A229 Pro Test & Review PP

...But really, don't bother, he's a hopeless case. I say this because I started a conversation with Panzer 5 months ago where I sent him some suggestions in a PM about how to get a good one inexpensively titled, "Get yourself a proper bleeping computer fer chissakes :)", but it was a no go.:(
I didn't realize he was handicapped by a 'limited toolbox'. Given that his work is even more commendable. :D

LumaFudion and DaVinci Resolve too, used the latter for a while on my iPad pro M1 - very decent for what it is.

Yes, there a quite a few really good video apps for iPad. The newer Apple Silicone chipsets really kick ass and allow you to process video in a way you previously couldn't even consider.

I didn't realize he was handicapped by a 'limited toolbox'. Given that his work is even more commendable. :D

Well, obviously it's not like PP doesn't have a computer but he could indeed use a more capable one, but I guess it's his choice.

BTW, the advice I gave PP was to check out an outfit called BackMarket. They sell refurbished computers, phones and other devices. I was very skeptical but I went ahead and purchased a refurbished unlocked iPhone 12 for hundreds of dollars less than they were selling at the Apple store at the time plus free shipping. I couldn't believe what showed up. The phone was in absolute mint condition and even included an AppleCare subscription. The phone was listed as not coming with a charger but it came with a brand new Amazon Basics charger and a brand new very nice quality Anker lightning cable anyway. The only indication that it was a used phone was a slightly used battery with a 95% charge. The phone came with a 12 month warranty or a full refund within 30 days. I've been thrilled with the purchase and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Anyway, anyone looking for a really good deal on a desktop or laptop computer (or phone) wouldn't go wrong checking them out.

@DT MI
@Nigel
@Augie

Would you guys stop making fun of me for not having a computer. lol
And don’t tell Viofo I don’t have a computer either, they might stop sending me test samples.
I’m trying to piece together my HDR comparison post, but every time I come in here I have to take a drink to calm my nerves.
Now I need a nap from the drinks.
Btw, all I have is a $150 Chromebook, and a $150 iPhone SE 2020 for "computing" all my dash cam testing, and running my YouTube Channel.

HDR COMPARISON
This stationary HDR test is NOT the final judge of image quality.
Installing the dash cams in a moving car trying to resolve moving objects at speed is needed, and still requires independent peer review to confirm & verify.
I won’t be gathering “driving” test footage until we get an “acceptable” firmware fixing certain issues.

I’ve been testing / using the A139 Pro since November 2022, (11 months).
I’ve been testing / using the A119 Mini 2 since May 2023, (5 months).
The A139 Pro has the best overall DAYTIME image quality of any dash cam currently on the market.
The A119 Mini 2 has the best overall NIGHT TIME & LOW LIGHT image quality of any dash cam currently on the market.
If Viofo could somehow combine the A139 Pro, and A119 Mini 2 they would have the best image quality dash cam on the market DAYTIME & NIGHT TIME bar none.
The A229 Pro has the potential to be that camera, but it’s not quite there yet.
It has the hardware, but the software specifically the HDR tuning needs to be perfected to the same level of polish as the A119 Mini 2.

On with the games.
For this HDR comparison I place the camera test rig on top of my car 5ft high in the center of my 20ft x 20ft two car garage.
The test starts with a single light source illuminating the garage.
I have a Streamlight Stinger LED flashlight hanging from the ceiling with a diffuser 5ft behind the test rig in an attempt to evenly distribute the beam pattern.
The flashlight has 3 power modes HIGH/MED/LOW.
I use the LOW setting rated at 100 lumen for this test.
I let the cameras adjust / stabilize to the very dim conditions for approximately 10 seconds.
I turn on a second flashlight with an extremely tight focused beam pattern to maximize the intense difference between the darkest, and brightest part of the image.
The second flashlight is a MAGLITE ML300L.
I use the HIGH setting rated at 625 lumen for this test.
I achieved the tightly focused beam pattern by constructing a telescopic shroud from USPS Assembly Grade Cardboard, (see attached photo).

