Compatible Micro SD Cards

b166er

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let's have a list of working mico SD cards with your mini 0801 to help each others and new owners in getting the "right cards" instead of "blindly" buying and trying out which card works and which doesn't.

I'll start the ball rolling:

givoe:
GPS,
8gb,
fw 20130922

working cards:
toshiba 4gb class 4,
sandisk 16gb class 10
*note that the above 2 cards were in my mini 0801 for weeks with no errors, 100% working.

problematic cards:
samsung 32gb class 6

Sandisk 32GB Class 4 and Class 10 cards both bombed out for me.

My Samsung 32GB Class 6 card has been rock solid for over a week. It's for sure full and in recycle mode.

Based on what I've read the last few months, I thought Samsung was the most stable choice since they have prime material choices being a main supplier to other manufactures.

E-PRANCE bundles Samsung microSD cards with their 0801 products.

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...r-dvr-a-k-a-mini-0801.1001/page-92#post-34242
Samsung I've had great results with, kind of figure as a memory manufacturer its possible they favor their own supply chain with the best quality product
absolutely correct. Every company keep the best technology/components on own-brand products.

SDRAM chip/wafer vendors: SAMSUNG, Micron, Infineon, Hynix, NEC, Hitachi, Nanya, ELPIDA, Mosel Vitelic, Powerchip, Winbond, Oki;
SDRAM packaging brands: KingMax, Kingston, ADATA/VDATA, Apacer, TwinMOS

Last edited by a moderator:

My Samsung 32GB Class 6 card has been rock solid for over a week. It's for sure full and in recycle mode.

Based on what I've read the last few months, I thought Samsung was the most stable choice since they have prime material choices being a main supplier to other manufactures.

E-PRANCE bundles Samsung microSD cards with their 0801 products.

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...r-dvr-a-k-a-mini-0801.1001/page-92#post-34242
perhaps you can also mention your fw and where your set is from (eprance or give)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Genuine Samsung cards have worked well for me too, thats 16gb class 6, and 32gb class 6 cards, I also have 3 Samsung 32gb class 10 and though not tested for many weeks like the others, the few days I did use them in my 3 0801 camera's also produced no issues.

A Sanddisk 32gb class 10 also seemed to work okay, but again.. not tested for weeks, just a day or so.

The only card that ever gave me a write error was a Transend 32gb class 10, checking revealed it had a corrupted sector, and once it had a full format to map the bad sector out AFAIK it seems fine, however the only one's thats had a real good thorough testing ...in that they have been in use for almost 2 months, with one camera running almost constantly as home security camera is the Samsung class 6 cards. No doubt many of the others are as robust too.

Note. there are an aweful lot of Samsung counterfeit cards, and probably other makes too so try and buy from somewhere reputable, like Amazon, but be wary of the Amazon Market Trader deals. Try and order from Amazon themselves. There is no doubt that some same brand cards and specs don't always produce the same stable reliable results, even though they look the same, as there are some very good counterfeits out there.

Last edited:

Me too, on an e-prance GPS/non-8GB Mini 0801. I haven't found one that works yet. The non-UHS-1 Samsung Class 6 is currently out of stock and $38.57 on Amazon. Affiliates have it in stock for ~ $30, but there are many warnings to buy only direct from Amazon due to clones. Ah newegg has it for a reasonable price. I'm going to have quite a collection soon. I hope Amazon will take some of these back.

as reported in the "main" thread, disabling the audio recording will eradicate the "low speed card" or "storage IO error" issues.
video recording (without audio) now works for my samsung 32gb class 6.

will monitor for the next few days to make sure.

Givoe supply with GPS, no internal memory, Firmware 20130913.
Samsung 32gb class 6 from Amazon, checked and passed test h2testw.exe.
Card 3/4 full now reporting "Low memory speed - I/O error" every time it is switched on.
Now going to try a no name 32GB card and will report back ASAP

There doesn't seem to be any sensible patten here, trouble is it takes a long time to allow recordings to get to the point were errors start to appear.
I have now got a bigger collection of micro SD cards than Amazon, and all seem to work for a time but eventually something goes wrong.
Is it the cards or some other unknown factor that kicks in? (Maybe the weather) ;)

Givoe supply with GPS, no internal memory, Firmware 20130913.
Samsung 32gb class 6 from Amazon, checked and passed test h2testw.exe.
Card 3/4 full now reporting "Low memory speed - I/O error" every time it is switched on.
Now going to try a no name 32GB card and will report back ASAP

There doesn't seem to be any sensible patten here, trouble is it takes a long time to allow recordings to get to the point were errors start to appear.
I have now got a bigger collection of micro SD cards than Amazon, and all seem to work for a time but eventually something goes wrong.
Is it the cards or some other unknown factor that kicks in? (Maybe the weather) ;)
try disabling audio recording for your samsung 32gb class 6.
its working for me beyond the 3/4 capacity.

we are starting to see some pattern here:
the mini 0801 with firmwares prior to october has high storage error rate when recording beyond 24gb.
weird thing is that disabling audio will work - i wonder if this applies to a class 10 card?
some has 32gb cards working flawlessly though.

please correct my observations if any of you think otherwise.

i guess when we report the issues back to the sellers (givoe/eprance) it will be easier for them to duplicate the issue and solve the bugs in the firmware.
keep your reports coming in folks!

