A229 Pro Test & Review PP

I tried to “edit” all 7 POV’s into one video.
Since I don’t have a computer, or editing software I downloaded the 7 clips to my iPhone SE 2020, and “glued” the clips together with iMovie.
1.) Front: A229 Pro Front / Main
2.) Rear: A229 Pro Front / Main
3.) Driver Side Exterior: A229 Pro Rear
4.) Passenger Side Exterior: A229 Plus Rear
5.) Driver Side IR Interior: A229 Pro IR Interior
6.) Passenger Side IR Interior: A229 Plus IR Interior
7.) Backseat IR Interior: A229 Pro IR Interior

Nice!
It does beat a Google Streetview roof camera turret, much more stealthy. :)
No 911 calls from concerned citizens, about a man looking like Ruprecht the Farmhand driving around in their neighborhood? :ROFLMAO:

Daytime 7 Channel POV's

1.) Front: A229 Pro Front / Main
2.) Rear: A229 Pro Front / Main
3.) Driver Side Exterior: A229 Pro Rear
4.) Passenger Side Exterior: A229 Plus Rear
5.) Driver Side IR Interior: A229 Pro IR Interior
6.) Passenger Side IR Interior: A229 Plus IR Interior
7.) Backseat IR Interior: A229 Pro IR Interior

Last edited:
I tested it here, it works.

I tested it here, it works.

Thank you very much !

@viofo @VIOFO-Support
Good News: iOS APP has been updated to 4.2.1
Bad News: OTA Updates still non functional
I want my MTV.

Attachments

• V1.2_240227 .png
    V1.2_240227 .png
    18.7 KB · Views: 17
  • OTA Updates Non Functional .png
    OTA Updates Non Functional .png
    983.4 KB · Views: 16
  • iOS APP Version 4.1.2 iPhone SE 2020 .png
    iOS APP Version 4.1.2 iPhone SE 2020 .png
    122.7 KB · Views: 16
I am about to buy an A229 either Pro or Plus. I wonder if the huge heatsink on the Pro is because of A229 Plus overheating or is just because of the 4k electronics on the Pro heats up more than the 2k Plus

I am about to buy an A229 either Pro or Plus. I wonder if the huge heatsink on the Pro is because of A229 Plus overheating or is just because of the 4k electronics on the Pro heats up more than the 2k Plus
The 4K has twice the pixels, twice the detail, twice the data, twice the heat, so needs twice the heatsink!

That is not quite accurate, but there is more heat generated in the Pro, there is twice the detail in the front image, and we are not hearing of many problems because of it. The Pro was designed with the heatsink, it wasn't added because of overheating.

If you want to use it for parking mode in full sunlight in a closed car in the middle of summer, the Plus version may be a better choice, but if you are not using parking mode often, go for the Pro.

Hello,
The A229 Pro & A229 Plus use the same heat sink;

In 3-CH configuration in Normal Recording Mode the A229 Pro operates 28℉ (16℃) hotter than the A229 Plus.

Does this answer your question, or concern?
-Chuck

I think it is probably the parking mode temperature difference that is the important one, do you have that figure?

Once the aircon is on, the normal recording temperature should be within acceptable range fairly soon.

Hello,
The A229 Pro & A229 Plus use the same heat sink;

In 3-CH configuration in Normal Recording Mode the A229 Pro operates 28℉ (16℃) hotter than the A229 Plus.

-Chuck
Ah I apologize, indeed the one without heatsink is the plain A229.
I wanted to go for the 4k in order to maximize the possibility of reading a license plate in case of bad light conditions, but 74℃ with just 26 °C ambient temp it's a lot. The car will be driven in places where during the summer the ambient temp can reach up to 38 °C (without considering direct sun exposure). So I am afraid it could overheat

I think it is probably the parking mode temperature difference that is the important one
Correct.
Now that we’re heading into summer maybe I should measure the heat signature difference between the A229 Pro & A229 Plus 3-CH configuration in Low Bitrate PARKING MODE.
Previously I measured the difference in NORMAL RECORDING MODE.

Ah I apologize, indeed the one without heatsink is the plain A229.
I wanted to go for the 4k in order to maximize the possibility of reading a license plate in case of bad light conditions, but 74℃ with just 26 °C ambient temp it's a lot. The car will be driven in places where during the summer the ambient temp can reach up to 38 °C (without considering direct sun exposure). So I am afraid it could overheat
There are 3 versions of the A229;
A229 Duo 2K (2022) IMX335 STARVIS 1
A229 Plus 2K (2023) IMX675 STARVIS 2
A229 Pro 4K (2023) IMX678 STARVIS 2
I do not recommend the A229 Duo (2022) simply due to no HDR.

Just as Nigel explained when the dash cam is operating in NORMAL RECORDING MODE and you are driving down the road with air flow, and A/C on the camera will not overheat.
The conditions when 99% of all dash cams overheat is when they operate in PARKING MODE with the windows up (no air flow), and in direct sunlight on a hot summer day.

