A229 Pro Test & Review PP

Hey Panzer do you know any alternative (longer like 10 ft) interior IR camera cables? It looks like a USB C to aux cable (right angle) with 3 lines (probably video capability in this context). I want a interior camera view showing the steering wheel view so I can connect it when needed, and just use two channel day to day. If you have an amazon link that would be amazing. I can't find it on the Viofo website.

Also, I was wondering the best way to connect the stranded wire to the fuse tap. In the hardwire hk4 kit it says to use needle nose pliers but the metal is too hard to bend. I would prefer something like
at 10:01

20231118_193300.jpg

Last edited:
do you know any alternative (longer like 10 ft) interior IR camera cables?

Screenshot 2023-11-18 6.18.22 PM.png
I was wondering the best way to connect the stranded wire to the fuse tap.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07K7H7BXMhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/B07K7H18SR
Screenshot 2023-11-18 6.24.36 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-18 6.25.18 PM.png

View attachment 69258

View attachment 69259
View attachment 69260
Thank you, Panzer! I have Wagos for both versions you linked so I guess I can just use those tomorrow! Is the latest version 1.0_231009 (what my one from Amazon has). Viofo website shows 1.0_230928 as latest.

View attachment 69258

View attachment 69259
View attachment 69260

I’ve used the single version of those type of connectors for my fuse tap on my A119 V3 and it’s worked great. I’ve just used the same thing for my A229 Pro which I installed today, so I’m hoping that it works just as well

Note to everyone:
The static windshield stickers are not strong enough to hold this heavy front camera. Just attach the dashcam directly onto your front windshield or front windshield tint. Just tried with the included static windshield sticker and it fell off even after holding it on for like 30 seconds. Did same thing with a Sticker Shield and it fell off as well. Talked to Viofo chat support via WhatsApp and they said there are no front camera 3M VHB adhesive stickers in the USA atm (only in China warehouse). So just be careful or you may not be able to use your new dashcam for a few weeks like me :(

...there are no front camera 3M VHB adhesive stickers in the USA atm...
I've been using this for a long time now so no need to wait for the 'official' stickers. Cut what you need and trim to fit. It's also available at Lowe's, Home Depot, and many hardware stores.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0BQYPKN1K

Note to everyone:
The static windshield stickers are not strong enough to hold this heavy front camera. Just attach the dashcam directly onto your front windshield or front windshield tint. Just tried with the included static windshield sticker and it fell off even after holding it on for like 30 seconds. Did same thing with a Sticker Shield and it fell off as well. Talked to Viofo chat support via WhatsApp and they said there are no front camera 3M VHB adhesive stickers in the USA atm (only in China warehouse). So just be careful or you may not be able to use your new dashcam for a few weeks like me :(
Are you writing about these stickers?
I have had A229 Pro and A229Plus hanging on them for 8 weeks now and nothing has fallen anywhere.

The static windshield stickers are not strong enough to hold this heavy front camera.
I disagree.
I’ve been re-using the same static sticker for the past two years.
I’ve removed it, and re-applied several times with various dash cams.
Granted none were heavy as the A229 Pro, but it’s possible something else is at play with your malfunction.
Next time please consider starting your own thread for issues like these.

It’s been 69 days since the A229 Pro was released to the public, (9/15/23).
I’m pleased to report I think we have an “acceptable” public firmware;
Front: 1123
Rear: 1116
What is my definition of “acceptable”?
If a consumer purchases an A229 Pro the camera will perform as intended, and meets its advertised claims.
The consumer will be getting their money’s worth, and I have no problem recommending the camera.

My main criticism with all previous firmware versions was poor night time HDR performance.
Night time HDR performance is now at an acceptable level, and I’m willing to burn gasoline in my car that gets 9 MPG (city) to gather “DRIVING” test footage.
Before I head out I wanted to quickly confirm & verify low light HDR performance in my garage.

Cameras on the test rig;
A229 Pro 2-CH Rear configuration to maintain the front camera’s 57Mbps Bitrate.
A139 Pro 1-CH configuration to maintain the camera’s 57Mbps Bitrate.
A229 Plus 2-CH Interior configuration.
A119 Mini 2
Keep in mind the A229 Pro & A229 Plus Rear & Interior cameras are identical, and provide identical image quality.
Also keep in mind this silly test is NOT the final judge of image quality.
The final evaluation will come when the cameras are installed in a moving car filming other moving objects.