Another thing that users often overlook, just because we all appear to have the same camera does not mean the internal hardware specs are the same, these camera's are made by 4 or more different factories in China, with the likely result that some camera's use higher quality components and possibly better design than some others, which may explain why some users get different reliability results than others. Sadly there's no external method of identifying where they were made.

I'm happy for you. From my perspective, I think the FAQ should be updated- here is the text I recommend.

"This DashCam is NOT recommended, too unstable, Alpha level hardware. We cannot find a consistent combination of OEM, model, seller, settings, and microSD card that works everyone that owns the combination."

I'm happy for you. From my perspective, I think the FAQ should be updated- here is the text I recommend.

"This DashCam is NOT recommended, too unstable, Alpha level hardware. We cannot find a consistent combination of OEM, model, seller, settings, and microSD card that works everyone that owns the combination."

I do understand how you feel, but the fact is there are many users who have received good mini 0801 camera's who rarely get any trouble, I have 3 of them, out of the 3, 2 have given no trouble at all, and have been working great for over 6 weeks, the other one...my first camera has had a few minor issues, mainly related to a poor mini usb connection, and that 1st one has been running almost constantly as a cheap home security camera for over 2 months 24/7.

It is unfortunate that it does appear to be pot luck when your buying these camera's, whether it warrants a complete "Do Not Buy" in the Faq is up to the person who maintains the FAQ, . Perhaps a warning that some of these camera's (depending on which Chinese factory produced it I suspect) can have issues, such as yours and many others. I have no idea why some are trouble free while others have issues other than the factory source where the seller gets his stock from.

The only course of action if one gets a bad mini 0801 camera, which cannot be resolved is to return it and demand a upto date replacement, and hope you have better luck with it's replacement...or demand a refund.

I also bought a Mio 368, which is quite a large Taiwan Manufacturer and is well known for their satnavs, it cost more than double the price of the mini 0801, but it's 100% reliable, and the build quality is very good, and I've no doubt it will last a very long time because the manufacturer has chosen to use better components and better quality control, but not everyone would want to pay £162 which is what I paid for it... and sadly it's not quite as discreet either due to its suction mount.

There is no doubt these mini 0801 camera's are built down to a price, but it would seem some are worse than others, and the only possible reason I can logically see for that is because they are from different Chinese factories.

Last edited:

"This DashCam is NOT recommended, too unstable, Alpha level hardware.…"

Well, I did have trouble with the 09-24 firmware (cam wouldn’t auto-start occasionally, plus I/O errors), but it does run fine with the earlier 08-23 version referenced here:

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/heres-a-ts-firmware.2961/

Which would suggest that, at least in my case, the problem doesn’t reside in the hardware.

Well, I did have trouble with the 09-24 firmware (cam wouldn’t auto-start occasionally, plus I/O errors), but it does run fine with the earlier 08-23 version referenced here:

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/heres-a-ts-firmware.2961/

Which would suggest that, at least in my case, the problem doesn’t reside in the hardware.

AAMOI what's the approx bitrate it's writing the .TS files at ? if you right click on the video file, and click properties then click details it will tell you, though I'm sure your'e probably aware how to check ;-) It's the first Data Rate figure as you go down the list of details.

AAMOI what's the approx bitrate it's writing the .TS files at ? if you right click on the video file, and click properties then click details it will tell you, though I'm sure your'e probably aware how to check ;-) It's the first Data Rate figure as you go down the list of details.
Thanks, but I’m on a Mac. :) I looked at a recent file, the bitrate is 15,13 Mbit/s according to the Quicktime Inspector. File size of a 5 minute loop with audio is around 582.5 MB. This will be slightly different on a PC because a Mac Megabyte is 1000KByte vs. the traditional 1024.

cheers... its actually higher bit rate than I thought it would be. The .Mov firmwares tend to write at approx 17200kbps which is pretty high as far as dashcams go, and I was wondering whether the success with .TS files might be down to the fact it writes at a slightly slower speed and therefore cause less problems.. just grabbing at straws really..lol

When one has no other idea's it's worth exploring every possibility. ;-)

It has now been nore tha several days on the samsung 32gb class 6. I can now safely say that turning off mic fixes

1) auto shutdown
2) low speed card
3) storage io error

However im hoping the latest 1026 fw already fixed these issues.

Just got my Mini 0801 last weekend and been using the Sandisk Ultra 32GB Class 10 with no issues

I have a SanDisk 16GB Class 4 that works flawlessly. It is a card I also use in my Midland XTC-200 helmet cam.

Back