Amazon USA Bargain Deal

"Hi, my name is ____________ - and I'm a 'Tech Toy' junkie." :(

We just might have to start a 12 step thread geared to recovery from dash cam addiction.:confused: I can imagine the vendors wouldn't be too happy though. :( On the other hand it might prompt them to offer us some KILLER deals that some of us just can't resist, no matter what! :D

rear video has no text overlays at all. front only has time, date, firmware versions, and "[GPS]" once it gets a lock. doesnt have the option to embed speed or coordinates in the video. the data is there in a separate track, and it seems only the official blacksys player software can do anything with it. check the 3rd or 4th post in my install thread (link in signature) where i talk about that.

rear video has no text overlays at all. front only has time, date, firmware versions, and "[GPS]" once it gets a lock. doesnt have the option to embed speed or coordinates in the video. the data is there in a separate track, and it seems only the official blacksys player software can do anything with it. check the 3rd or 4th post in my install thread (link in signature) where i talk about that.

Thanks, that's interesting info. I didn't realize the GPS player was proprietary or that Registrator Viewer didn't support this unit. Then again, I asked out of curiosity, not because I would order the optional GPS unit if I were to buy one of these.

I'm waiting for ambarella dual channel.
Should be in my hands soon.

@CheckYourLights if you want to try GPS you can have my GPS antenna for a few bucks. Also make sure you install the newest M1.3 firmware as it fixes some pretty major bugs.
Thanks for the offer. I'm on taptalk right now I'd love to give it a try. PM me so I remember and I'll get back to you about it when I get home

What does this have to do with the topic of this thread beyond the fact that both cameras have two channels?
Video quality.
All the dual channels I have whether NT based or Sony even if they are dual 1080p, have pretty average to poor video quality compared to two individual cheaper ones.

Ambarella dual channel ones may deliver the missing quality going from their single camera's great video quality so I'm holding off on buying any dual channel unless quality is proven.

Video quality.
All the dual channels I have whether NT based or Sony even if they are dual 1080p, have pretty average to poor video quality compared to two individual cheaper ones.

Ambarella dual channel ones may deliver the missing quality going from their single camera's great video quality so I'm holding off on buying any dual channel unless quality is proven.

Well, this has been a thread almost exclusively about the Amazon deal on this Blacksys model rather than an in depth discussion about this class of camera. There is a whole dedicated forum here for Blacksys and there is a whole Multi-Channel Dash Cam forum (140 threads) where technical comparisons might be more appropriately posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
just bought this for my first dash cam, I plan to hardwire this, do I need two separate hardwire kit ?

just bought this for my first dash cam, I plan to hardwire this, do I need two separate hardwire kit ?
only need one. i recommend a proper battery disharge prevention kit, so it can run in parking mode. i bought mine from ojocam (link in my install thread below) but there are plenty of others available. i think i saw one on the for sale section here not too long ago as well.

only need one. i recommend a proper battery disharge prevention kit, so it can run in parking mode. i bought mine from ojocam (link in my install thread below) but there are plenty of others available. i think i saw one on the for sale section here not too long ago as well.
thanks for the help

W've been using the PANOBDP MotoPark (Battery Discharge Prevention Hard Wire Kit) for all our DashCam installs since early 2014. Works well

If you want to use it also for parking mode recording with no risk to drain your car battery, then you need a BDP ( battery discharge prevention ) device. They cost around 30-35usd delivered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Video quality.

The current dual channel Ambarella products aren't great as they're very limited in how much data they can write, they don't come close to any of the single channel products

The current dual channel Ambarella products aren't great as they're very limited in how much data they can write, they don't come close to any of the single channel products

The Thinkware F750 seems to perform well with the Ambarella A7.

I don't think we've seen any raw footage or info on what bitrates it uses here yet though mate?

That Blacksys is a bargain though!

Back