Brand New DR500-HD "The Model Information Is Different"

xlur8ed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gentlemen/Ladies,

As my first post in this forums, I will start by introducing myself. My name is Jason and I work/live in North Dakota. I manage a shop that sells and installs all sorts of speed parts, and electronics. I recently ordered a Blackvue DR500GW-HD to test the operation and function, in hopes of carrying the product in my store. I can tell you, it has been an extremely frustrating few hours, and I am now left hoping someone can offer me some insight into how to get this Blackvue operational.

I have hooked up the backup power supply (I forget the name, but basically allows the camera to continue recording until voltage drops below 12.0v or 11.8v OR for a continued amount of time), as well as the camera, and to start (before every powering up the Camera), updated the SD card to the latest English firmware via the Blackvue site (per their instruction manual) I believe this update to be 1.011. Upon Formatting the SD Card (using the SDFormatter program) I installed the firmware, and plugged the SD card into the camera. Once I powered up the camera, 15 seconds later I get a ladies voice in English, stating 'The Model Information Is Different", and this repeats over and over and over.

So I took my information to google, and came across numerous threads about 'The Version is Different' (NOT The Model Information is Different), but after reformatting the SD card, and reloading 1.011, I decided to try the change of English to Korea, then to English, (while saving the file each time in notepad), and got nowhere. I then decided to format the SD AGAIN, and try older versions which I found via 'Hillbilly' (I believe), and tried 1.005, 1.008, and 1.009, and each time, I received the same error message. The ONLY way I was able to get the camera to say anything other than 'The Model Information is Different" was when I formatted the SD card, and didn't put ANYTHING on the sd card, and inserted it into the camera. Then I was able to get the voice to say 'Initializing', then 'starting recording'. So I let it sit in the camera recording for a few minutes, took out the SD card to go and look at the video, and there was nothing on the card. I checked the version at the time, and it was running 1.001 firmware. Wi-Fi options were 'not supported with this version' and it looked almost as if the card didn't do anything.

I am lost and frustrated, and almost saddened by the fact I cannot sell this product in my stores, as my customers are asking specifically for this camera, and I cannot retail this product and have my customers attempt to deal with this on their own....which is why I am here....in hopes someone says click your heels together and it will work by doing ________________.

Regardless I am personally invested into this purchase, and if nothing else, would like for it to work.

Please and thank you to anyone who can offer any help.

- Jason

The first bit of advice is RTFM and you would have known NOT to put anything on the card when first using the camera.

As I have said in other threads, when you first get the camera the firmware is in the camera and the card is blank.
Put it in the camera and start it up and it transfers what is needed onto the card..

By looking on the box you would see that you have a POWER MAGIC probably.

Did you take the lens cap off the camera.

What were you looking at the video on the card with.

Did you install the viewer on your PC

The Blackvue site is compromised at the moment and I wouldn't go there.

READ THE THREADS.

Where did you buy the camera from.

As far as I know ALL 500GW have WIFI. Mine does and it was an early Korean version which now runs 1.009 English

Wow. If helping others isn't your forte, why do you even contribute to these forums? RTFM? Are you 10 years old?

I did read the manual, I didn't read anywhere that it stated 'Do not upgrade any firmware on SD card until you have put it in the camera first'. I read the installation manual, operation of the product, and in the last ~5 pages, it explained where to go and how to get the latest firmware. Could I have missed it? Sure, but if it is detrimental to the operation of the product, it should be listed page 1.

It is great that you mentioned in threads prior not to do anything with the SD card prior to updating it, however you once again assume I purchased one after being a long time member here? I found this forum after I had issues, and dug through PLENTY of your posts, as I stated in my original post. Stop assuming everyone is an idiot, I've installed electronics for over 20 years and manage a chain of businesses that install much more in-depth electronics than a dash camera. Power, Accessory, Ground...shouldn't be difficult for most people to have to research prior to install.

Oh you look at the box for the name brand, thanks! As I stated it was installed, box tossed, done. I didn't deem it necessary to dig in the dumpster to find the box for the purpose of being detailed in a plea for assistance. My apologies.

