A229 Pro Test & Review PP

BTW, I recall back in the day when I felt lucky if I got home and discovered that my dash cam didn't quit recording somewhere along on my journey and I was always compulsively checking the camera(s) while driving. Now I very, very rarely have any issues, so as far as dash cams are concerned I feel that QC has improved over the old generic Chinese cams which were the basically the only thing available here in North America back in 2010. Among the 5 cameras in my vehicle I have two A119 V3s that have been 100% reliable for almost 4 years now in a very challenging environment. I thought I would have replaced them by now but there's been little need as they do a great job. (although there are some compelling new models on the market now)
i was referring to electronics in general. Not dash cam category. I should have specified

Metronomes also do not move at a consistent speed, they are pendulums, so travel faster in the centre of their swing than at the ends, and travel slower over time if they are not powered.

I'm not so sure this is correct. You seem to be referring to pendulums that hang from a pivot point and swing below with the force of gravity so they travel faster at the equilibrium position. Mechanical metronomes used by musicians use two weights, one hidden inside the case at the bottom and another that slides up and down, thus controlling the speed. Most musicians who use modern mechanical metronomes use powered ones which run from a spring-wound clockwork escapement that gives them their speed and accuracy, unlike hanging pendulums that run on gravity alone.

I was recommending the standard powered metronomes used by most musicians. Some musicians do use electronic metronomes these days but as I understand many prefer mechanical ones because the pendulum provides a visual cue for tempo similar to what a conductor does with an orchestra.

Last edited:
i was referring to electronics in general. Not dash cam category. I should have specified

OK, thanks for the clarification. I think it depends on the product. I agree that some electronics have gone way down hill. For example, I purchased a modest priced name brand alarm clock about two years ago and when I got it home I discovered that it made an unpleasant electronic whine. It was replaced, but it died after a year. I bought a new one. Now the LEDs on the new one are fading and the alarm has gone so quiet as to be barely audible. On the other hand I own certain electronic devices that amaze me with their durability. One has to be discerning these days, I guess.

Too bad this discussion is occurring today. Two weeks ago I repurposed a couple of external HDs that had dash cam footage going back to early 2014 that would make for perfect comparisons with newer cameras since I drive many of the same routes today as I did back then.

I may have something but I'm not sure how old it is. I too did some purging not that long ago but I don't recall what I disposed of. I'll need to take a look when I get a little time. Stay tuned! This might be something for another thread though.

2014 @100 KPH using a suction mount that was a little loose!
Ambarella chip H264 10Mbs @ 1080 AAC audio.

1697534410785.png

GPS Mount Interesting Note
Since the Original A229 Duo’s GPS mount is not compatible with the A229 Pro & A229 Plus I removed the old mount, and replaced it with the upgraded one.
I noticed when I was pressing the mount to the windshield my hand was completing one, or more of the circuits of the exposed pins.
At first I was confused because it felt like I was getting a tingling
“SENSATION” at the same time two red & green piercing LED’s were focused right into my eyes.
So I kept touching it until I realized I was being shocked by a small electrical current because it was plugged into power.
When it comes time to perform my power consumption tests I wonder how many milliamps the GPS Mount draws when the camera is connected with a hardwire kit, and powered down by long pressing the power button on the camera.
I wonder if @rcg530 already measured this.

So I kept touching it until I realized I was being shocked by a small electrical current because it was plugged into power.
Always unplug things when installing!

You found the secret test mode - you can't see those LEDs when the camera is installed!

Hope they are disabled and not wasting power when the camera is installed? You had better check...

When it comes time to perform my power consumption tests I wonder how many milliamps the GPS Mount draws when the camera is connected with a hardwire kit, and powered down by long pressing the power button on the camera.
I wonder if @rcg530 already measured this.
Yes, it's part of my power consumption chart. Here's that section from the chart.

1697566846864.png

Audio Comparison - A229 Pro & A229 Plus & A229 Duo

Before I install the cameras in my car for the final audio comparison I performed a preliminary test with the cameras on my desk.
I had all three camera’s BUILT-IN microphones an equal distance from my mouth, and monitor speakers.
Can you guys hear any differences, or do they all sound identical in terms of audio volume level?