After reviewing this preliminary test footage the A229 Pro Front camera is much improved over A139 Pro in overall low light image quality.
Low light sensitivity is much improved providing a brighter image, with much less noise. You can really see the improvement in the video.
However, HDR performance of objects under direct illumination are slightly lower than the A139 Pro (about 90%).

The A229 Pro Rear camera HDR performance is much improved, and is on par with the A139 Pro, maybe even slightly better.
The A119 Mini 2 is still king of night time HDR performance when objects are under direct illumination, no camera can match its magical resolving power.
As an interesting side note check out how well the HDR works on the A229 Pro & A229 Plus Interior camera.
You can see in the video it takes a long time for it to transition, but once it adjusts it works great.
Stay tuned for actual “DRIVING” test footage, I plan to head out when the sun goes down.

1.) A139 Pro 1-CH .png
2.) A229 Pro Front .png
3.) A229 Pro Rear .png
4.) A119 Mini 2 .png
5.) A229 Plus Interior .png
6.) A229 Plus Front .png

Here’s the videos the screenshots were taken from;

The A229 Pro is on Amazon US black Friday sale for $299.
Here’s a 5% ($19.50) off promo code (Exp. 1/7/24): PANZER229PRO
There are 3 additional promotions for 20% - 25% off Viofo SD Cards, and Hardwire Kit.
And yes, you want the 3-CH version.

Amazon .png

Attachments

• Firmware .png
    Firmware .png
    97.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Please forgive my tardiness, I was unavailable for my scheduled test drive to gather “DRIVING” test footage earlier this evening.
That’s been delayed by 24 hours.
I also forgot to confirm & verify my indoor HDR comparison with an outdoor HDR comparison.
@safedrivesolutions @rcg530 @Vortex Radar @viofo @VIOFO-Support
Well, it looks like I might be having crow sandwiches along with my Thanksgiving leftovers.
I am less than enchanted with the HDR performance of the A229 Pro Front compared to the other cameras.
I know what you’re going to say Bill;
“Stop filming stationary scenes, mount the cameras in your car, and go for a drive”.
I will, I will, this is more or less to satisfy my own curiosity.

Cameras on the test rig;
A229 Pro 2-CH Rear configuration to maintain the front camera’s 57Mbps Bitrate.
A139 Pro 1-CH configuration to maintain the camera’s 57Mbps Bitrate.
A229 Plus 2-CH Interior configuration.
A119 Mini 2
Keep in mind the A229 Pro & A229 Plus Rear & Interior cameras are identical, and provide identical image quality.
Also keep in mind this comparison is NOT the final judge of image quality.
The final evaluation will come when the cameras are installed in a moving car filming other moving objects.

Firmware;
A229 Pro Front: 1123
A229 Pro Rear: 1116
A229 Plus Front: 1117
A139 Pro: 0629
A119 Mini 2: 0912
No CPL Filters
All Bitrates Max

After reviewing this comparison footage the A229 Pro Front appears to be overexposing the individual digits on the illuminated price sign.
I use this sign for comparison testing because the digits are made up of intensely bright individual LED’s.
I’m also seeing a streaking artifact extending upward from the sign.
Everything else in frame other than the price sign is bright, and beautifully resolved compared to the A139 Pro.
However, it appears this brightness is coming at a cost of overexposing the price sign, (is this correct?).
Can you guys read the prices?
If so, on which camera?

Comparing the front cameras of the A229 Pro & A229 Plus the license plate on my car is more legible with the A229 Plus.
This is due to the much narrower FOV of the A229 Plus.
The only camera that can “read” the license plate is the A119 Mini 2.
Can you read it?

Low, and behold what the heck is going on with the A229 Pro & A229 Plus “low” resolution Interior camera?
That HDR is working great, and has no problem resolving the digits of the price sign.
However the 1080p “low” resolution in unable to resolve my license plate.
And yes, I have the IR LED’s set to OFF.
The 1123 firmware changed the colors significantly.
Here’s what the colors looked like with the previous 0925 firmware, (same sign);

Interesting side note the current moon phase was 96% Waxing Gibbous so this scene is as bright as it can get during night time.
I unintentionally captured the moon, (next to the closest lamp post).

