Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-HD]

Re: Custom Firmware for DR500GW-HD | Higher bitrate | No sta

ABT4 said:
Hillbilly said:
Yes but format the SD card before loading the new files to make it nice and clean

Yea I just purchased a new 32gb card to test with. Should I format using the unit?

I think it's best to use this guiformat.exe app, even for smaller cards. The cluster size effects performance and capacity.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=607&start=40#p13805

Dscheng said:
Ya.. i am running at 64GB class 10. The exact storage is 59GB. My cam is recording at 12mpbs, can capture 10 over + hour. So far so good.
But remember to format the 64Gb card to FAT file system set as 32KB cluster.
http://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=DQ3 ... VARKCpQ%3D

Last edited by a moderator:

JazJon said:
ABT4 said:
Hillbilly said:
Yes but format the SD card before loading the new files to make it nice and clean

Yea I just purchased a new 32gb card to test with. Should I format using the unit?

I think it's best to use this guiformat.exe app, even for smaller cards. The cluster size effects performance and capacity.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=607&start=40#p13805

Dscheng said:
Ya.. i am running at 64GB class 10. The exact storage is 59GB. My cam is recording at 12mpbs, can capture 10 over + hour. So far so good.
But remember to format the 64Gb card to FAT file system set as 32KB cluster.
http://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=DQ3 ... VARKCpQ%3D

GO to the Pittasoft site and download the "SD FORMATTER" will do it correctly for use in the camera I have however formatted them just using Rclick and format on my PC and they work OK

As long as you format them as FAT32

Hi Mio!
Can you help me.
I installed your custom FW and it worked ok. because of I am just having 16GB SD card so I try to roll back to original FW by running the original setup file. and now the BV camera can not load the fw when i put the blank sd in and can not roll back to original FW ( the upgrade folder does not remove ). I thing I do wrong way. can you help me to rescue my camera. Thank you a lot.

Mio, can you send me the custom firmware? I sent you a pm a few days ago but haven't gotten your email yet.

Heocon said:
Hi Mio!
Can you help me.
I installed your custom FW and it worked ok. because of I am just having 16GB SD card so I try to roll back to original FW by running the original setup file. and now the BV camera can not load the fw when i put the blank sd in and can not roll back to original FW ( the upgrade folder does not remove ). I thing I do wrong way. can you help me to rescue my camera. Thank you a lot.
me thinks you did not read Mio's instructions included with his custom firmware and bricked it.

wozzzzza said:
Heocon said:
Hi Mio!
Can you help me.
me thinks you did not read Mio's instructions included with his custom firmware and bricked it.

This is exactly why I'm advocating we all work together to create clear step by step instructions, and have all that info nicely displayed in the original post on the first page of this thread. Since I'm not sure the OP is even monitoring this thread any more, we might need to create a new one. There is no need to make everyone dig deep, or learn through trial and error which may result in a bricked unit. It's not like any of us are learning programming out of this experience. I'm sure we can all clear up the instructions and fix/enhance the English translation. (and add key missing do's/don'ts etc)

JazJon said:
wozzzzza said:
Heocon said:
Hi Mio!
Can you help me.

This is exactly why I'm advocating we all work together to create clear step by step instructions, and have all that info nicely displayed in the original post on the first page of this thread. Since I'm not sure the OP is even monitoring this thread any more, we might need to create a new one. There is no need to make everyone dig deep, or learn through trial and error which may result in a bricked unit. It's not like any of us are learning programming out of this experience. I'm sure we can all clear up the instructions and fix/enhance the English translation. (and add key missing do's/don'ts etc)

Exactly what I said a page ago

I don't own one so I can't help confirm/write up anything yet. I don't think I'm gong to buy one of these until AEC is working better in the potentially released v 1.1. (Auto Exposure Correction)

The DOD WDR cameras in the General section are sound promising. viewforum.php?f=9
(amazing day/night video quality) No WiFi, and not nearly as stealthy looking as the BlackVue though. (I like the cylindrical look)

Heocon said:
Hi Mio!
Can you help me.

Heocon, can you tell us you updated from which version custom FW to which version original FW?

JazJon said:
I don't think I'm gong to buy one of these until AEC is working better in the potentially released v 1.1. (Auto Exposure Correction)

The DOD WDR cameras in the General section are sound promising. viewforum.php?f=9
(amazing day/night video quality) No WiFi, and not nearly as stealthy looking as the BlackVue though. (I like the cylindrical look)

Before i bought my blackvue, i do some research, watched lots of video samples from youtube. And i know its not the best camera out there and its not the cheapest, and there is better night performance unit and cost less. But i really like how the camera look, mounted on car, it does look more elegant then other camera, its one big factor that makes me buy this unit. And actually overall quality is pretty good for a dash camera. One thing i am not sure yet is the reliability. Hope it will doing well.
Of course new products will keep coming and i believe the quality and price will be better, if people can wait. But I never know when will an accident happen when I am on the road (wish it won't happen) , and I need the video to prove its not my fault.