There wasn't a 'lens cap' on the camera out of the box, strictly a piece of thin clear plastic over the lens which was peeled off

I was looking at the supposed footage via the BlackVue software on my PC

The camera was purchased from Amazon

Yes it has wi-fi, and I was able to access that settings menu from the BlackVue software when I had version 1.008, 1.009, and 1.011 loaded on the sd card. Only when I formatted the card and inserted it into the camera, loaded whatever software was on the camera, recorded, then went back to the PC to look at footage (it showed NO recordings, so nothing to see), but the setting 'gear' in teh upper right corner was no longer clickable and stated 'not supported with this version'.

Now after all of this, I plea for nothing but helpful insight. My further searching today revealed on some forum, that Blackvue does not support any Amazon purchases, and is not an authorized dealer. Again, my goal was to use the product, test it, and hopefully become a dealer to avoid people having to order online. I have issues, and would like to figure out what I need to do to correct them, or simply just return it and seek a different company to fit the niche in my market. I do not need to be judged as an idiot, and if I made a mistake or misread somewhere, that's my fault, but don't ridicule me for it, please.

I upgraded my firmware before inserting my sd card into the camera for the first time and mine works

Are you doing this in the car or on a power supply in your house? I heard of people getting weird results by formatting/upgrading on home power supplies that don't have enough amperage.

Thanks for the replies guys.

jonpickles, that is helpful. At least I can feel somewhat comfortable knowing this is strictly a software/firmware issue, that could be potentially corrected.

TallTom, I am not exactly sure what you are asking here. This camera is being installed in a 2012 Nissan Titan. If you are wondering about formatting the sd card, I formatted the SD card using the supplied SD card adaptor from Blackvue on my work PC/USB drive, using SDFormatter software.

I think I am going to go out and purchase a new SD card, and start from scratch. Upon getting getting that SD card, I'll use that link you provided above, for a download and cross my fingers. I've always been so leery of ebay, and tell my customers to stay far away from product there, but this is my first instance of seeing Amazon as being suspect. Kind of sad, really. Let's hope all is well after the new SD card.

Thank you a lot for your help Jon!

Use the sdformater and do a full overwrite in the options......will take a while. Then try the firmware update first before wasting money on a new card. Also there is a reset button on the camera too that may help

I forgot to mention in my original post, that I did try the reset button a few different times, with no changes.

I will do a full overwrite this evening...I started doing it, but after a few minutes, and not even 1% completed, I cancelled it and called it a night.

Thank you.

Okay sorry I upset you but many just forge ahead blindly and then come on here blaming the camera.

I wonder if you got a dodgy one as the 500's come with a plastic lens cap over them when new. Unless they are further economizing and removed it.

Just because you bought it on Amazon doesn't mean you bought it FROM Amazon Always look as the sellers name will be in the listing.

I wouldn't buy an SD card from there either or Ebay as 90% are fakes.

The other thing is did you set it all up after putting it in the camera as it can take a while to get a GPS fix. W0nt do it inside.

The latest viewer is in the folder on the SD card Some of the older viewers don't work well with the later firmware.

Click on the exclamation mark at the top and it will tell you which versions you have. Did the LED's come on when you started the car up as if you have no video sounds like there is no power

Not a big deal Hillbilly, I have read so many of your informative posts, and know you meant well. As a business man that deals with people buying from the internet, then coming in and telling me how bad an intake is for their car, without realizing what they bought was garbage. I'm disappointed that I followed in their footsteps!

Moving forward, I am getting power, as the voice repeats over and over 'The model information is different" in English. When I formatted the card, the voice said 'initializing', then said 'recording video now'. I thought I had it all figured out, but then went to the computer to see if anything recorded and ended up finding no videos on the card via the software. I checked the version at that time, to see what the camera autoloaded on the freshly formatted sd card, and found it to be version 1.001. At no point could I connect to Wi-Fi, but that wasn't of concern at that point, as I wasn't even getting anything to record and would worry about Wi-Fi after I had the thing doing the bare bones.

The SD Card, Camera, and Power Magic were all purchased from Amazon, and I intend to buy a new SD card tonight just in the event the sd card was fake/junk.

I understand the workings of Amazon, and the fact I could have been purchasing from a 3rd party, but the order stated 'fulfilled by Amazon' so I assumed they would have authentic product... Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, but I'm not about to give up yet.