1.) A139 Pro 1-CH .png
2.) A229 Pro Front .png
3.) A229 Pro Rear .png
4.) A119 Mini 2 .png
5.) A229 Plus Interior .png
6.) A229 Plus Front .png

Here’s the videos the screenshots were taken from;

Attachments

• Moon Phase 96% Waxing Gibbous .jpg
    Moon Phase 96% Waxing Gibbous .jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 17
Here’s my first night time “DRIVING” test footage.
I filmed this just a few hours ago, and I’m reviewing the footage now to pull out some screenshots for comparison.
This is my usual test loop I’ve used for every dash cam I’ve tested since 2019.
I upload all the test footage to my second YouTube channel, and categorize them into playlists so they can be easily found, and compared with new dash cams.
Shout out to @ozguy for requesting GNR just in time for the holidays, it’s a jungle out there.

Cameras & Firmware;
A229 Pro: 1123
A229 Plus: 1117
No CPL Filters
All Bitrates Max

License plate, and illuminated McDonald’s & Taco Bell sign best to worst;
1.) A119 Mini 2
2.) A229 Plus
3.) A229 Pro
4.) A139 Pro
It looks like the narrow FOV’s of the A119 Mini 2 & A229 Plus are more advantageous than the 4K resolution of the A229 Pro & A139 Pro.
What if the A229 Pro had a narrow FOV lens just like the 2K cameras?
I bet that would be awesome.

Subaru Brake Lights:
I’m seeing those vertical artifacts from the A229 Pro again.
I’ve never seen those before on any camera.
The A119 Mini 2 & A229 Plus have good HDR performance.
The A139 Pro doesn’t cope too well with the brake lights.
I just realized I screwed up the 50/50 road & sky lens alignment, and all the camera don’t match.
I hope @Mtz doesn’t see this. lol

1.) A139 Pro 1-CH .png
2.) A229 Pro Front .png
3.) A119 Mini 2 .png
4.) A229 Plus Front .png

Here’s the videos;

Shout out to @ozguy for requesting GNR just in time for the holidays, it’s a jungle out there.
Yeah...

Bird Rocking Out GIF

Here’s my first night time “DRIVING” test footage.
I filmed this just a few hours ago, and I’m reviewing the footage now to pull out some screenshots for comparison.
This is my usual test loop I’ve used for every dash cam I’ve tested since 2019.
I upload all the test footage to my second YouTube channel, and categorize them into playlists so they can be easily found, and compared with new dash cams.

Cameras & Firmware;
A229 Pro: 1123
A229 Plus: 1117
No CPL Filters
All Bitrates Max

License plate, and illuminated McDonald’s & Taco Bell sign best to worst;
1.) A119 Mini 2
2.) A229 Plus
3.) A229 Pro
4.) A139 Pro
It looks like the narrow FOV’s of the A119 Mini 2 & A229 Plus are more advantageous than the 4K resolution of the A229 Pro & A139 Pro.
What if the A229 Pro had a narrow FOV lens just like the 2K cameras?
I bet that would be awesome.

Subaru Brake Lights:
I’m seeing those vertical artifacts from the A229 Pro again.
I’ve never seen those before on any camera.
The A119 Mini 2 & A229 Plus have good HDR performance.
The A139 Pro doesn’t cope too well with the brake lights.
I just realized I screwed up the 50/50 road & sky lens alignment, and all the camera don’t match.
I hope @Mtz doesn’t see this. lol

View attachment 69397
View attachment 69398
View attachment 69399
View attachment 69400

Here’s the videos;
Big thanks to @Panzer Platform for these videos and taking the time to do it.
I am really impressed with the sound quality of the A139...wow.
Obviously, the newer cams vid quality is better, judging by the still pics, but still the A139 almost keeps up with them.

but still the A139 almost keeps up with them.
Yes.
No.
It’s complicated. lol
The A139 Pro’s night time HDR performance is functioning at 100%.
The A229 Pro is only functioning at 85% - 90%, and needs more HDR tuning.
The A229 Pro fixed the low light exposure flicker that the A139 Pro currently has.
And of course the A229 Pro is overall brighter in outer areas of the frame not under direct illumination compared to the A139 Pro.
But I think it’s having a negative effect on the HDR performance when objects are under direct illumination, (headlights).

Back