COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vietnam detects hybrid of Indian and UK COVID-19 variants

every new variant has claimed to be more transmissible or deadlier than previous by some huge percentage which later gets revised, good to be cautious but it does seem there's a tendency to overexaggerate any new outbreak

every new variant has claimed to be more transmissible or deadlier than previous by some huge percentage which later gets revised, good to be cautious but it does seem there's a tendency to overexaggerate any new outbreak

You can minimize this all you like but the facts do indeed show that these new variants are more contagious.

Stuart Ray, M.D., vice chair of medicine for data integrity and analytics, and Robert Bollinger, M.D., M.P.H., Raj and Kamla Gupta professor of infectious diseases, are experts in SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. They talk about what is known about these new variants, and answer questions and concerns you may have.

“Researchers have preliminary evidence that some of the new variants, including B.1.1.7, seem to bind more tightly to our cells”. “This appears to make some of these new strains ‘stickier’ due to changes in the spike protein."

"“There are 17 genetic changes in the B.1.1.7 variant from England,” There’s some preliminary evidence that this variant is more contagious. Scientists noticed a surge of cases in areas where the new strain appeared.”

"Some of these mutations enable the coronavirus to spread faster from person to person, and more infections can result in more people getting very sick or dying. In addition, there is preliminary evidence from Britain that some variants could be associated with more severe disease."

The new variant from Vietnam is a hybrid and appears to be very contagious and especially deadly in a laboratory settings but as the reports have indicated it remains to be seen how it affects the general population. Doesn't look good so far.

Vietnam has done a remarkable job up until recently in suppressing the COVID virus among their population with only about 7100 cases total so far. Unfortunately, a huge percentage of those cases have happened only recently and this sudden spike appears to confirm a much more contagious variant in their midst. This was the reason their health agency has been scrambling to get a handle on what is going and the discovery of this new variant was the result of those investigations.

vietnam.jpg

Last edited:
You can minimize this all you like but the facts do indeed show that these new variants are more contagious.
not trying to minimise anything, just stating how things initially get reported in the media, versus how they eventually have panned out, maybe your local media is not as bad but they are particularly bad at it here

not trying to minimise anything, just stating how things initially get reported in the media, versus how they eventually have panned out, maybe your local media is not as bad but they are particularly bad at it here

Frankly, it does seem like you are minimizing what has been reported about the variants, but at any rate, John's Hopkins University School of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins Hospital and the CDC who have been releasing their findings are not the "media". Perhaps you should avoid getting your information from your local tabloids.

Got my first jab yesterday, which took place on the local hospital, allowing me to find out that my intense dislike for that place have not gotten better over the years.
I was extremely on edge when i finally got out of there after 30 minutes, and not even me being a gentleman and letting several women go in before me made me happier.
And the Bastards only squirted some PB into me, i mean come on, Me ! The best little Dane around, someone like me deserve only the best. :mad:

I don't particularly subscribe to the "escaped from the lab in Wuhan" theory but the fact that the virus may have shown up in the sewers in Spain or Italy doesn't preclude it from getting transmitted or flushed down the toilet by a lab worker in Wuhan months prior. What we do know is that similar virus outbreaks in China began at wet markets. As a location of previous viral outbreaks there is a reason they sited that lab in Wuhan.

that's not the first report of the same, there are reports that it was detected in waste water samples from Italy prior to the outbreak in China also
France detected some too, but I think Spain is the earliest so far. Given the amount of immunity to the China variant in places like Vietnam and Thailand, it seems likely that there was a lot about in some places well before Wuhan, but maybe of a variant that wasn’t quite as infectious or deadly.

Until we got a test that identified it, cases and deaths were recorded as unidentified influenza, including in the UK, the difference in Wuhan was that the hospitals filled up, so the experts investigated and developed a test. Maybe it is believed to have started in Wuhan because that was the first place with a significant outbreak that also happened to have experts capable of identifying it and developing a test - it was the first place with a lab.

Which doesn't make sense of the Chinese being deliberately awkward when WHO were trying to investigate.

Which doesn't make sense of the Chinese being deliberately awkward when WHO were trying to investigate.
The Chinese authorities, especially in Beijing, had no more idea of what would be found than you did. Nobody likes being investigated when they don’t know the outcome.

I'd think it odd if it wasn't in wastewater: Person picks up Covid on hand by touch. Person washes hands without soap in bathroom, Covid goes down drain (hopefully all of it). No-brainer but I guess "science" has to test for it and verify it before they can accept the fact :rolleyes: Essentially everything is found in wastewater.

I'm sure that China has biological labs doing improper things, just as I am sure that every major nation does :( It's a natural part of military defense to know what can possibly be a weapon used against you so you can stay a step ahead in finding how to defend against it. Treaties and agreements will never stop this kind of thing, only drive it 'underground'. And by the time any investigation happens there's ample time to 'clean up' any potential evidence. The best that could be accomplished as far as evidence goes is circumstantial only, and we generally hold that as not being enough to make a conviction.

Investigation or not and proof or not, the only possible outcome is either China being exonerated or a stalemate- nobody is going to start a war over this and economic sanctions are of little to no impact on any super-power nation, and in this case would hurt those creating the sanctions more than those they are applied against :eek: So pursuing this line is useless save for giving the half-brained extremists something else to rant and rave about in an attempt to justify their stupid positions. It;'s worth a look but not worth putting large efforts into when the same amount of effort can be bring positive results elsewhere.

I think we should focusing mostly on whether these diseases come to us through animals, how that occurs, and whether there's anything we can do to stop those animals from getting the diseases in the first place since that in itself would prevent the rest. The best solution to every problem is to find the core issue which is causing it and to fix it there :cool:

Phil

Out of 1 million filly vaccinated Danes, 971 of them still managed to cough up a positive test for corona.
Thats still fairly low i think, not least with the decease still "raging"

Out of 1 million filly vaccinated Danes, 971 of them still managed to cough up a positive test for corona.
Thats still fairly low i think, not least with the decease still "raging"
Vaccination won't stop you catching it, will stop you getting very sick though

Yeah knew that, it is also a very small number, so should not be a problem as more and more get vaccinated.

Vaccination won't stop you catching it, will stop you getting very sick though
Depends what you mean by catch it, you can test positive on PCR testing just by breathing some in, even if it is then instantly killed by your antibodies. After 6 to 12 months your antibodies disappear and you need a slight infection, possibly with minor symptoms, before more antibodies are created. With most diseases that is not normally considered as having caught it, but will certainly show up positive on PCR testing.

By waste water they mean sewage, just sounds better I guess
There is a technical difference, waste water can include drainage of rain water etc. as well as the sewage. In some places they are kept seperate, here we normally mix them immediately. Sewage is what comes from toilets, doesn't technically include what comes from the kitchen sink.

Here the 2 dont mix, which is why you can now swim in almost every harbor here.
Seem very popular in my birth town of Aarhus, so not a place for me.

When i was a kid / teen, it was a whole other ballgame here, and you might have to dodge "stuff" while swimming in some places.
And swimming was not allowed in harbor back then, and you would not be eating any fish you caught in a harbor.

The sewage, it must be vigorously cleaned here, actually every plant even get a few grams of pure gold out of that every year.
The other pipes they are drain pipes, and it is still not recommended you go street swimming when we get severe rainfall and the drainpipes can not deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back