M-Element said:
JazJon said:
I don't think I'm gong to buy one of these until AEC is working better in the potentially released v 1.1. (Auto Exposure Correction)

Before i bought my blackvue, i do some research, watched lots of video samples from youtube. And i know its not the best camera out there and its not the cheapest, and there is better night performance unit and cost less. But i really like how the camera look, mounted on car, it does look more elegant then other camera, its one big factor that makes me buy this unit. And actually overall quality is pretty good for a dash camera. One thing i am not sure yet is the reliability. Hope it will doing well.
Of course new products will keep coming and i believe the quality and price will be better, if people can wait. But I never know when will an accident happen when I am on the road (wish it won't happen) , and I need the video to prove its not my fault.
Exactly. I originally was going to buy a go pro but the go pro 3 has alot of bad reviews and didn't come with a mount. I thought about the go pro 2 but no wifi to stream recorded videos and the SD card made for it won't fit in my phone so I could play it back on the go if I were to be in an accident. So that's why I chose the black vue, though I haven't even mounted it yet as I'm still waiting to get the firmware from mio.

M-Element said:
Heocon said:
Hi Mio!
Can you help me.

Heocon, can you tell us you updated from which version custom FW to which version original FW?

V1.0.5E ( custom FW ) to V 1.005E ( original FW ). now it still work with custom FW ( recording nomaly ) but can not upgrade to other FW anf can not copy FW to SD card if I put the blank SD card in to VDR.

A basic guide to updating to a custom firmware:
0. Make sure that you are about of installing a version of the custom firmware that is suitable to be installed over a version of your current firmware (by checking from documentation, or asking for help from a supplier of the custom firmware).
1. Perform formatting of your Micro-SD card (e.g. with SD Formatter).
2. Extract BlackVue folder from the archive to a hard disk.
3. Make sure that a required time-zone file is placed inside the \\BlackVue\citytime folder
4. Check that correct settings are specified in files located in \\BlackVue\Config folder (or just leave them as they are if you are not aware of details; default settings are suitable for majority of cases).
5. Copy BlackVue folder from the hard disk to the recently formatted Micro-SD card.
6. Insert the Micro-SD card into your DR500GW-HD.
7. Connect the DR500GW-HD to a power source, and power it on - this will start an updating procedure (make sure that power source is stable and power is ensured until the end of the updating procedure).
8. Wait until the end of the updating procedure. The DR500GW-HD may restart several times; it may take some minutes. Do not interrupt the updating procedure, and do not disconnect the power source (e.g. do not stop your car engine in case you perform an update in your car). Hear a message informing you of a functioning of the DR500GW-HD – this will end the updating procedure.
9. Confirm a functionality of the DR500GW-HD through BlackVue application by checking live video (Live View menu option; make sure that Wi-Fi of the DR500GW-HD is switched on in order to be able to connect to it).
10. Use the DR500GW-HD as it is intended to.

Heocon said:
M-Element said:
Heocon said:
Hi Mio!
Can you help me.

V1.0.5E ( custom FW ) to V 1.005E ( original FW ). now it still work with custom FW ( recording nomaly ) but can not upgrade to other FW anf can not copy FW to SD card if I put the blank SD card in to VDR.

Many thanks to Mio for your hepl. my VDR is ok now, everything has been solved by telnet a command line.

dash_new1 said:
what about the averver.sh file?
In former versions of custom firmware (e.g. 1.0.5) that file had to be placed in a root of Micro-SD card. In the most recent (1.1.0 and up), the file is located in \\BlackVue\Config folder and is engaged only when Video=1 mood is set in config-custom.ini file located in the same folder (default is Video=2).

sciagent said:
dash_new1 said:
what about the averver.sh file?
In former versions of custom firmware (e.g. 1.0.5) that file had to be placed in a root of Micro-SD card. In the most recent (1.1.0 and up), the file is located in \\BlackVue\Config folder and is engaged only when Video=1 mood is set in config-custom.ini file located in the same folder (default is Video=2).

Is 1.1 released yet? (AEC working?)

How do you tell which firmware is currently on the dashcam? I just got mine recently and Mio sent me the firmware but I want to make sure it has a firmware that can be upgraded.

McDurbin said:
How do you tell which firmware is currently on the dashcam? I just got mine recently and Mio sent me the firmware but I want to make sure it has a firmware that can be upgraded.

Open the file version.bin in your sd card, you should see your firmware version number.

JazJon said:
wozzzzza said:
Heocon said:
Hi Mio!
Can you help me.

I too agree with this, Mio is doing a very great job of helping us all out but we can't expect everyone to be able to write in perfect English (me too as English is not my first language). It will be very helpful to have some instructions in clear English, the process sounds easy enough, but I can't follow the process very well. as I too find the instructions at present a bit difficult to understand and after many weeks of trying to take off the stamp (with Mio's FW) I've still not managed it, I'm using and Apple Mac but that shouldn't make any difference, this is in no way being ungreatful to Mio for his great help

Back