Cameras on the rig;
A229 Pro 3-CH ..(IMX678) + (IMX675) + (IMX307)
A229 Plus 3-CH (IMX675) + (IMX675) + (IMX307)
A139 Pro 1-CH ..(IMX678)
A119 Mini 2 ……(IMX675)

Camera Settings;
Bitrate: …..Maximum
HDR: ……..On
IR LEDs: …Off
CPL Filter: Off

Camera Firmware;
A229 Pro Front: ..V1.0 0925
A229 Pro Rear: …V1.0 0901
A229 Plus Front: .V1.0 0922
A229 Plus Rear: ..V1.0 0901
A139 Pro: ………..V1.1 0629
A119 Mini 2: ……..V1.0 0912

After watching the recorded footage, and comparing screenshots side by side, 5 things stand out at me.
1.) The A229 Pro, and A139 Pro have similar HDR performance resolving the license plate.
Take note of the difference in size / shape / density of the beam pattern.
It’s almost like the cameras achieving the same goal but going about it in different ways.
Is this the difference in processors, (A229 Pro 96529 & A139 Pro 96687)?
Or a difference in firmware programming?
1a.) Everything not under direct illumination appears sharp, and focused on the A229 Pro, where as the A139 Pro looks blurry, an unfocused.
Take note of the 5 misspelled “VIOFO” paper signs.
Can you identify how each one is misspelled?
2.) The A229 Plus has a much brighter overall image than the A229 Pro.
However, the HDR performance is ineffective, and unacceptable trying to resolve the license plate.
This is a major malfunction that requires corrective action.
3.) The A229 Pro & A119 Mini 2 have similar brightness, and clarity of the overall image.
However, the A229 Pro is no match for the A119 Mini 2’s HDR performance at resolving the license plate.
Take note “California” in red lettering is missing from the A229 Pro, among the overexposure.
4.) The Rear cameras of the A229 Pro & A229 Plus have good overall brightness of the image.
However the HDR performance trying to resolve the license plate is absolutely non-functional.
5.) The Interior cameras of the A229 Pro & A229 Plus have a dark overall appearance of the image.
However, the HDR performance resolving the license plate is far superior than the Front & Rear cameras of the A229 Pro & A229 Plus.
How does the “lowly” STARVIS 1 (IMX307) have better HDR performance than the STARVIS 2 (IMX678) & (IMX675) in the A229 Pro & A229 Plus?
Take note in the video footage when I turn on the flashlight.
It takes the Interior camera 3 seconds to adjust / react to the change in lighting conditions, and choose / select the appropriate exposure.
This is unacceptable, because all other Viofo HDR cameras accomplish this task in 1 second.
This requires corrective action.

1.) A229 Pro Front - HDR Test .png
2.) A139 Pro - HDR Test .png
3.) A229 Plus Front - HDR Test .png
4.) A119 Mini 2 - HDR Test .png
5.) A229 Pro Rear - HDR Test .png
6.) A229 Plus Rear - HDR Test .png
7.) A229 Pro Interior - HDR Test .png
8.) A229 Plus Interior - HDR Test .png

Here is the test footage I took the screenshots from.

Attachments

• Telescopic Shroud .jpg
    Telescopic Shroud .jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Garage .png
    Garage .png
    3.7 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
@Panzer Platform

The reason for the high brightness level of rear cameras when reading license plates may be that the rear windows of many vehicles today come darkened from the factory or because dark-colored tinted is pasted on later. Additionally, since there is no backlight, the brightness level is high.

The images are quite good. Since I can't do it myself, I can share an idea with you. maybe you want to try..;
In a similar license plate test, if you have another flashlight or your vehicle's lights are on, you can also test the performance of the cameras when exposed to the light coming from the front by placing your test plate in front of your vehicle.
It should be pretty easy for you to test this with your current setup.

Thanks for what I've seen so far. If you want to try the idea I shared, good luck.

In a similar license plate test, if you have another flashlight or your vehicle's lights are on, you can also test the performance of the cameras when exposed to the light coming from the front by placing your test plate in front of your vehicle.
Do you mean something like this?
Of course I will do it at night.

HDR COMPARISON
Installing the dash cams in a moving car trying to resolve moving objects at speed is needed, and still requires independent peer review to confirm & verify.
I won’t be gathering “driving” test footage until we get an “acceptable” firmware fixing certain issues.

I’ve been testing / using the A139 Pro since November 2022, (11 months).
I’ve been testing / using the A119 Mini 2 since May 2023, (5 months).
The A139 Pro has the best overall DAYTIME image quality of any dash cam currently on the market.
The A119 Mini 2 has the best overall NIGHT TIME & LOW LIGHT image quality of any dash cam currently on the market.
If Viofo could somehow combine the A139 Pro, and A119 Mini 2 they would have the best image quality dash cam on the market DAYTIME & NIGHT TIME bar none.
The A229 Pro has the potential to be that camera, but it’s not quite there yet.
It has the hardware, but the software specifically the HDR tuning needs to be perfected to the same level of polish as the A119 Mini 2.

