COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have seen it on the menu in restaurants, not that common though, have seen it for sale in supermarkets in China, haven't seen it here, have never tried it so not sure what it's like

I've tried it. It was ok but nothing special on the culinary front and it was a lot tougher than advertised.

I tried a slice of a whale steak, and i was like NOPE :sick: when i spit it out.
Greenlanders on the crap factory ship also lured me into tasting one of the crabs,,,,, also a big NOPE only seafood i do love are shrimp, and i am OK with Lobster too.
But i am usually open about trying new stuff, but most often it will be a mistake to order a whole plate in my name.
Again and again i go Oooo yes to new strong chilies, and again and again i regret it if not on the day then a few days after. :) and i still eat a lot of the stuff, only 1 in 10 pizzas i order are not covered in chili.
But it is the ordinary jalapenos and they don't rank that high on the scoville scale,,,, i call them kids chilies, cuz what we put on the grill at my friends place are more severe.

It's my understanding that our UK government is not trying to prevent us all from contracting coronavirus. Instead, they actually want us to get it, albeit not all at the same time, so we can develop 'herd immunity'.
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/herd-immunity-will-the-uks-coronavirus-strategy-work

"To reach herd immunity, about 60% of the population would need to get ill and become immune, according to Sir Patrick Vallance, the government’s chief scientific adviser."

The UK Government will follow suit.
Trump has just declared the state of emergency...

All countries are going through the same pattern, after making exactly the same mistakes trying to resist and simply crossing the fingers. It did and it does not work.
Nobody can resist the pressure of exponential growth.

It's my understanding that our UK government is not trying to prevent us all from contracting coronavirus. Instead, they actually want us to get it, albeit not all at the same time, so we can develop 'herd immunity'.
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/herd-immunity-will-the-uks-coronavirus-strategy-work

"To reach herd immunity, about 60% of the population would need to get ill and become immune, according to Sir Patrick Vallance, the government’s chief scientific adviser."

With the 3.4% mortality rate thats about 1.4 million deaths! And no one knows for sure whether you become immune after catching it..

The UK Government will follow suit.
Trump has just declared the state of emergency...

All countries are going through the same pattern, after making exactly the same mistakes trying to resist and simply crossing the fingers. It did and it does not work.

I don't hold out hope the UK will do anything. One good thing is that pretty much every major event is getting postponed or cancelled, even though the government said it would not ban mass gatherings.

You've probably all seen this by now:

Last edited:
China has, but it's left them in a really bad situation, everything locked down, low infection numbers, but they don't dare unlock anything because it will just start up again!

Four stage strategy .
Funny as hell, though it also very much appear that it is actually that way our countries are run.

And no one knows for sure whether you become immune after catching it..
there have been a couple of cases in China of people that have been cleared of it that got sick again and then died, not sure about how immune you would become, some people have shown permanent lung damage afterwards also, not catching it still sounds like a better option

not catching it still sounds like a better option
That's my preference. Some people here actually want to get it now, and then get back to normal life ASAP

In Chinese "a couple" mean a few 1000

With the 3.4% mortality rate thats about 1.4 million deaths! And no one knows for sure whether you become immune after catching it..
It's not 3.4%. Possibly 1/10th of that, which would only be 3 years of bad flu, but probably a lot better than that. Look at Denmark, where the death rate is 0%, because they were largely people on skiing holidays instead of cruise ship holidays. (They were healthy people, not people in the last few years of their natural lives, or past the end of their natural lives, kept alive by annual flu vaccines.)

Last edited:
some people have shown permanent lung damage afterwards also, not catching it still sounds like a better option
If you are elderly or a smoker then yes, you want to avoid it, but for most people it does not affect lungs. The lung problems are a result of pneumonia when your lungs are damaged by your own immune system, exactly the same as with flu.

We need most people to get it and become immune or will never end, unless we get a vaccine, but currently we don't have vaccines for any of the common coronaviruses, so that may be years away.

Madness! It's like saying, "screw the elderly, the frail and the immune compromised! Who needs them anyway?"

What is worse about such a strategy is that there is some evidence that even if you come down with COVID-19 and recover certain patients may become infected all over again! There is a great deal of uncertainty about this particular strain of corona virus.

People can get the coronavirus more than once, experts warn — recovering does not necessarily make you immune

Madness! It's like saying, "screw the elderly, the frail and the immune compromised! Who needs them anyway?"
You can't keep the elderly isolated from everyone else forever, the sooner the overall population develops enough immunity for the virus to die out, the safer the elderly will be in the long run. There is no option for killing the virus off completely other than for the population as a whole to develop enough immunity, the only other option for protecting the elderly is to do as Wuhan has and close everything down forever.

well no politician would ever say that, but he might imply something that the listener may or may not think he is implying in relation to that topic.
Here if you purged those people, it would just about make for a nice pay increase and a pension uplift for all from level 12 civil servants and up to the PM.

I think they even call these people the elderly burden,,,,,, so clearly these former tax payers who have broken their backs to make this great country, well they better be grateful until the plug is pulled on them.
And of course they don't just pull the plug like ( snap fingers ) they do it slowly with less care, hospital waiting lists, and so on, you cant for the love of god make as if it appear to be intentional.

China chose isolation, no hosts, nowhere for the virus to go, it is inconvenient, it doesn't take forever though

About every two weeks I go to Sam's to pick up consumables; water, toilet paper, kleenex, etc. I went today. The meat coolers were empty. The water aisle was empty. The paper aisle (toilet, towel, and kleenex) was empty. MANY products were completely gone. I've never seen anything like this in my life. People have gone completely nuts. I couldn't even buy my preferred toothpaste! They were completely out of stock. The store was jampacked with people in every aisle, filling carts with whatever was left.

I ended up getting about half the items on my list because the rest were out of stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back