Any new development or dash cam in the works?

This page explains the technology more thoroughly. It does sound like a global shutter and not a rolling shutter but they never actually use the terms. Apparently, the sensor deploys mulitple CPUs to analyze different parts of the image simultaneously.
For now the sensor is intended for CCTV cameras "and environments with significant differences in brightness, such as stadium entrances and nighttime roads" but that could also make it ideal for other applications that involve moving vehicles like dash cams.

Edit: the sensor apparently analyses several adjacent frames to create a "movement map" a "luminance map" and specify exposure conditions among other things. (see article)

new_sensor.jpg

Last edited:
That's the thing we're seeing vapor chamber and other cooler solutions for smartphones so I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing them in applications such as dash cams at some stage
Canon make great products, as do Sony...I have always shot Minolta SLR's in years gone by.
Maybe we can have one of these front and rear dash cams... Too Obvious?
:D

Attachments

• canon2.png
    canon2.png
    378.5 KB · Views: 7
Canon make great products, as do Sony...I have always shot Minolta SLR's in years gone by.
Maybe we can have one of these front and rear dash cams... Too Obvious?
:D
Are those aliens monsters in the car

...Yes but as technology progresses there will be more 4k and above security cameras...
At which time they will begin experiencing the same heat issues as do dash cams. Physicals laws are immutable, they can't be changed just because someone finds them inconvenient. Water will freeze at 0°C - and boil at 100°C, molecular motion will stop 0°K, etc. no matter how beneficial it might be to be otherwise.

Class over. :D

Electrons moving through a conductor generate heat due to resistance. The more electrons the more heat. The only solution is to develop a 'zero resistance' conductor - which so far as I know can only be achieved at extremely low temperatures.
Halve the length of your conductor and half the heat will be generated.
Our dashcams will become more efficient over time as the chips move to smaller technology, and most people will be happy with 4K, so there will be no need to go to 8K and double the heat output again.

At which time they will begin experiencing the same heat issues as do dash cams. Physicals laws are immutable, they can't be changed just because someone finds them inconvenient. Water will freeze at 0°C - and boil at 100°C, molecular motion will stop 0°K, etc. no matter how beneficial it might be to be otherwise.

Class over. :D
Lol yes but technology is not going to hit the ceiling you wish so badly it's going to hit, not yet. Battery technology gets better and breaks through barriers that we thought weren't possible.

Halve the length of your conductor and half the heat will be generated.
Our dashcams will become more efficient over time as the chips move to smaller technology, and most people will be happy with 4K, so there will be no need to go to 8K and double the heat output again.
They'll go to 8K whether people like it or not. The chips will of course move to smaller technology

Yes, that was one of the only truly innovative self developed cameras Street Guardian produced. The problem was that from the time Ric announced that it was in development until the time it actually reached the market was glacially slow, almost absurdly so. He created a lot of buzz for the product but nothing came of it for like maybe a year and a half as I recall. And then when it did finally become available the price was too astronomical for a great many potential buyers. Also, by the time it hit the market the components in the camera were already heading towards obsolescence.
he liked perfection, he was on the phone to me regularly during testing, he may send me several firmware updates in a week to test various things and didnt like releasing things until they were good enough to release and i stopped giving more issues on things that should be.
yeah they are pricier but made from better components he has always told me not the cheaper components on cheaper cameras and they will last longer.
he did tell me he was doing more before he left us but that never eventuated as he left us.

he liked perfection, he was on the phone to me regularly during testing, he may send me several firmware updates in a week to test various things and didnt like releasing things until they were good enough to release and i stopped giving more issues on things that should be.
yeah they are pricier but made from better components he has always told me not the cheaper components on cheaper cameras and they will last longer.
he did tell me he was doing more before he left us but that never eventuated as he left us.

I know Ric put a lot of effort and care into what he did. He was also instrumental in certain ways in influencing other dash cam manufactures to improve their game. I believe he was also highly influential early on in convincing the industry to shift to more stealthy camera designs for the western markets that eliminated all the bright chrome and big attention getting logos that were popular in Asian markets. He was quite masterful at promotion and public relations about the alleged superior quality of his products but the bottom line was that Street Guardian cameras were no more nor less reliable than any other well known brands of dash camera on this forum despite their higher prices compared to similar models from other manufacturers. While many people reported excellent performance and reliability of SG cams, others had nothing but problems, many of which were minimized or even outright denied by Ric and Jon. The general practice with SG was to promptly replace defective cameras, act like the problems never exactly existed in the first place or were very rare and then quietly would resolve any flaws and manufacturing issues in the background. This made customers happy, created loyalty and protected the brand by minimizing awareness of what was sometimes a more widespread issue than many people were aware of. Many customers were treated like someone with a unique or rare problem who were getting prompt individualized attention that provided a satisfactory resolution and sent on their way when in fact they very often were among many reporting the same problem. Any long time member here on the forum who paid close attention could witness this process first hand, especially if you'd experienced the same problem.

In my case, I received five SG9665 units before I finally got one that worked properly. One even arrived DOA (nothing but static on the screen) The first one had a focus problem that Jon insisted was a "one off" and then the second camera went badly out of focus worse than the first one, yet Ric and Jon continued to claim for years that the out-of focus issues were "extremely rare" despite dozens of threads and countless reports about the problem here on DCT.

There were other serious issues, such as the high contrast/dynamic range problem that went on for a year and a half of stalling, denial and asking to see more 'examples' until it was quietly fixed without ever actually admitting there was a problem in the first place. I first contacted Ric and Jon privately about the problem out of discretion so as to not make a public fuss but after many months of being asked to provide more and more "proof" and documentation and then being told to wait months for the next firmware update only to eventually discover months later when the firmware was released that it didn't address the problem at all I lost patience and finally went public about the problem with the above thread that then also went for many months without a resolution.

I endured a lot of flack, push back and SG fanboy abuse over this one from certain members on the forum including and especially you, but I was heartened to receive many supportive PMs from other members who reported the same issue and similar experiences with Street Guardian and their products.

I had two SG966GCs. In the end both of them died from the endless boot looping issue.

I don't know what came over me but I went out and purchased another Street Guardian camera, the SGGCX2PRO+ but the image quality was so poor that I returned it. The footage had major pixelation issues, which I found intolerable considering all the hype about the camera and what I had just spent, so I returned the unit. Sometime later, I saw on the forum that Street Guardian acknowledged the problem and admitted that the pixelation issue was a firmware shortcoming that was scheduled for an update but by that time I was done with Street Guardian and no longer owned the camera. How can any company release an expensive new camera with a problem like that and not be aware of it?

Meanwhile, I've been running two Viofo A119 V3s for 4 years now without a single glitch or issue despite the harsh environment they operate in. They far exceed the performance, features and reliability of the SG9665GCs but cost half as much.

Last edited:
There hasn't been much news around Street Guardian since joikinn left. Are there any new dash cam or upgrades to current models in development at the moment?
Jokin RIP didn't leave Street Guardian. He actually passed away a few years ago.

• Sad
Reactions: M83
Jokin RIP didn't leave Street Guardian. He actually passed away a few years ago.
Sadly SG appears to have stalled ever since his passing.

Yeah that's kind of what I meant.

Also RIP Street Guardian. It looks like they are slowly getting rid of what's left instock on Amazon and Jon is moving onto Viofo products which is a smart business move.

We still sell everything Street Guardian via OCD Tronic . I decided to consolidate everything into one company and site because it was getting too complicated and expensive to maintain two physical entities, sets of books, Amazon stores, various subscription fees, etc.

Back