Car hits cyclist head-on and keeps driving

Module 79L

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Dash Cam
AT11DA, SG9665XS, G1W-H
This happened yesterday on the south bank of the Tagus river, opposite to Lisbon. The Mercedes driver started recording with his phone once he noticed the red Corsa weaving all over the road. He stopped to provide assistence to the cyclist and lost sight of the Corsa driver. The car was found abandoned this morning in a park in the nearby city of Almada.
Despite what seems to be quite a hit, the cyclist lady was ok.

Here's the complete video, along with the news (in Portuguese).
http://www.cmjornal.pt/portugal/detalhe/condutor-atropela-ciclista-de-proposito-e-foge

If only portuguese drivers were more aware of dashcams... I'm sure there are lots of things like these happening every day that go unrecorded. At least we'd have better quality footage to provide better evidence to the Police.

Tell me they got the creep.

To be honest i doubt i would drive a bicycle or a motorcycle in today's world, its simply too dangerous with all the non driving related stuff ppl do while operating a car.

Okay maybe i would in places with a elevated bicycle path, it is after all rare a car climb the curb to hit a bicyclist "up" there.
And if they would only enforce the norm of a 12 Cm tall curb all over the place that would be nice, cuz in many places here the curb might only be 2 CM tall and a car will go over that as the dumb ass i reported to the police this summer proved.

But cycling on a highway with cars doing 80 - 90 km/h wizzing by, and with drivers updating their facetwitt or whatever, no thank you.
This could also be why there is made bicycle paths along long stretches of highways here, though driving those stretches for a long while i have never seen a bicyclist there.
As this footage from today prove, on the right what they is doing is a bicycle path, now why they are just making it on this short stretch of road is unknown to me, but i figure they have to start somewhere.
The only other stretch of bicycle path in the town of Lauerbjerg is coming from the neighboring town of Langå ( about 5 Km to the left of where i am driving here ) and must be a part of the national bicycle grid.
The cycle path from Laurbjerg to langå do look like that stretch of bicycle path is put on top of a old railroad track.

Too bad one is now too old :(, the Danish national bicycle grid do look good if you want to push pedals and take in the better parts of our little country.

"Denmark is a country made for cyclists. The country is criss-crossed by over 12,000km of sign-posted cycle routes, taking you through gentle terrain and inspirational nature. There are short distances between sites and amenities and lots of opportunities to stop off and recharge your batteries."

(...) its simply too dangerous with all the non driving related stuff ppl do while operating a car.
In many cases I would even call driving a "non-driving related" thing. :confused:

Over here, the driver filming this would get a huge fine, points on his licence and a long driving ban for using a mobile phone whilst driving.
If they ever caught the corsa driver, he'd probably get 3 points for not watching where he was going.o_O
Such is the British justice system.:rolleyes:

Back