Alexa won’t work

So it may be an issue with the Wi-Fi switching between an external Wi-Fi network and the Dash Cam Wi-Fi.

When getting into your car I'd recommend manually disconnecting from your home/office Wi-Fi and then connecting to the Dash Cam. Once there's only one Wi-Fi source available, it should be quicker to connect.

Hope this helps,
Millie

Surely that is only true if you have previously connected AND set the Android device to connect automatically.
And surely it should be visible on the WiFi "Available networks" screen?

Surely that is only true if you have previously connected AND set the Android device to connect automatically.
And surely it should be visible on the WiFi "Available networks" screen?
Hey,

If you were trying to connect using the App and the Dash Cam was emitting a Wi-Fi signal, a list won't be displayed of available devices, it will just automatically ask you to 'join' the available network. If before you clicked 'Join' you went into Settings on the mobile Device, you would be able to see a list of available devices, but this list would not appear on the MyNextbase Connect app.

Hope that helps :)

no matter what I do I cannot get my phone to recognize my dashcam I have checked available networks etc but nothing seems to work,

no matter what I do I cannot get my phone to recognize my dashcam I have checked available networks etc but nothing seems to work,
I'd recommend trying these Steps to get fully connected again. (I know it's long and convoluted, but stick with it):

1. Open the Bluetooth settings on your phone.
2.. You will need to 'Forget' the camera from within the Bluetooth settings
3. Uninstall and reinstall My Nextbase Connect (and Alexa if applicable) Do not connect to your Dash Cam on either app yet.
4. Make sure that the camera is not recording, if it is then simply tap the red recording icon in the bottom left of the screen to stop it.
5. Tap the settings cogwheel in the top left and select 'setup'.
6. Scroll to page four and tap 'Keep User Settings' and turn it off.
7. Go to 'Default Settings' and select yes, this will set the camera back to defaults.
8. When the camera turns itself back on you will need to go through the first time setup again: Settings- Connect Apps- MyNextbase Connect- Setup Phone
9. On your phone, manually turn Bluetooth off and back on again.
10. Open My Nextbase Connect and tap 'Connect to dashcam', as long as your camera is still displaying 'Connecting' you should be able to connect the two.

Then, to turn on Alexa:
1) Turn on the Dash Cam
2) On the Dash Cam: Stop it recording
3) On the Dash Cam: Go into Settings
4) On the Dash Cam: Connect apps- Alexa- Setup phone. Open this screen and leave it open during the next 5 steps.
5) On your Mobile Phone: Open the Alexa app
6) On the bottom row of the Alexa app you'll see a selection of tabs. Click 'Devices' (bottom right)
7) Then the white '+', in the top right of the screen.
8) Click- 'Add Device'
9) Click- 'Headphones'
10) Then select your Dash Cam
Your Dash Cam should now be connected.
PLEASE NOTE : If you wish to use Alexa, please ensure that both Alexa and My Nextbase Connect are kept open in the background on your phone

You're almost there!
To enable the Alexa Skill:
1) If you then go back to MyNextbase Connect you should be able to ask 'Alexa, what's the time?' and obtain a response. The answer will play out of your phone's speakers, but the question is communicated directly though the Dash Cam's microphone.
2) To enable the Alexa Skill, go to the MyNextbase Connect Home screen; scroll down; ‘amazon alexa’ ribbon; press ‘Learn More’ button (not the first Alexa related ribbon, but the second down on the page)
3) Brings up in MyNextbaseConnect an Alexa screen. At the bottom of screen; press ‘Enable the Skill’ button
4) Opens a separate Alexa tab- click ‘Allow’
5) Opens a pop up in MyNextbase Connect ‘Please login to enable skill’. Click on button
6) Opens Alexa App. Shows details for MyNextbase Connect linked app; click ‘Enable To Use’
7) Opens a skills Permission page- Tick ‘First Name’, then press ‘Save Settings’
8) Opens a web pop-up for Amazon Alexa on-line, this is the confirmation screen for linking. Close this screen and go back to MNC app.
9) MNC app shows ‘Skill Activated’ pop-out; press ‘Dismiss’ button
10) Go back to home screen. On the home screen; 'Talk to your Dash Cam', click on 'Available Now'- this will bring up a list of command for Dash Cam control.