Lastly, I didn't set anything up after putting the sd card in the camera and powering on the camera, as I wasn't able to connect via wi-fi, nor get it to do anything other than repeat infinitely 'The model information is different'...

Just to be quick and easy, and to start fresh, I purchased a new SD card. First put it into the camera, and it initialized, then said recording (as it did last night). After 5 minutes or so, took out the sd card, brought it inside and there was no video on it again. I clicked the exclaimation point, and it said running version 1.001. So at that point, with nothing to lose, I upgraded again to 1.011, using the link provided above from jonpickles. After the update, I reopened the Blackvue software, and clicked the exclamation point again, and verified it was now running 1.011. Brought the sd card back out to the pickup, plugged it in, and here.we.go.again. "The Model Information Is Different" on repeat indefinitely.

I'm going to now assume I have a bunk camera, and will contact Amazon regarding returning the product, unless I someone has anything else I could try in the next 24 hours....

Thank you.

Hi Jason

It looks like everyone here has offered some great suggestions especially Hillbilly as usual. I am wondering if the model you have is for sure a DR500 and the firmware you have been downloading is for the right dash cam. By no means am I saying you can't read however it is an easy error and if that is it you could be up and running in minutes. Blackvue.com provides updates to both software and firmware but to find the updates for the DR500 I think it is on tab 3 since the DR500 is not the newest product. I was just on the website where I noticed models DR550 and DR530 which would not use the same firmware. Also when updating be careful not to remove the SD card after pulling the power until the lights go out. Finally when looking at the files depending on how you have your pc setup it might be a good idea to select the drive and location just to be sure you are pointed at the right directory. It happened to me once where I was pointing to the right directory according to the but wasn't seeing any files until I clicked on the drive letter again.

That is all I can think about for now.

Best of luck to you getting it running.

book.jpg lens cover.jpg
Above is lens cover and the Manual that came with my Korean version

Are you absolutely sure it s a 500GW as it sounds like something is amiss.

Normally on all my cameras when you put a card in with firmware on it, it ALWAYS says "Upgrading the Blackvue" regardless whether it is the same firmware or a newer version. NEVER EVER says anything else, it then says "Restarting the Blackvue" and turns off. It then restarts and says "Blackvue for your safe driving" and after a pause " Starting normal recording" Exactly that nothing else ever.

If it says" initializing" it is formatting the card again and will load whats in the camera onto the card.

It isn't a good idea to format in the camera or alter settings via WIFI as they don't always take.

As said above make sure the path to the card is correct. I have 6 HDD's on my PC and the USB port doesn't always show up as the same drive letter.

Sometimes SD adapters can give problems as well I use the Sandisk MicroSd to USB ones so I only have one connection.

When you load the Firmware onto the card the viewer will show whats on the card but then you should do the settings for timezone etc before putting it into the camera. Otherwise it will think its in Ireland as that's the default timezone.

If you put the card in the camera and it doesn't load the camera will still have the original firmware on it despite whats on the card.

Also as has been said on here if you have gone to 1.008 it seems you cant go back to anything earlier After you have loaded 1.011 and put it in the camera and it says initializing let it do its thing and then turn it off and put the card in the PC and then see what the viewer says is on it.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find it has the original camera firmware overwritten onto the card

Mine ONCE said wrong model was different when I inadvertently put a card in the 500 that had 350 firmware on it.

Didn't like that very much.

None of the cameras say the words "Recording video now" I have a 350 a 400 and a 500 and they all ONLY say what I wrote above.

If what you say is the actual words there is something very strange going on Like no lens cap They should have one Strange words They never say that

Last edited:
Don't know I swapped mine from Korean to English and never had it say anything other than what they all say .

Anything is possible I guess Even in Korean it still said the same thing as I had it translated

I had heard of resellers with Korean version using a modded firmware, don't know how well it does or doesn't work though

Thanks all for the help! I have gone through these thoughts as well...maybe it is a 350... Or 400, but made sure to check. ON the camera above serial number. It says DR500-HD.

I have found these commands via BlackVues site http://www.blackvue.eu/Blackvue_FAQs.php

"Starting normal recording" must be what she is saying...

And yes, I am certain the f: drive was holding the SD card, as I confirmed by accessing the card the long way via Start > Computer > F: > blackvue > etc..

Thanks for the help, but still seeking a resolution!

-Jason

Back