A329. What is this?

Me too but just for the C: drive, though i do have more slots ( 3 unused i think ) i have not gotten around to using them.

Want 5.0 for c: and 4.0 for storage, also want USB 4.0 ports,,,,, well at least one.
Diminishing returns when you get to 5.0 though I think, 4.0 is plenty fast enough unless you are a speed demon with heavy video editing or graphics needs. Upgrade your phone lol so you don't have to unplug the SSD etc to grab footage

You get those silly uninformed judgey individuals who would immediately dismiss a brand because of the spelling.
I think that happens quite a lot, first impressions are important, which is why I pointed it out.

Personally, I like to see regional accents in spellings, but that is difficult with current English text, and I don't think everyone is going to swap back to writing English in runes where accents were written in the text. I think this was just a mistake.

Thank you for the pictures. People can't imagine right now how important is to be angled, a straight cable to the SSD would be a disaster, the weakest point of setup.
apparently the data cable is the short cable with flat ends available. Those who want to use a portable SSD can probably choose the cable supplied with the SSD, or a cable purchased later, or a cable (angle and length) that can be sold by Viofo and use as an accessory.

apparently the data cable is the short cable with flat ends available. Those who want to use a portable SSD can probably choose the cable supplied with the SSD, or a cable purchased later, or a cable (angle and length) that can be sold by Viofo and use as an accessory.
Ta-da!

I've used UGREEN and Baseus USB-C cables for years with no issues on either brand so these should be a good option

SATA SSDs are pretty old by today's standards so NVMe would be the most likely bet (has been for the last few years) and they don't run that hot compared to microSD.

I'd say it would be in a much better position than microSD. But won't know for sure until someone stress tests it in summer heat in a parked car out in the sun
I was over thinking the port on the dashcam.
Depending on the quality of the chip used will determine speed etc.
sata ssd is cheaper but is slower providing the usb chip can handle high speed eg 3.2x2 various speeds.
Long cable may also introduce reliability issues especially when nuff nuffs start playing with nvme via usb-c

I was over thinking the port on the dashcam.
Depending on the quality of the chip used will determine speed etc.
sata ssd is cheaper but is slower providing the usb chip can handle high speed eg 3.2x2 various speeds.
Long cable may also introduce reliability issues especially when nuff nuffs start playing with nvme via usb-c
Manufacturers like Kingston I think, stopped manufacturing SATA in 2022 so I would be led to believe most of the big names also wouldn't be doing the same either. Most folks would be using NVMe nowadays anyways, in external and internal SSDs.

Manufacturers like Kingston I think, stopped manufacturing SATA in 2022 so I would be led to believe most of the big names also wouldn't be doing the same either. Most folks would be using NVMe nowadays anyways, in external and internal SSDs.
Still used and available. One use is upgrading older equipment as they don't support the new protocol.
But nvme is the future.

Not sure.
But would the dashcam or the SSD itself handle error correction stuff / wear leveling and so on supported in solid state storage ??

No longer as PC geeky as i use to be.

Not sure.
But would the dashcam or the SSD itself handle error correction stuff / wear leveling and so on supported in solid state storage ??

No longer as PC geeky as i use to be.
You would think TRIM would be in play on the dashcam end to manage it all, in which case i wouldn't worry. Not like the old days of mechanical hard drives that would give you a heart attack lol

SATA SSDs are still going to be 10x faster than what you need.

Make sure to get a SSD that can continually write fast enough. I had a 4TB Samsung SSD and after the buffer was full (like 10 minutes?) it only wrote at 60 Mbps. It's the same for many cheaper SSDs, NVME or not.

Shame it’s only a 2 channel. I have a 139 3 channel and am always open to an upgrade. Mine won’t take a 512gb card and I would like more recording time out of a 256 card.

I want up to 32 channel where you keep daisy chaining cameras. Viofo would sell tons of the additional cameras.

So I’ve had an A329 for a little while now for testing. I’m actively working on my video on it.

IMG_7414.jpeg

Overall I’m liking it.

The 60 fps can be helpful in some instances, especially in the daytime when it’s a bit darker, but not at night.

The SSD support is kinda finicky and works better on Windows than Mac.

The WiFi 6 upgrade is noticeable. Transfer speeds are around 28 MB/s, ~3x faster than the A229 Pro.

The cooling improvements mean that the A329 does run cooler than the A229 Pro.

The A329 is capped at 2CH max so it’s less versatile than the A229 Pro.

Make sure to get a SSD that can continually write fast enough. I had a 4TB Samsung SSD and after the buffer was full (like 10 minutes?) it only wrote at 60 Mbps. It's the same for many cheaper SSDs, NVME or not.
Presumably 60Mega Bytes per second?
60Mbps would not be much use for a 100Mb/s dashcam!

Yes, SSDs can have multiple layers of cache, and even multiple speeds of storage, they expect you to take a break after a while, when they will empty their fast storage into slow storage ready for the next high speed burst, I expect there are going to be a few problems unless people stick to recommended drives.

The 60 fps can be helpful in some instances, especially in the daytime when it’s a bit darker, but not at night.
Did you notice whether it stays at 60fps at night, or does it double the frame duration resulting in effective 30fps video?

Did you notice whether it stays at 60fps at night, or does it double the frame duration resulting in effective 30fps video?
i think Starvis 2 is sensitive enough to not need less than 1/60th second if you have your headlamps on.
Maybe the SNV Super Night Vision drops to 30fps?

Apparently, 4K 60fps with HDR is not possible...
It is not possible with this image sensor.
But it is possible :cool:

So I’ve had an A329 for a little while now for testing. I’m actively working on my video on it.

View attachment 74114

Overall I’m liking it.

The SSD support is kinda finicky and works better on Windows than Mac.

The WiFi 6 upgrade is noticeable. Transfer speeds are around 28 MB/s, ~3x faster than the A229 Pro.

The cooling improvements mean that the A329 does run cooler than the A229 Pro.

The A329 is capped at 2CH max so it’s less versatile than the A229 Pro.
What size ssd are you running? In the manual it doesn’t state size limitation.

Back