On with the games.
For this HDR comparison I place the camera test rig on top of my car 5ft high in the center of my 20ft x 20ft two car garage.
The test starts with a single light source illuminating the garage.
I have a Streamlight Stinger LED flashlight hanging from the ceiling with a diffuser 5ft behind the test rig in an attempt to evenly distribute the beam pattern.
I use the LOW setting rated at 100 lumen for this test.
I let the cameras adjust / stabilize to the very dim conditions for approximately 10 seconds.
I turn on a second flashlight with an extremely tight focused beam pattern to maximize the intense difference between the darkest, and brightest part of the image.
The second flashlight is a MAGLITE ML300L.
I use the HIGH setting rated at 625 lumen for this test.
I achieved the tightly focused beam pattern by constructing a telescopic shroud from USPS Assembly Grade Cardboard, (see attached photo).

Cameras on the rig;
A139 Pro 1-CH ..(IMX678)
A119 Mini 2 ……(IMX675)

Camera Settings;

Camera Firmware;

After watching the recorded footage, and comparing screenshots side by side, 5 things stand out at me.
1.) The A229 Pro, and A139 Pro have similar HDR performance resolving the license plate.
Take note of the difference in size / shape / density of the beam pattern.
It’s almost like the cameras achieving the same goal but going about it in different ways.
Is this the difference in processors, (A229 Pro 96529 & A139 Pro 96687)?
Or a difference in firmware programming?
1a.) Everything not under direct illumination appears sharp, and focused on the A229 Pro, where as the A139 Pro looks blurry, an unfocused.
Take note of the 5 misspelled “VIOFO” paper signs.
Can you identify how each one is misspelled?
2.) The A229 Plus has a much brighter overall image than the A229 Pro.
However, the HDR performance is ineffective, and unacceptable trying to resolve the license plate.
3.) The A229 Pro & A119 Mini 2 have similar brightness, and clarity of the overall image.
However, the A229 Pro is no match for the A119 Mini 2’s HDR performance at resolving the license plate.
Take note “California” in red lettering is missing from the A229 Pro, among the overexposure.
4.) The Rear cameras of the A229 Pro & A229 Plus have good overall brightness of the image.
However the HDR performance trying to resolve the license plate is absolutely non-functional.
5.) The Interior cameras of the A229 Pro & A229 Plus have a dark overall appearance of the image.
However, the HDR performance resolving the license plate is far superior than the Front & Rear cameras of the A229 Pro & A229 Plus.
How does the “lowly” STARVIS 1 (IMX307) have better HDR performance than the STARVIS 2 (IMX678) & (IMX675) in the A229 Pro & A229 Plus?
Take note in the video footage when I turn on the flashlight.
It takes the Interior camera 3 seconds to adjust / react to the change in lighting conditions, and choose / select the appropriate exposure.
This is unacceptable, because all other Viofo HDR cameras accomplish this task in 1 second.
This requires corrective action.

View attachment 68045
View attachment 68046
View attachment 68047
View attachment 68048
View attachment 68049
View attachment 68050
View attachment 68056
View attachment 68057

Wow damning results so far :/

Do you mean something like this?
Of course I will do it at night.

Yes it is similar to this. (Another scenario is whether the front cameras can read the license plate through the oncoming light when the lights of two vehicles coming towards each other are on at night. This may also be a test that can be done for your installation.)
The result can give you, me and those who are interested an idea and create a visual feast.

Last edited:
Do you think this would work?
See attached photos.
At the same time, light must come from the camera side. In other words, you can think of two vehicles coming towards each other and the lights of both vehicles are on. (Maybe the situation I mentioned may not occur exactly because your license plate does not have a reflector. As you know, in some countries there are reflectors on the license plates. So it's like traffic signs. Therefore variability may still occur. I may have suggested some tasks that will tire you. Sorry. Only various combinations can bring you pleasure.)

Last edited:
A229 Pro Front cam show more dark and less colors picture than others. Hmm... is this price for 4K resolution?
That's what the EV +- setting and HDR option is for. Focus on the legibility of the car license plates, not the beauty of the footage

A229 Pro: 4K + 2K + 1080p Firmware V1.0 0926
A229 Plus: 2K + 2K + 1080p Firmware V1.0 0922

Normal Recording Mode
631mA @ 12.60V = 7.95 Watts (A229 Pro)
489mA @ 12.60V = 6.16 Watts (A229 Plus)

Low Bitrate Parking Mode
496mA @ 12.60V = 6.25 Watts (A229 Pro)
453mA @ 12.60V = 5.71 Watts (A229 Plus)

Two things stand out at me.
1.) In Normal Recording Mode the A229 Pro uses considerably more power than the A229 Plus.
2.) The A229 Plus Low Bitrate Parking Mode is no where near efficient as the A229 Pro.
Does the A229 Pro drop from 4K to 1440p for low bitrate parking mode, similar to the A139 Pro? That could explain the big reduction in power consumption.