This should get you completely set up successfully. Let me know how you get on!

Millie

I'd recommend trying these Steps to get fully connected again. (I know it's long and convoluted, but stick with it):

1. Open the Bluetooth settings on your phone.
2.. You will need to 'Forget' the camera from within the Bluetooth settings
3. Uninstall and reinstall My Nextbase Connect (and Alexa if applicable) Do not connect to your Dash Cam on either app yet.
4. Make sure that the camera is not recording, if it is then simply tap the red recording icon in the bottom left of the screen to stop it.
5. Tap the settings cogwheel in the top left and select 'setup'.
6. Scroll to page four and tap 'Keep User Settings' and turn it off.
7. Go to 'Default Settings' and select yes, this will set the camera back to defaults.
8. When the camera turns itself back on you will need to go through the first time setup again: Settings- Connect Apps- MyNextbase Connect- Setup Phone
9. On your phone, manually turn Bluetooth off and back on again.
10. Open My Nextbase Connect and tap 'Connect to dashcam', as long as your camera is still displaying 'Connecting' you should be able to connect the two.

Then, to turn on Alexa:
1) Turn on the Dash Cam
2) On the Dash Cam: Stop it recording
3) On the Dash Cam: Go into Settings
4) On the Dash Cam: Connect apps- Alexa- Setup phone. Open this screen and leave it open during the next 5 steps.
5) On your Mobile Phone: Open the Alexa app
6) On the bottom row of the Alexa app you'll see a selection of tabs. Click 'Devices' (bottom right)
7) Then the white '+', in the top right of the screen.
8) Click- 'Add Device'
9) Click- 'Headphones'
10) Then select your Dash Cam
Your Dash Cam should now be connected.
PLEASE NOTE : If you wish to use Alexa, please ensure that both Alexa and My Nextbase Connect are kept open in the background on your phone

You're almost there!
To enable the Alexa Skill:
1) If you then go back to MyNextbase Connect you should be able to ask 'Alexa, what's the time?' and obtain a response. The answer will play out of your phone's speakers, but the question is communicated directly though the Dash Cam's microphone.
2) To enable the Alexa Skill, go to the MyNextbase Connect Home screen; scroll down; ‘amazon alexa’ ribbon; press ‘Learn More’ button (not the first Alexa related ribbon, but the second down on the page)
3) Brings up in MyNextbaseConnect an Alexa screen. At the bottom of screen; press ‘Enable the Skill’ button
4) Opens a separate Alexa tab- click ‘Allow’
5) Opens a pop up in MyNextbase Connect ‘Please login to enable skill’. Click on button
6) Opens Alexa App. Shows details for MyNextbase Connect linked app; click ‘Enable To Use’
7) Opens a skills Permission page- Tick ‘First Name’, then press ‘Save Settings’
8) Opens a web pop-up for Amazon Alexa on-line, this is the confirmation screen for linking. Close this screen and go back to MNC app.
9) MNC app shows ‘Skill Activated’ pop-out; press ‘Dismiss’ button
10) Go back to home screen. On the home screen; 'Talk to your Dash Cam', click on 'Available Now'- this will bring up a list of command for Dash Cam control.

This should get you completely set up successfully. Let me know how you get on!

Millie
Thanks for this. My wife and children got me one of these for Xmas and I was having great trouble getting connected, despite the fact I think it was actually as simple as the fact that, at no point has it told me that I should use “headphones” as the device type!? (I had tried “security”, “camera” and “other” to no avail?) it worked fine this time and everything is now working great, as it should do.

FYI, You only need to open Alexa and My Nextbase Connect the first time.
And as long as you don't mess about with any settings, or whatnot, when you get in the car and start it/camera wakes up, it'll connect to bluetooth automatically, and My Nextbase Connect, and Alexa will open and run in the background on the Android phone.
Both will show up as icons on the notification bar, but not open as an app would normally be.....and both will close and vanish when you switch off the car/leave the car.
You'll know they are working by their distinctive "bloops/blurps"

I have found that even after following all the steps it stops working within a day or so.

Back