CDV300 Series Firmware

I did a test where I took the Cambox video and put it through Adobe Premier Pro to reduce the output to 22Mpbs, the result was a very good and non-grainy video. Basically it averaged the information to something that doesn't look so bad to the human eye. So the information is all there and your not losing quality, albeit it looks 'grainy'.
Did someone already try AFT software to reduce bitrate of Cambox firmware from 25 to 22Mpbs? I would like to try but I do not understand how to use this tool: there are only .class files without .exe file. As you said, best way should be to mix quality of both Cambox and SG firmawares into the same ultimate firmware...

Along to my first tests, only the SG firmware allows the date & time to be set by the way of GPS data information, and time is always wrong with others. Did I miss something to activate such a function?

And what is about date & time settings via GPS (which seems to be active only with SG)?

Well, that was quite disappointing. The image quality from the Street Guardian firmware was by far the best, but half of today's journeys were lost due to file corruption, and the battery management was pretty awful (last file of each trip always lost). Oh well, for me stability is pretty important for a dashcam, so I will be switching back to the Cambox version for now. On the plus side, I think I have to give Street Guardian a bit of credit here: I always felt they were simply re-branding cheap dashcams, but the difference in image quality from using their firmware shows that there's something more going on. That makes them seem a real contender for my future dollars, especially if it means I'm not acting as an unwilling alpha tester for a new product.

Well, that was quite disappointing. The image quality from the Street Guardian firmware was by far the best, but half of today's journeys were lost due to file corruption, and the battery management was pretty awful (last file of each trip always lost). Oh well, for me stability is pretty important for a dashcam, so I will be switching back to the Cambox version for now. On the plus side, I think I have to give Street Guardian a bit of credit here: I always felt they were simply re-branding cheap dashcams, but the difference in image quality from using their firmware shows that there's something more going on. That makes them seem a real contender for my future dollars, especially if it means I'm not acting as an unwilling alpha tester for a new product.

I haven't looked at the current hardware version but there have been some changes that probably render our version unsuitable now, I'd only suggest trying it for experimental purposes, you never know if someone with the skills gets hold of it they might be able to use our video config and apply it to the version that suits your hardware

That makes them seem a real contender for my future dollars, especially if it means I'm not acting as an unwilling alpha tester for a new product.
You are not the first person who have to learnt it the hard way.
My rules now are never pre-order new dashcam model. And when it is released never be the first batch of buyers, better to wait for a month for guinea pigs' feedback before deciding whether to buy or not.

Hi CDV300X owners,
After having testing the three firmwares (TCL, Cambox and SG), only the last one allows the unit to be synchronized with GPS data while two first ones do not automatically set the date and time... Do you encounter such an issue (wrong date & time) with TCL or Cambox firmwares or did I miss something in parameters settings? Why only SG seems to update time???
Thank you.

SG (Street Guardian) has talented Ambarella and Novatek firmware engineers that really know their stuff. If the hardware was solid the innovation would have continued.

Jokiin and Pier28, what is about firmware updates and product warranty when buying SG9565GC from amazon?
Do you plan to write GPS coordinates and speed data into video records in near future (thanks to next firmware updates)?
Thanks

Firmware updates and feature enhancements will be plentiful. 1 year friendly warranty with over-the-top customer service and support. GPS enhancements are on the wish list. PM me for more.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your prompt answer.
How to be advised and where to find such new firmware update when available?

I am living in France.
Thanks for the link but price is not the same: 199USD (amazon) vs 239€ (hiniko).
If it is not possible for me to buy this item from amazon.com, I will keep my CDV instead

I am living in France.
Thanks for the link but price is not the same: 199USD (amazon) vs 239€ (hiniko).
If it is not possible for me to buy this item from amazon.com, I will keep my CDV instead

Ask him for a DashCamTalk member discount.

199USD means average 177€. I am not sure that DashCamTalk member discount may reach 239-177=62€

199USD means average 177€. I am not sure that DashCamTalk member discount may reach 239-177=62€

Send me a PM ( personal message ). This week I can give a discout code.

Send me a PM ( personal message ). This week I can give a discout code.
Very nice of you to provide discount for SG9665GC. Here in Australia, I have looked at a couple of local suppliers and they provide zero discount :(

Back