dog and pony show. When I first got into dash cams nighttime recording was 100% useless. Night time dash camera recording has come a LONG way in the last 13 years even if it is still not perfect.

Last edited:
I would agree that the dash camera manufacturers should deliver fully formed products that do not need to have enthusiasts perform as de-facto employees to test and evaluate dash cams for flaws and performance issue. You don't generally see this in the "real" camera industry for example, (think Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc.)

Nowadays, handing out free cameras for evaluation is a free-for-all and is done primarily for product and brand promotion even if it does serve a useful purpose sometimes.
So being a retailer of Viofo. I thought I was getting an A229 Pro to help with beta testing. When they started pre selling the products prior to me even receiving the beta testing. I was kinda shocked.

As a retailer I will not order in a product until it meets certain expectations. Being in car audio and 12 volt for over 25 years now. I have come to notice that we use to trust the manufacturer for every word they said. The last 15 years I have noticed QC(Quality Control) has gone down quite significantly.

The last 2 years I have adopted a test first before it is delivered to the customer. Some products do not make the cut. Also if I notice a higher then normal defect rate. That product is immediately shelved until the manufacturer can explain it or we no longer sell the product. Our customers are more valuable to us than any one brand.

I may not be part of your special threads you talk about but I have a lot of email networking with other testers so I am typically up to speed on what is going on regarding Viofo, Thinkware, Blackvue, and Vantrue to name a few brands. If something does not sit right with me I ship it off to someone to verify that I am not crazy.

Not sure why you have a problem with @Panzer Platform but I value his testing ideas. I may not agree with all his testing, as he does not agree with all my testing. But I do come to find that I have learned some things from him and I would hope he has learned some stuff from me in return.

I do appreciate recieving products to test and review. The difference between an influencer and me is most companies are expecting a purchase order in return for the free product. We also do not do affiliate links. But I have to say that is not always how it works sometimes those companies dont get the purchase order. But there products do get exposure to my audience. :)

Anyways now that I see how they operate I will expect that next time.

When I first got into dash cams night time recording was 100% useless. Night time dash camera recording has come a LONG way in the last 13 years even if it is still not perfect.
During this time, a lot of water has flowed under the bridge.
If you compare the night video from the DVR of those times and the night video from the Mini 2, then the difference can be seen with the naked eye.

So being a retailer of Viofo. I thought I was getting an A229 Pro to help with beta testing. When they started pre selling the products prior to me even receiving the beta testing. I was kinda shocked.

As a retailer I will not order in a product until it meets certain expectations. Being in car audio and 12 volt for over 25 years now. I have come to notice that we use to trust the manufacturer for every word they said. The last 15 years I have noticed QC(Quality Control) has gone down quite significantly.

The last 2 years I have adopted a test first before it is delivered to the customer. Some products do not make the cut. Also if I notice a higher then normal defect rate. That product is immediately shelved until the manufacturer can explain it or we no longer sell the product. Our customers are more valuable to us than any one brand.

I may not be part of your special threads you talk about but I have a lot of email networking with other testers so I am typically up to speed on what is going on regarding Viofo, Thinkware, Blackvue, and Vantrue to name a few brands. If something does not sit right with me I ship it off to someone to verify that I am not crazy.

Not sure why you have a problem with @Panzer Platform but I value his testing ideas. I may not agree with all his testing, as he does not agree with all my testing. But I do come to find that I have learned some things from him and I would hope he has learned some stuff from me in return.

I do appreciate recieving products to test and review. The difference between an influencer and me is most companies are expecting a purchase order in return for the free product. We also do not do affiliate links. But I have to say that is not always how it works sometimes those companies dont get the purchase order. But there products do get exposure to my audience. :)

Anyways now that I see how they operate I will expect that next time.

I think what you do is completely different because you are a retailer. It behooves you to know as much as possible about the products you are selling, so testing, evaluating cameras and promoting the cameras you sell makes perfect sense.

As for Panzer Platform, some of his testing is very useful (although perhaps a little OCD sometimes). Other times I find myself just scratching my head. In my post I was speaking only to the low light tests in his garage which I don't find useful or practical in real world conditions.

During this time, a lot of water has flowed under the bridge.
If you compare the night video from the DVR of those times and the night video from the Mini 2, then the difference can be seen with the naked eye.

Yes, the difference is remarkable since 2010. Back then you couldn't see more than a few meters of grainy footage in front of your car even under decent lighting and bright headlights, especially for me living in a rural area where I'm often driving where there are no streetlights..

I think when you have such a long time perspective on the evolution of the technology in our dash cams you tend to look a little sideways when people complain about today's camera performance but we all know it is still not as good as we'd like it to be. For me, I'm grateful for the improvements we've seen, even though they come slowly and I always look forward to what comes next. The Starvis 2 is a perfect example.

Last edited:
The last 15 years I have noticed QC(Quality Control) has gone down quite significantly.

BTW, I recall back in the day when I felt lucky if I got home and discovered that my dash cam didn't quit recording somewhere along on my journey and I was always compulsively checking the camera(s) while driving. Now I very, very rarely have any issues, so as far as dash cams are concerned I feel that QC has improved over the old generic Chinese cams which were the basically the only thing available here in North America back in 2010. Among the 5 cameras in my vehicle I have two A119 V3s that have been 100% reliable for almost 4 years now in a very challenging environment. I thought I would have replaced them by now but there's been little need as they do a great job. (although there are some compelling new models on the market now)

I recall trying similar indoor low-light tests recently, and couldn't think of a suitable moving object for repeatable results with just enough but not too much motion blur
Yes, it has to move quite fast to replicate a typical driving use, and at a consistent speed.
Metronomes do not move fast enough unless it is really dark, and that is not a realistic situation for driving, the camera may perform differently at more normal light levels.
Metronomes also do not move at a consistent speed, they are pendulums, so travel faster in the centre of their swing than at the ends, and travel slower over time if they are not powered.

My real-world testing also found very few parking locations without some form of street lighting. My test camera is better in very low light than any dashcam I've tested, but I struggled to find a real-world scenario where this was a practical benefit to the end user.
If I park at home overnight then I don't have street lighting, but I have the opposite problem, I live in an international dark skies park, so it is too dark for any dashcam to see anything, or any camera not to have motion blur.

Telephone box and post box from the end of my recent HDR video upload, under the stars:

1697490670164.png

Yes, the difference is remarkable since 2010. Back then you couldn't see more than a few meters of grainy footage in front of your car even under decent lighting and bright headlights,
Too bad this discussion is occurring today. Two weeks ago I repurposed a couple of external HDs that had dash cam footage going back to early 2014 that would make for perfect comparisons with newer cameras since I drive many of the same routes today as I did back then.

Back