CPL Status

I noticed two "dimples" one on top on on bottom - I guess newer A119 will have corresponding notches on lens assembly.

yes updated lens housings have notches that the filters will clip into

Quality feels good (maybe even better than SG CPL)

I should hope so, it's our tooling

No, I'm sure two layers of glass on a proper CPL. One fixed, one rotating.

Maybe there's a plain piece of glass in the mount which screws to the lens?

That might be to make it easier to rotate the front filter element using the usual knurled outer ring, so as to compensate for rotation of the lens body to focus.

Anyhow... @viofo - is the A119's linear or circular?
As we have been told by the CPL factory, there are 2 glasses, it is assembled in factory, so it is a little difficult for production.

vlcsnap-2016-10-23-Without CPL.jpg vlcsnap-2016-10-23- With CPL.jpg Thanks for the sample @viofo. Just fitted it and captured a couple of stills, here are the results. Looks like the CPL gets rid of the dash reflections very well.
The small clips top and bottom means the filter is not a very secure fit on my camera. OK for newer production camera with corresponding slots but where does that leave us early adopters with existing cameras? I'll come back with further comments when I've tried it on the road.

We'll have to come up with a creative way to secure the CPL better to existing cameras that don't have the re-tooled lens housing slots new production cameras will have. 3M EVA/VHB/other?

We'll have to come up with a creative way to secure the CPL better to existing cameras that don't have the re-tooled lens housing slots new production cameras will have. 3M EVA/VHB/other?

low tech is probably the answer, a small dot of Blu-tack where the tabs are on the filter housing will hold it in place on the older housings, I've had it like this for 5 weeks and it hasn't moved

low tech is probably the answer, a small dot of Blu-tack where the tabs are on the filter housing will hold it in place on the older housings, I've had it like this for 5 weeks and it hasn't moved

Seems easy enough.

"Blu Tack Reusable Adhesive Bostik Blu Tack is a handy putty-like reusable adhesive"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B001FGLX72
88108e3939cf022e91df26200c32f911.png

8bfed4e870c70b5eabb554507f3196c5.png

Competitor "LOCTITE fun-tak" is only $2 USD at Target and on eBay. For some reason Blu Tack isn't readily available and is expensive in the USA

The adhesive on the EVA pads you guys include with the GC is extremely sticky, getting the glue off the lens housing if needed will be messy. Four 2x2mm or slightly bigger VHB pieces should work well.

actually the Blu-Tack just goes on the inside edge of the filter where the clips are and can't be seen once installed so the colour doesn't matter for this particular application
Does this allow for easy on and off?

Does this allow for easy on and off?

relatively yes, not as easy as the housing with the clips of course but I think you'll find that the filter is not excessively dark and people will likely leave it on all the time anyway

Apart from changes to the filter holder, are there any changes to the glass filter itself compared to the current SG CPL?

relatively yes, not as easy as the housing with the clips of course but I think you'll find that the filter is not excessively dark and people will likely leave it on all the time anyway

I leave my CPL on 24/7. GC Night performance is still good.

...also, don't forget to check if it will fit between lens housing and screen!...

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 21.24.10.png

Having removed the original grey 3M tape (in photo above) from the non-GPS mount and replaced with thinner black tape it looks like my bare lens housing is now touching the screen. If CPL housing goes in front of lens housing Viofo will need to supply a dummy (empty) GPS mount with the CPL to give enough space to mount the CPL.

See: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...aviduks-a119-odyssey.21981/page-5#post-290637

either that or viofo and street guardian should file down the top edge of the filter housing so that it won't contact the windshield when the lens is at that angle.

we are doing a slightly thicker bracket for ours

The obvious solution. Just add in mini-USB sockets x3 at top, left, and right, and Viofo have a winning "CPL+Multi USB mount". :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G A119 4
Back