I just started a new heat comparison test in my garage.
Right now I’m “cooking” an A229 Pro & A229 Plus both in 3-CH configuration in Low Bitrate Parking Mode to see what the difference is in their heat signatures.
The last time I did this comparison the cameras were running in Normal Recording Mode.
This should provide interesting results because it removes Bitrate, and Resolution out of the comparison because the A229 Pro drops to 2K resolution in parking mode, and all camera’s Bitrates drop to 4 Mbps.
So the difference between the two camera’s heat signature should not be as great compared to when I measured in Normal Recording Mode.
This test will take about 4 hours to complete.

The conditions when 99% of all dash cams overheat is when they operate in PARKING MODE with the windows up (no air flow), and in direct sunlight on a hot summer day.
Also note that the A229 cameras will shut down if they get too hot, so there should be no risk of damage.

That doesn't seem to be 100% true, never sandwich them them between the glass and a reflective sun protector when parked, that can cook to death almost everything!

This should provide interesting results because it removes Bitrate, and Resolution out of the comparison because the A229 Pro drops to 2K resolution in parking mode, and all camera’s Bitrates drop to 4 Mbps.
The sensor still works at full resolution, and the 4K image needs to be resampled to 2K, so the Pro should still get hotter. It may have a more efficient processor though, so it will be interesting to see the result...

That doesn't seem to be 100% true, never sandwich them them between the glass and a reflective sun protector when parked, that can cook to death almost everything!
how can we avoid the sandwitch? Maybe cutting the part of the reflective sun protector, in the dashcam area?

I performed a heat comparison test with the A229 Pro 3-CH & A229 Plus 3-CH in Low Bitrate Parking Mode.
When I performed this comparison test September 27, 2023 the cameras were in Normal Recording Mode;

1.) Pro Left Plus Right .jpg

To get baseline measurements I let the cameras get to normal operating temperature by letting them operate in Normal Recording Mode for 3 hours.
I configured the cameras with identical settings, (Max Resolution & Bitrate etc).
After 3 hours I took measurements with my TOPDON TC004 Thermal Imaging Camera.

Time: 12:20PM
Garage Ambient Temp: 65℉ (18℃)
Cooking Time: 3 Hours
Firmware: V1.2 240227 (both)
Bitrate: Maximum
IR LED’s: OFF
Pro SD Card: Viofo 64GB
Plus SD Card: Viofo 64GB
Loop Record: 3 Minute
Pro Hottest Temp: 134℉ (56℃)
Plus Hottest Temp: 124℉ (51℃)
Difference: 10℉ (5℃)

3.) Normal Recording Mode Pro .jpg4.) Normal Recording Mode Plus .jpg

Next I enabled Low Bitrate Parking Mode, and let the cameras operate for 2.5 hours.

Time: 2:50PM
Garage Ambient Temp: 75℉ (24℃)
Cooking Time: 2.5 Hours
Pro Hottest Temp: 133℉ (56℃)
Plus Hottest Temp: 125℉ (51℃)
Difference: 8℉ (5℃)

5.) Low Bitrate Pro .jpg6.) Low Bitrate Plus .jpg

@viofo
@VIOFO-Support
@rcg530
@safedrivesolutions
@Vortex Radar
@Agie
@Mtz
@Karagandinez

Attachments

• 2.) 64GB Cards .jpg
    2.) 64GB Cards .jpg
    623.8 KB · Views: 1
I performed a heat comparison test with the A229 Pro 3-CH & A229 Plus 3-CH in Low Bitrate Parking Mode.
When I performed this comparison test September 27, 2023 the cameras were in Normal Recording Mode;

View attachment 72091

To get baseline measurements I let the cameras get to normal operating temperature by letting them operate in Normal Recording Mode for 3 hours.
I configured the cameras with identical settings, (Max Resolution & Bitrate etc).
After 3 hours I took measurements with my TOPDON TC004 Thermal Imaging Camera.

Time: 12:20PM
Garage Ambient Temp: 65℉ (18℃)
Cooking Time: 3 Hours
Firmware: V1.2 240227 (both)
Bitrate: Maximum
IR LED’s: OFF
Pro SD Card: Viofo 64GB
Plus SD Card: Viofo 64GB
Loop Record: 3 Minute
Pro Hottest Temp: 134℉ (56℃)
Plus Hottest Temp: 124℉ (51℃)
Difference: 10℉ (5℃)

View attachment 72092View attachment 72093

Next I enabled Low Bitrate Parking Mode, and let the cameras operate for 2.5 hours.

Time: 2:50PM
Garage Ambient Temp: 75℉ (24℃)
Cooking Time: 2.5 Hours
Pro Hottest Temp: 133℉ (56℃)
Plus Hottest Temp: 125℉ (51℃)
Difference: 8℉ (5℃)

View attachment 72094View attachment 72095

@viofo
@VIOFO-Support
@rcg530
@safedrivesolutions
@Vortex Radar
@Agie
@Mtz
@Karagandinez
Cool fun tests

So the only real difference is that they heated the garage up by 6°C between the two readings, while the cameras stayed at the same temperature!

Back