Before I formally introduce 6 Hikvision 1600P Dashcams, Please check out demo videos below

Totally agree.
Probably many "Well-Known Members" here know more than Dashcam sales.

You came here to introduce/sales pitch your product but clearly you don't know or understand key features and, or functionality of your own product, and it only let us wonder how much involvement you have in the company.
This is the very first time I've hear of Hikvision entering the dashcam market but I've seen very good reviews on the surveilance cameras and i hope the company has same or better success with the lineup of dashcams.

I'm sorry for being that critical but I think it is very important for you to refine and get prepared as im sure the company has a pretty large investment in their hands.

You came here to introduce/sales pitch your product but clearly you don't know or understand key features and, or functionality of your own product, and it only let us wonder how much involvement you have in the company.
This is the very first time I've hear of Hikvision entering the dashcam market but I've seen very good reviews on the surveilance cameras and i hope the company has same or better success with the lineup of dashcams.

I'm sorry for being that critical but I think it is very important for you to refine and get prepared as im sure the company has a pretty large investment in their hands.

You're a little bit late to the ball game. I already pointed this out to him several comments above. He responded his background is in security cameras. That's great, but he isn't pitching security cameras now. @RickyC now understands he came here unprepared and acknowledges that point. Moving forward, I think he'll do his homework in an effort to professionally represent the brand that he's now pitching.

Last edited:
You're a little bit late to the ball game. I already pointed this out to him several comments above. He responded his background is in security cameras. That's great, but he isn't pitching security cameras now. @RickyC now understands he came here unprepared and acknowledges that point. Moving forward, I think he'll do his homework in an effort to professionally represent that brand that he's now pitching.
Oops! No intentions of taking your crown away...

GNET cameras do not use a battery or capacitor in their cameras. Files are saved as soon as power is cut.
.ts format?

A few cameras use that now. Some vid players don't handle it, but the better ones do. I like the concept as it reduces the chance of a lost or corrupted file on shutdown, but it does lose about one second at the end of the recording on shutdown. Nothing's perfect :rolleyes:

Phil

Oops! No intentions of taking your crown away...

More like there's no point in beating a dead horse. @RickyC acknowledged he screwed up coming here unprepared. No sense in continually flogging the guy after having admitted his mistake.

.ts format?

A few cameras use that now. Some vid players don't handle it, but the better ones do. I like the concept as it reduces the chance of a lost or corrupted file on shutdown, but it does lose about one second at the end of the recording on shutdown. Nothing's perfect :rolleyes:

Phil

According to the Gnet thread posted by @CaptureYourAction , .ts file sizes are huge comparative to the JDR format. So I guess that's a drawback. One second of file loss probably wouldn't be too critical in scheme of things. The tradeoff being the camera doesn't require a battery or supercap for the file to properly exit. Although, can .ts format be read by players like VLC or must it first be converted before recognized by mainstream media players?

More like there's no point in beating a dead horse. @RickyC acknowledged he screwed up coming here unprepared. No sense in continually flogging the guy after having admitted his mistake.
Spotlight is yours!

You're a little bit late to the ball game. I already pointed this out to him several comments above. He responded his background is in security cameras. That's great, but he isn't pitching security cameras now. @RickyC now understands he came here unprepared and acknowledges that point. Moving forward, I think he'll do his homework in an effort to professionally represent that brand that he's now pitching.
Thank you both for all comments, no matter it is harsh or not.
I am learning from your guys. It is fun.

When you get too far away from commonly used formats, it can become a problem in using your footage for insurance or Police purposes. .ts format is just now gaining ground but not so sure about JDR format.

@RickyC We're on your side friend- we just want you to be successful and to impress your customers as being a real Pro (y)

Phil

When you get too far away from commonly used formats, it can become a problem in using your footage for insurance or Police purposes. .ts format is just now gaining ground but not so sure about JDR format.

@RickyC We're on your side friend- we just want you to be successful and to impress your customers as being a real Pro (y)

Phil
Thank you, Phil.

Phil

Have you tested .ts format on VLC or other mainstream players? VLC claims to support the format, which is good recognition towards widespread adoption.

Hi Lothar,
Thank you for your post.
I have to say I don't have answers for all your questions.
I will get answers from our App team.

However I do think there must be reasons why we do it.
For example, vibration control permission is for your notification control of the App.
Maybe Other Apps do not support this functionality. So they don't need that permission.
you can try to check an App support notification function to see if they request permission to control vibration or not.
You have to compare apple by apple.
View attachment 59241

You can simply disable any permissions you don't feel comfortable, or you don't know what is for.
But getting permission from users does not mean HikDashcam is a malicious app, and Hikvison is sending your information to somewhere you don't know.