Audio Comparison - A229 Pro & A229 Plus & A229 Duo

Before I install the cameras in my car for the final audio comparison I performed a preliminary test with the cameras on my desk.
I had all three camera’s BUILT-IN microphones an equal distance from my mouth, and monitor speakers.
Can you guys hear any differences, or do they all sound identical in terms of audio volume level?

Sound identical to me.... tried with headphones even.

You could always extract the audio track of each, and look at the waveform in Audacity, or whatever audio editing program and compare if you need some raw data.

In Car Audio Comparison @donburi
A229 Pro
A229 Plus
A229 Duo
A139 Pro
Here’s my in car audio comparison.
The Original A229 Duo has the loudest, and clearest audio volume level.
The A229 Pro & A229 Plus are slightly quieter.
The A139 Pro is quieter than all.
I wonder how much the External Microphone will improve the Original A229 Duo & A139 Pro.

Here is an analysis of the audio by @rcg530
Shoutout to Robert for helping me with this comparison.

Screenshot By RCG530 .png

Last edited:
Night vision is simply not cutting it. I have night time video as well. Lots of it. Lots of different versions of the video as well. Everytime the 229 Pro has not kept up to A139 Pro.
Well, according to this pictures, this not quite true.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-21-01-50-26-31_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-21-01-50-26-31_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_2023-10-21-01-50-54-71_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-21-01-50-54-71_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_2023-10-21-01-51-14-05_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-21-01-51-14-05_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_2023-10-21-01-52-17-22_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-21-01-52-17-22_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 35
Well, according to this pictures, this not quite true.
No idea where your A139 Pro is mounted but I can light up the A229 Pro so bad with night time footage. I have moved the A229 Pro 3 different locations on windshield plus who know how many firmwares I have updated to now.

I am going to say this on record “The Vantrue N4 Pro has better night vision than A229 Pro” i got lots of footage to prove it.

I am a Viofo reseller so it’s a bold statement.

It is taking 5 seconds to adapt when entering a tunnel. The main problem is HDR. When you even look @Panzer Platform videos in his garage you can tell it is not working well.

But who knows. Like I said to Bill @viofo maybe this first run they sent us is not performing well.

I am waiting to hear back as I have sent them more raw video files.

No idea where your A139 Pro is mounted
That is not my video. I know for sure that the man behind that YouTube channel it also a member here, but I don't know the nickname to quote him.

That is not my video. I know for sure that the man behind that YouTube channel it also a member here, but I don't know the nickname to quote him.
I would like to hope it was a bad run early on a few of us testers got.

But we do not know. And if i put out a review. My A139 Pro performs better at night then N4 pro and a229 pro.

So who knows….

In Car Audio Comparison @donburi
A229 Pro
A229 Plus
A229 Duo
A139 Pro
Here’s my in car audio comparison.
The Original A229 Duo has the loudest, and clearest audio volume level.
The A229 Pro & A229 Plus are slightly quieter.
The A139 Pro is quieter than all.
I wonder how much the External Microphone will improve the Original A229 Duo & A139 Pro.

Here is an analysis of the audio by @rcg530
Shoutout to Robert for helping me with this comparison.

View attachment 68576

Apart from A139 Pro they're all performing quite well, and not bouncing off the limiter that much which is the most important thing. No distortion either.

Apart from A139 Pro they're all performing quite well
The A139 Pro with EXTERNAL microphone will outperform all three A229's BUILT-IN microphone.
But I didn't use the External mic on the A139 Pro in this comparison because it wouldn't be fair.

Last edited:
The A139 Pro with EXTERNAL microphone will outperform all three A229's BUILT-IN microphone.
But I didn't use the External mic on the A139 Pro is this comparison because it wouldn't be fair.
Obviously it would but honestly it's not a hard ask to get a stereo mic put in a dashcam, surely. The focus isn't audio so of course has been overlooked for all these years. We can put them in phones yet not dash cams.

it's not a hard ask to get a stereo mic put in a dashcam
Eat your heart out, Mister. Lol
I’ve been using this action cam since 2015.
All my YouTube videos are filmed with it.
It just won’t die.

Attachments

• Have. lol .jpg
    Have. lol .jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Never .jpg
    Never .jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 12
  • You Can .jpg
    You Can .jpg
    333 KB · Views: 13
Back