COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Lord! What a bizarre alarmist notion!

Nobody is interested in the extinction of cows, just a dramatic reduction of their numbers for meat production and less harm to the environment. They will still be used for world wide dairy production.
What are you going to do with all the male cows?

O we must never let vegans have a say, it is okay they exist but they can never even have a say, if they do we are screwed.
I saw something interesting, but not as much that i read it, but it seem like in the future all manner of interesting things will be grown in the lab.

The cows will probably end up on Mars, just like us other studs. :)

Good Lord! What a bizarre alarmist notion!

Nobody is interested in the extinction of cows, just a dramatic reduction of their numbers for meat production and less harm to the environment. They will still be used for world wide dairy production.

Edit: There will no doubt still be some meat produced by cattle for some time to come, if not forever.

Come to think of it cows are a widely prized by many African tribes as a source of wealth and for their many uses, including the production of dung. This will likely remain so for a very long time.
Cows will also likely remain sacred in India. But in the scheme of things this is negligible and not at all like agribusiness which is the real environmental culprit in regard to beef production both for the destruction of forests and vast increases in methane emissions.
In the 1950's there was an invention that made milk without cows. In was in popular science or popular mechanics at the time. I believe it was invented in Switzerland.

Someone has made milk without cows recently.

What are you going to do with all the male cows?
Several years back when the farmer next door was alive and the price for young bulls was way down he hit them between the eyes. It was less expensive to dispatch the young bulls then hauling them to market to sell.

I do. One bull can take care of hundreds if not thousands of cows especially when artificial insemination is used.

Yes, that's exactly right.! I've worked on a cattle ranch in Wyoming and here in Vermont I'm surrounded by dairy farms, so I know a thing or two about "cows" too. The average dairy farm in Vermont has about 170 cows and maybe one or two bulls if that and maybe a steer or two or three for family meat consumption or small scale local beef distribution.

@Nigel shows that he knows little about cattle when he claims that bio-engineered meat:
will lead to the extinction of cows

Meat doesn't come from cows. Cows are dairy animals. Beef comes from steers, sometime heifers before they have calves and veal calves. Bulls are used for breeding but not for meat production.

Several years back when the farmer next door was alive and the price for young bulls was way down he hit them between the eyes. It was less expensive to dispatch the young bulls then hauling them to market to sell.

Yes, bulls are often culled from dairy operations.

Yes, that's exactly right.! I've worked on a cattle ranch in Wyoming and here in Vermont I'm surrounded by dairy farms, so I know a thing or two about "cows" too. The average dairy farm in Vermont has about 170 cows and maybe one or two bulls if that and maybe a steer or two or three for family meat consumption or small scale local beef distribution.

@Nigel shows that he knows little about cattle when he claims that bio-engineered meat:

Meat doesn't come from cows. Cows are dairy animals. Beef comes from steers, sometime heifers before they have calves and veal calves. Bulls are used for breeding but not for meat production.
Old milk cows often become hamburger, but that is all they are good for.

Old milk cows often become hamburger, but that is all they are good for.

Uggh, I know. I have a few stories to tell about old cows out on the cattle ranch in Wyoming that I helped butcher. They tasted like crap from eating knapweed out on the range after they were put out to pasture after their time as productive dairy cows had come to an end. The burger they produced was for the ranch hands like me. I remember the mean, really, really ugly ranch dog running around and around us with a cow's stiffened tail in its mouth while we sawed the carcass into sides of beef hanging from a tractor bucket out in the barn yard.

Last edited:
Beef comes from steers
We don't have such things here!

The word "cow" is generally used as the the singular of cattle, and your steer is known as a bullock. A female that produces milk is either a milk cow, dairy cow, or house cow depending.

I think we have more beef cows these days than dairy cows.
Maybe that should be beef cattle in England, probably depends on which part of England, when I was on a beef farm they were known as gwartheg.

It would be sad to see them all disappear, replaced by labs!

Last edited:

The word "cow" is generally used as the the singular of cattle, and your steer is known as a bullock. A female that produces milk is either a milk cow, dairy cow, or house cow depending.

I think we have more beef cows these days than dairy cows.
Maybe that should be beef cattle in England, probably depends on which part of England, when I was on a beef farm they were known as gwartheg.

Here the word cow means:

1. The mature female of cattle of the genus Bos.
2. The mature female of certain other large animals, such as elephants, moose, or whale.

Gwartheg is a unique word you don't hear too often. Apparently an old Welsh term.

A steer used to be a bull. The difference between a steer and bull is a bull has balls, while a steer does not. That procedure is used to encourage the steer to produce more meat and to be calmer by removing uhmmm... other biological processes.

What do you mean by "unique"?
You do sometimes hear it used?
I have never heard Gwartheg used. It must be a local UK phrase.

The correct phrasiology for "cows" to include both sexes is "Bovine" but everyone just says cows, or critters without considering they are ignoring the bulls.

Waguy :p
I am up for trying it again soon.

I was lucky. Zalau, the town I was in in Romania jas gone into total lockdown. Police have blocked off the town and no one in allowed in or out.
I was planning to stay there until 8/11 but left 10 days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back