Anyway, I will get answers for you or all members here.

Ricky

Hope your app team can answer every single one these questions...I'm very eager to hear their reasoning for all of them.

Possibly. We don't know that yet.
Apps should only have the necessary permissions and function to do their job. I'm not sure that I understand the reasons for requesting all of these permissions on our personal device. There are many other competing dashcams on the market (with just as many or even more features than your product) that don't require nor collect these invasive permissions or data.

All these information is being collected and *could* potentially be sent somewhere. Where? I don't know.

I recall the answer for your last 2 questions:
Why does a dashcam app need access to camera permissions on your personal phone?
Why in the world does a dashcam app need access to controlling the flashlight on your personal phone?

The Answer: Those 2 permissions are only needed for user to scan the QR code on the packaging or display screen with the HikDashcam app, and connect your phone Wi-Fi to the Wi-Fi AP of the dashcam.

I am sure if other apps support this QR scan function, they have to request that permission too.

you can enable it to add your dashcam in and then disable it if you don't feel comfortable with those 2 permissions.
or manually connect your phone to the Dashcam Wi-Fi AP to add this Dashcam in.

Ricky
Thank you for answering those last 2 questions.
That answer sounds reasonable. Although I'm not sure that using that method makes it easier than using a generic WiFi AP with a generic password that can be later changed at the user's discretion.
I also don't see the reason for having those permissions when your app already has an existing Bluetooth permission and can achieve the same result via pairing/sharing of connection.

The remaining questions that I need answer for are:
1.) Why does the app need to see what other apps I have installed and running? What other apps or list of apps is the company looking for here, and how exactly does it relate to the functionality of the product? What does your company do with these list of apps that I have installed or running tied to my IMEI/device ID? Is this list of apps being sold to data brokers?
2.) Why does it need to read "sensitive" log data? What does it do with this "sensitive" log data that it reads?
3.) Why does it need to read phone status and identity? Why does the app need the IMEI of my mobile device to function?
4.) Why does it need to read device ID and call information?

share 2 videos I just uploaded to show daytime video with strong sunlight shooting at the dashcam

In the second video there are two 'glitches' at 0.49 and at 1.48.

Otherwise looks good!

Phil

share 2 videos I just uploaded to show daytime video with strong sunlight shooting at the dashcam
Having a look at the last two videos and I notice they have lens flare or internal glare/reflection. If the lens had an anti-glare coating this might reduce this problem.
In the first video, it really seems to struggle with the sun blowing out the brightness in part of the screen.

Is the sound working correctly? Is that vehicle electric? the dynamic range of the audio seemed to be lacking. Perhaps the fitment of the dashcam or microphone quality is lacking or the audio compression?

Regarding access to the phone, internal functions will put doubt in users minds.

Before the formal product release @RickyC has joined DCT, posted some videos and information, and asked us for questions. He has been responsive, provided further details and clarification, and not been afraid to say "I don't know". That all seems reasonable to me.

Before the formal product release @RickyC has joined DCT, posted some videos and information, and asked us for questions. He has been responsive, provided further details and clarification, and not been afraid to say "I don't know". That all seems reasonable to me.

Hear, hear and most importantly he hasn’t thrown his toys out of the pram when quizzed, hopefully we’ll get answers to all the questions. I like @RickyC [emoji3]

Having a look at the last two videos and I notice they have lens flare or internal glare/reflection. If the lens had an anti-glare coating this might reduce this problem.
This was one reason I asked for some "sunny day" vids ;) The glare isn't nearly as bad as some cams I have, and I did notice the windshield isn't perfectly clean which exacerbates glare considerably. No names mentioned but I've got some well-known cams which do not do even this good with brightest sun, and I see those conditions a lot where I live :cool:

I can tolerate a reduction in vid quality but I can't tolerate having a whole view wiped out with glare or darkness. Best to have neither problem :) I also have to think about price; what good is a perfect dashcam if we cannot afford to buy it? So I don't expect perfection, but there is some room for gains in vid quality of dashcams and with their existing camera experience Hikivision is perfectly placed to deliver that to us.

Phil

Another consideration is that a minor amount of lens flare in conditions like that is completely normal. No multi-element lens can eliminate lens flare entirely. This is especially true of a fixed aperture lens like what we have in our dash cams. The fact that the flare is subtle and has so little refraction is impressive actually. I own lenses costing thousands of dollars that might not do as well.

The camera performed extremely well under challenging conditions heading into direct sunlight and this was obviously the reason it was posted.

Last edited:
Sorry Guys for the delay
I have answers for questions of App permission and capacitor or battery.
I am too busy this morning. I will post answers later today.
Thank you all!

Back