Blueskysea B1W dashcam

Really difficult to make decision.....I do not know how often our users use its WiFi?

I realise that WiFi is necessary for setting up the B1W, and you are trying to allow for first-time dashcam users. However a dashcam is something that most people want to setup once, then maybe check once in a while.

Having said that, I don't think that WiFi being on all the time is a big issue. My current phone seems able to pick up 4G data and connect to the B1W WiFI at the same time, which was my biggest concern. Other phones may not handle this so well.

I think that offering more than one firmware option is likely to lead to confusion.
I also think so - by default, every time the engine is on, you do not need to turn on Wi-Fi automatically.
The user himself decides when to turn it on, the more you do not need to use any menu - there is a button

I lose Wifi on my S8. So do not use the app unless needed.

Really difficult to make decision.....I do not know how often our users use its WiFi?
For most people, when they first install the camera, and then when they have an accident.

Is it possible to have an option in the setup to configure the default on|off?
You can set it on when you ship the camera and put an instruction in the manual to turn it off if not in use.

I think it should really be off by default, I don't want every B1W that passes my house to slow down my home wifi, and somebody did a test last week showing the wifi works from the other side of a car park, it does travel some distance.

For most people, when they first install the camera, and then when they have an accident.

You can set it on when you ship the camera and put an instruction in the manual to turn it off if not in use.

I think it should really be off by default, I don't want every B1W that passes my house to slow down my home wifi, and somebody did a test last week showing the wifi works from the other side of a car park, it does travel some distance.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...1080p-wi-fi-dashcam-review.31743/#post-380233

The primary use here is aiming and setting up the camera, leaving WiFi on all the time would make sense only for a camera that uploads clips to a Cloud service via hotspot.

This would be the ideal solution. When used as a front cam. pressing a button is easy, but not so easy when used as a rear cam. If it's not possible to offer a menu choice then I would default to 'on' but other's wouldn't :rolleyes: Whatever happens keep things simple- that's where the real beauty of this cam lives :D

Phil

As mention before,is it ok that we offer one option firmware to update if they want to turn it off as default!

I think that offering more than one firmware option is likely to lead to confusion.
Actually its Red led indicates WiFi off;and if green led light up,it indicates WiFi on.

As mention before,is it ok that we offer one option firmware to update if they want to turn it off as default!
I think this is OK, if this is the only way you can provide the option.

There needs to be an easy way to access the alternative firmware, maybe a button in the App can put the firmware on the memory card for you and then ask you to reboot, and maybe it can check for updates first, then give you the choice of current firmwares.

I updated the firmware in mine yesterday and it was the first time for me doing this with a cam manually. Even with my very limited computer skills it was easy so I see no need to change that ;) New cams come with the newest firmware installed anyway so not much is missed if someone doesn't update. Other than my Mobius all my various cams are on the firmware they came with and they work just fine like that so I see no need to change them :cool:

Part of the question here is whether we want to make this a more capable but more complex cam, or whether the simple approach is better :whistle: If more complexity is added we should be certain that the default settings will give good performance as that will make it more attractive to oldsters like me who want a true plug-and-play cam that needs nothing else to be done. Maybe the App can offer basic and advanced settings,

Just don't lose the 'simple and cheap' intent of this cam or you will be entering a different market segment where the competitor's cams may be a better choice :eek:

Phil

i didn't expect my msg to set off a good group discussion :whistle:

but i feel wifi should be off, only time it needs to be on is for setup and viewing content that is it :rolleyes:

it does not need to be on all the time for no reason and rather it not be broadcast to scammers who may do insurance scam and be able see the camera on there phone from car infront / behind since the 2.4ghz broadcasts pretty far i noticed from this dashcam and be able tap "stop video" since even the DVR dashcam app links to this and not hard to guess the default wifi password :eek:

i noticed when wifi is off the led flashes red which is also better to anyone, since everyone knows recording on a camera / dvr or that is either a red indicator or a red button etc ;)

if its that bad a problem since it may require a change in the manual writing itself, then just release two firmware's for users who want wifi off as default.... :D

firmware 1. wifi on during startup "DEFAULT"
or
firmware 2. wifi off during startup "USER CHOICE"

this cam has a lot of potential to become one of the BEST budget dashcams you can buy, i owned the ROAV C1 Pro and this dashcam is rubbish with its fish bowl look and soft washed pictures even at 1440p!! compared to the B1W which was over half the price £99 vs £42!! i was able to nearly hide the B1W at top the windscreen, like hell could the small C1 pro be hidden and looked like a great theft magnet!! :cautious:

so again this B1W has the potential to beat higher cost cameras, since it is a small and simple dashcam, but at the same time it has the hardware / spec to be customised nicely as well (y)

It seems that most people want it off by default, is there anyone who really wants it on by default?

:( It makes me on the horns of a dilemma,some users,like you,want to keep WiFi off as default; But other someone, maybe dashcam newbie,not so familar with dashcam and WiFi connection.If i keep its WiFi off after power on,they think its camera was faulty already to generate WiFi SSID.
So,is if it ok that we offer one backup firmware for users to update if you want to keep its WiFi off as default?
Maybe the answer is to put a sticker over the button saying "Press for 4 seconds to turn Wi-Fi on|off.", and confirm that the Wi-Fi is on|off using a voice message.

:( It makes me on the horns of a dilemma,some users,like you,want to keep WiFi off as default; But other someone, maybe dashcam newbie,not so familar with dashcam and WiFi connection.If i keep its WiFi off after power on,they think its camera was faulty already to generate WiFi SSID.
So,is if it ok that we offer one backup firmware for users to update if you want to keep its WiFi off as default?

if it is possible to have "one backup firmware" that allows wifi to be off as default then yes please will love this :love: lets the "advanced" user then choose what they prefer meaning no need change writing in the manual and so on

but at the same time it has the hardware / spec to be customised nicely as well
Too many reviewers i need to say "thank you" to them,I got many,many useful details suggestions from them,and learnt to how to do better!

Just updated my review page with new comments and a new vid https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a-blueskysea-b1w-review.31901/

I'm not really liking the timestamp as it blends in with the bright sky on top left making it unreadable :( Perhaps better at the bottom or with a change of the text color to black would help here ;)

I am liking the 1 minute clips which I thought might be too short, but it makes for easier access to a specific time and for adding previous or following vids to show an entire situation :D I'll be resetting my other cams to shorter file times now. And I've decided that the B1W has become my recommended budget-level cam as it's vids surpass the G1W-S which previously held that distinction. There's a whole lot of value to be found in the B1W :cool:

Phil

One other suggestion. I installed the B1W fairly quickly, or tried to. I have a different dashcam, and two toll transponders in the top center of my windshield. The best position for the b1w, without moving everything else was to rotate the camera with the power plug/ button end to the left.
(to remove cam from mount and plug easily)
'some' cameras will automatically flip the video. The B1W doesn't. it would be nice to have this feature, or an option to do this in the app.
Overall, the b1w is working well for the last 3 days of use.

One other suggestion. I installed the B1W fairly quickly, or tried to. I have a different dashcam, and two toll transponders in the top center of my windshield. The best position for the b1w, without moving everything else was to rotate the camera with the power plug/ button end to the left.
(to remove cam from mount and plug easily)
'some' cameras will automatically flip the video. The B1W doesn't. it would be nice to have this feature, or an option to do this in the app.
Overall, the b1w is working well for the last 3 days of use.
I understand that auto-flip will be implemented on future versions - there's no orientation sensor in the current B1W. But I agree that an option to flip the video in the app would be welcome.

How can you lock a video that you want to save without using your phone?

Back