Does the A229 Pro drop from 4K to 1440p for low bitrate parking mode, similar to the A139 Pro? That could explain the big reduction in power consumption.
To answer my own question, I checked this post by @rcg530 which confirms that the A229 Pro does change the front camera resolution from 4K to 1440p30 when entering parking mode.

To answer my own question, I checked this post by @rcg530 which confirms that the A229 Pro does change the front camera resolution from 4K to 1440p30 when entering parking mode.
Thank you, come again.
-Apu

HDR COMPARISON - CHEVRON SIGN
I won’t be gathering “driving” test footage until we get an “acceptable” public firmware fixing certain issues.
I’ve found this sign to be helpful in gathering baseline HDR performance due to the individual digits are made up of intensely bright LED lights.
Also the background, and surrounding area is very dark.

Cameras on the rig;
A139 Pro 1-CH ..(IMX678)
A119 Mini 2 ……(IMX675)

Camera Settings;

Camera Firmware;

1.) The A229 Pro Front & A139 Pro 1-CH have similar HDR performance resolving the digits of the price sign.
However, take notice of the bush & tree.
This is the improvement in low light sensitivity of the A229 Pro I’ve been talking about.
Once the A229 Pro’s HDR has been fined tuned, and we get an “acceptable” public firmware it should beat the A139 Pro’s image quality in every aspect.
2.) The A229 Plus HDR performance trying to resolve the individual digits on the price sign is ineffective, and unacceptable.
However, take notice of the bush & tree.
The A229 Plus has even better low light sensitivity than the A229 Pro.
If we can get the HDR fine tuned, and keep some of this “brightness” the A229 Pro will be t*ts.
Another interesting note: The narrower FOV of the A229 Plus makes the license plates in the image appear larger, and easier to read, (more on this later in the next post).
3.) The A229 Pro Front is no match for the mighty Mini 2.
Not in HDR performance resolving digits on the sign, or in low light sensitivity, and overall brightness of the image especially as shown in the fine detail of the bush & tree, and even the weeds behind the chain link fence.
4.) The A229 Pro & A229 Plus Rear camera’s HDR performance trying to resolve the digits on the sign is ineffective, and unacceptable.
However, the overall brightness / exposure looks good.
5.) The A229 Pro & A229 Plus Interior camera’s have far superior HDR performance resolving the digits of the sign over the Front & Rear cameras.
It’s been explained to me by Alex (Viofo) I should not compare the Interior camera with the Front & Rear because the Interior has been designed / engineered with a focal length of 1 meter appropriate for passenger compartments.
I agree, but at the same time I’m amazed how well the HDR works.
I’ll be comparing the Interior camera with the A139 Pro’s Interior camera in a future post.
Q: Why do we need HDR on the Interior camera anyways?
A: I’ve performed preliminary testing comparing the Interior camera with the Interior camera of the A139 Pro, and the HDR does an excellent job when my dome light is illuminated.
I can see how this will be beneficial for professional ride share applications because they have regular dome light illumination from passenger ingress / egress.
Another interesting note: Take notice of the license plates in the image, the “low” 1080p resolution really shows compared to 4K & 2K.
I really wish Viofo would have used the (IMX335) for the Interior camera or better yet another (IMX675).

1.) A229 Pro Front .png
2.) A139 Pro 1-CH .png
3.) A229 Plus Front .png
4.) A119 Mini 2 .png
5.) A229 Pro Rear .png
6.) A229 Plus Rear .png
7.) A229 Pro Interior .png
8.) A229 Plus Interior .png

A229 Pro Front;
A139 Pro;
A229 Plus Front;
A119 Mini 2;
A229 Pro Rear;
A229 Plus Rear;
A229 Pro Interior;
A229 Plus Interior;

Last edited:
Cameras on the rig;
A139 Pro 1-CH ..(IMX678)
A119 Mini 2 ……(IMX675)

Camera Settings;

The A229 Pro & A229 Plus Rear camera’s HDR performance trying to resolve the digits on the sign is ineffective, and unacceptable.

The A229 Pro and A229 Plus rear cameras have IMX675 Starvis 2 sensors. These have a wide dynamic range without HDR.

Is HDR enabled on the rear cameras?

Last edited:
1.) The A229 Pro Front & A139 Pro 1-CH have similar HDR performance resolving the digits of the price sign.
2.) The A229 Plus HDR performance trying to resolve the individual digits on the price sign is ineffective, and unacceptable.
3.) The A229 Pro Front is no match for the mighty Mini 2.

I think you're being a bit harsh on the A229 Plus

Back