Best video setting for 0806

182_blue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, not had chance to set mine up yet but have a 64gb card, how long should i expect the recording to last for this card ?, also what would the best video settings be for quality and length of recording ?

Last edited by a moderator:
2560 x 1080 21:9 resolution with super quality gives around 8 hours 10 minutes of daylight video, more if it includes night time and is the highest resolution, you can reduce the resolution and quality to get longer.

Thanks for the replies, one more question on the 64gb card, the instructions state that the card must be formatted in fat32 but i don't have a PC only a Mac, whats the best option for formatting it ?, think the card in in Exfat

Thanks for the replies, one more question on the 64gb card, the instructions state that the card must be formatted in fat32 but i don't have a PC only a Mac, whats the best option for formatting it ?, think the card in in Exfat
Not sure on MAC.
Check how it's formatted from the factory. It may already be in exfat.
If not, format in the camera. It should format properly.

Not sure on MAC.
Check how it's formatted from the factory. It may already be in exfat.
If not, format in the camera. It should format properly.
No, 64GB cards format as exFAT in the camera but FAT32 is required for recording. I'm sure Google will have a better suggestion than replacing your Macintosh by a proper computer :D

No, 64GB cards format as exFAT in the camera but FAT32 is required for recording. I'm sure Google will have a better suggestion than replacing your Macintosh by a proper computer :D
That doesn't make sense for mfr to do that.
The dashcam is supposed to format correctly in itself.
'I can format but I when I format it, I can't use it'. Bad idea.

That doesn't make sense for mfr to do that.
The dashcam is supposed to format correctly in itself.
'I can format but I when I format it, I can't use it'. Bad idea.

it's because it's a firmware hack, it doesn't support the cards correctly, there's an updated SDK to do that but there's a licence fee involved so it can support large cards only if formatted by a 3rd party utility

it's because it's a firmware hack, it doesn't support the cards correctly, there's an updated SDK to do that but there's a licence fee involved so it can support large cards only if formatted by a 3rd party utility
Okay, that makes sense.
I guess they have some app/software for MAC to format correctly in FAT32.

Okay, that makes sense.
I guess they have some app/software for MAC to format correctly in FAT32.

no idea, the apps are all 3rd party, I guess like most they consider Mac to be a small part of the business only so leave them to their own devices, suggestions I've seen previously for Mac owners generally involves dual boot and a copy of Windows ;)

Here is what the file properties are for 2560*1080p vs 2304*1296p.
Not much difference and VBR varies from one video clip to another.
On this snowy day, both are around 26mbps instead of my regular drive's 14mbps.
I guess, white snow makes it hard for the camera and records at almost double VBR.

Mini 0806 File Resolution.jpg

Video comparison:
Mini 0806 dashcam @ 2560*1080p video resolution

Gearbest Mini 0806 dashcam @ 2304*1296p video resolution
More fish eye effect:

Last edited:

I have a proper computer ;-) , anyway the issue was i tried to reformat on my parallels desktop (windoze on a mac) and the format utility would not let me select fat32, so i downloaded this https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...32-format-formatter-tool-utility-how-to.3693/
worked a treat

All Apple computers come preloaded with an app called 'Disk Utility', I formatted my Kingston 64GB cards using this app. Simply insert into your card reader slot, click on Disk Utility and wait till it displays it in the left, select that SD drive then select 'Erase', then select 'MS-DOS (FAT)', leave the NAME as 'UNTITLED' if you wish, then click on 'Erase'.

Just remember that formatting will erase all data on the drive and is pretty much unrecoverable should you accidentally erase the wrong drive, so just be careful!

Have enclosed a screenshot of what 'Disk Utility' displays when a 64GB sd card is inserted in the slot of my Mac and I've selected 'Erase' from the menu options - hope this helps.

disk-utility-screen-shot.jpg

And slightly off topic, you can also use Disk Utility if you purchase an WD External hard drive (or similar) formatted for Windows, just format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and you are good to go.

I do know about disc utility but just wanted to add true Fat32 as per the instructions.

I do know about disc utility but just wanted to add true Fat32 as per the instructions.

Actually you have given me an idea because I'm using 64GB cards and am having problems with recording at higher resolutions and wonder if formatting using the Mac is what is causing the problems.

EDIT: Made no difference - I formatted the 64GB cards in the dash cam using the 'Format' option but it made no difference, the 0806 still freezes after 7 or 8 seconds when recording in any resolution larger than 1920x1080.

Last edited:
EDIT: Made no difference - I formatted the 64GB cards in the dash cam using the 'Format' option but it made no difference, the 0806 still freezes after 7 or 8 seconds when recording in any resolution larger than 1920x1080.

camera won't format large cards correctly

I just got the cam and have it on the highest video settings and also updated the firmware to the latest. When i playback the video, the video looks sub par and not as sharp as some i've seen. Is it the mov file format? . Youtube only gives me 720p at highest res.See what i mean.

I just got the cam and have it on the highest video settings and also updated the firmware to the latest. When i playback the video, the video looks sub par and not as sharp as some i've seen. Is it the mov file format? . Youtube only gives me 720p at highest res.See what i mean.

You have 1440 available on that clip, I think the higher resolutions take longer to become available.

It looks reasonable to me but YouTube does reduce the quality, if you post a frame grab at full resolution (eg using Registrator Viewer - save current frame) then people can give a proper judgement...

You probably have a bit of motion blur when moving in those lighting conditions so it wont be the very sharpest.

Welcome :)

oh i see. Thanks. I havent played with all the settings yet so who knows. I still see edge artifacts on the 1440 youtube res.

Back