Blueskysea B1W dashcam

A good reason for relocating the date/time stamp....

View attachment 34847
I turned up the contrast for you:
upload_2017-12-2_11-58-44.png
Maybe you need to adjust your monitor, but it would help if the dark outline around the text was black instead of very transparent black.

Some people like orange a lot, especially the Dutch, but there are more people who hate orange!

I see the "black" outline is transparent, it is only black when it is over something dark.
If you made it full black (no transparent) then it would be much easier to read on a white sky, I think that is all that is needed.
View attachment 34839
Of course, orange will look like something out of place on the video, and if you want to show your trip for your friends at home on TV - it's not comme il faut.
For other purposes - it is justified, look at my example - in difficult conditions, even orange is highlighted and the stamp is poorly visible.
But Your version of the white font with a thick black outline I also liked :)

I turned up the contrast for you:
View attachment 34848
Maybe you need to adjust your monitor, but it would help if the dark outline around the text was black instead of very transparent black.

Yes thanks, I thought it was about that time..but having to adjust the colour would not be good if it were a video.
So the date/time stamp would be better placed at the bottom.

PS:
It seems to me that the main thing is that the stamp can be seen on video in any conditions, otherwise what is it for? The black font below you also will not see on the background of the black panel

Perhaps it is much more difficult to introduce a non-standard font into the firmware than to simply make a contrasting color that can be discerned in any conditions

I've never seen so much discussion about the location and colour of the time stamp. It's obviously something that matters a great deal. Perhaps we could have options in the firmware so we can each choose what we like best?

...Perhaps we could have options in the firmware so we can each choose what we like best?
This option would be the most convenient

The microphone has captured when you use, and fail to use, the indicators, which could be useful.

Did I fail to indicate? :eek:
That must have been a deliberate mistake to test the camera microphone! ;)
Joking aside, I do review my dashcam recordings when I think either myself or another driver may have done something questionable. If you can spare the time I would be interested to hear where you think I should have indicated when I did not. PM might be better than an open discussion diverting the topic of this thread.

Joking aside, I do review my dashcam recordings when I think either myself or another driver may have done something questionable. If you can spare the time I would be interested to hear where you think I should have indicated when I did not. PM might be better than an open discussion diverting the topic of this thread.
When I first watched it, I could clearly hear the indicators at 1:16 as you join the dual carriageway, but I didn't hear them as you changed lanes at 1:26 or back again at 1:50, listening again having turned the volume up and trying to find fault with your driving, I think I do hear them, just, but you only use them as you start to change lanes, you don't give the recommended 3 flashes before starting to move! You also didn't use them at all when you left the roundabout even though the car in front did at 0:54.

I'm not criticising your driving since I can't see that using the indicators was required in any of those cases, I don't have a rear view to see what was behind, if anything, and leaving the roundabout it was obvious where you were going anyway, although indicating might have been appreciated by traffic in the next lane that might of wanted to overtake but was waiting to be sure that you were leaving the roundabout and not continuing around.

My point was just that the evidence was recorded, although if it is unreliable because it is only sometimes recorded and sometimes masked by road noise then it is possibly worse than no evidence! I guess there is a lot more road noise at 1:26 compared to 1:16, but I can't tell that by listening, only by the fact that I have difficulty hearing the indicators at 1:26.

Took me a while to find the video again, it was this one:

When I first watched it, I could clearly hear the indicators at 1:16 as you join the dual carriageway, but I didn't hear them as you changed lanes at 1:26 or back again at 1:50, listening again having turned the volume up and trying to find fault with your driving, I think I do hear them, just, but you only use them as you start to change lanes, you don't give the recommended 3 flashes before starting to move! You also didn't use them at all when you left the roundabout even though the car in front did at 0:54.

I'm not criticising your driving since I can't see that using the indicators was required in any of those cases, I don't have a rear view to see what was behind, if anything, and leaving the roundabout it was obvious where you were going anyway, although indicating might have been appreciated by traffic in the next lane that might of wanted to overtake but was waiting to be sure that you were leaving the roundabout and not continuing around.

My point was just that the evidence was recorded, although if it is unreliable because it is only sometimes recorded and sometimes masked by road noise then it is possibly worse than no evidence! I guess there is a lot more road noise at 1:26 compared to 1:16, but I can't tell that by listening, only by the fact that I have difficulty hearing the indicators at 1:26.

Took me a while to find the video again, it was this one:
Thanks for your comments Nigel. I do appreciate another opinion. I don't indicate at 0:54 since I'm already in an exit-only lane, which makes sense to me but I'm not sure it's the right thing to do. I recently bought a copy of the highway code so I can refresh my knowledge and keep abreast of current guidance.

Back on topic to the B1W, I find the filenames to be longer than necessary. I understand that they show the start and end date and time of each file, but I think it would be ok to just have the start or end rather than both.

I think we need to keep in mind that the B1W is designed to be a simple-to-use budget-friendly cam. More features equals more cost and more complexity ;)

Mine will get installed tomorrow with a hardwire kit to test parking mode :D It's going in the back of the minivan as the big van sprung a transmission leak which will require dropping the trans to fix :cry:

Phil

I think we need to keep in mind that the B1W is designed to be a simple-to-use budget-friendly cam. More features equals more cost and more complexity ;)

Phil
You're right. Keeping it simple is better for reliability. I've found a bug which hopefully can be resolved. Otherwise it's proving to be an excellent low-cost camera.

Hi everyone, I received the dashcam from ebay today but having difficulty connecting my iPhone to the dashcam. The wifi password mentioned in the instructions booklet i.e. 1234567890 does not seem to work. Did anyone face similar issue?
Thanks

@Rohith I am Vicky,and you can PM me for help if any questions!
And how do your power this dashcam? directly plug into laptop for power source will cause this WiFi connection error,and change one USB wall charger to power dashcam if you have it test in your office!

@Rohith I am Vicky,and you can PM me for help if any questions!
And how do your power this dashcam? directly plug into laptop for power source will cause this WiFi connection error,and change one USB wall charger to power dashcam if you have it test in your office!

Thanks for your reply Vicky. I have plugged the dashcam to my laptop USB. I dont have a wall charger at office. Will test it out in the car.

Cheers
Rohith

Thanks for reply!
You can use a 5V/1A Output USB wall charger to power it at home ,i.e plugged into the mains (some extension leads have Micro USB plug sockets). Don't plug it into laptop for the power source, it is the causes for wifi connection error - it is best to use this car cigarette socket for power source.

I have a few comments I would like to add: this is one of the simplest dashcams to set up and use.
The menu system is extremely simple. I did not encounter any issues with the wifi or passwords but I do understand why people want to turn off while driving or parked.
The price pricepoint for a wifi capable Sony sensor that is discreet and functional will attract a lot of folks. The video quality, again at this price point is good.

Back