Custom Firmware Thread: *RELEASED* Ver 1.1.1aE [DR500GW-HD]

jsan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
:arrow:

Update: June 20, 2013
Thanks for the firmware Mio, Can't wait to see what adjustments are possible.

I took it for a test drive and noticed a difference in the Exposure. Before when the exposure used to washout the entire video fames or blackout the enitre video frames while adjusting to the sunlight. Now I didn't see that. Which means the exposure fix is working.

Here is a picture screenshot I took before and after updating to the new firmware. The time difference is maybe 30min-45min as seen by the shadows.

View the picture in full size (Each individual picture is linked below in 1080p)

if you look at the trees, you notice that the trees were blurry before; especially the furthest away small tree in front of the white car. And after the firmware update those far away trees become much sharper.

i.imgur.com_6fnhnSa.gif

Link to those two individual pictures:

http://i.imgur.com/D2i2Ngy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M84kVKB.jpg

Now I gotta remove the stamp and disable the time/date/speed. Also I didn't get any speed, is the GPS working for everyone? I don't really care but I'm curious.

END UPDATE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: 1.1.1
viewtopic.php?p=16970#p16970

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update:
New Version is coming out soon.
Details: viewtopic.php?p=14630#p14630

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Post:

I wasn't impressed with the quality of video I was getting from my cam. The promo videos were way better than what I was getting. So I read somewhere that pitasoft shot those videos using 10mbps bitrate and we the consumers get maximum of 7.5mbps bit-rate.

This is only my guess, but I think pitasoft dropped the bitrate because it makes it easier to download videos via wifi. higher bit-rate = larger file size. which means streaming and copying videos on your phone takes much longer.

So that is why I think pitasoft went with lower bitrate.

Along with the lower quality output, I didn't like how they put their model number at the bottom right corner.

So I took up searching google on how to increase the bit-rate, I found some russian forum (ebay-forums.ru) and I tried reading around using google translator. It was pretty hard to make sense of anything translated by google. But I spent some time and finally got the firmware from one of the developers.

They prefer to send individual links to each person that wants to install it. This is so they can track via email who has the firmware, so they can provide them with updates. So They don't want their firmware to be available publicly. They are pretty fast with their responses.

Ok so here is the difference: I parked the Jeep and took the sd card out. I installed new Firmware with 12Mbps bit-rate. Here are two pictures below. The first picture is stock with 7.5mbps bit-rate the second picture is with 12mbps bit-rate.

Below Picture: Bit-rate 7485kbps
i.imgur.com_nMb3LNP.jpg

Below Pictrure: Bit-rate 11886kbps
i.imgur.com_hO2hg0e.jpg

Below Picture: See how the bit-rate changes from 7400 to 11000
i.imgur.com_FuIg5bD.png

Below Picture: Removed Stamp at the bottom right corner.
i.imgur.com_JM5kA5c.jpg

Now I have to test out and compare the night time video quality. I will post back sometime this week with nighttime results. (or tonight)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Custom Firmware for DR500GW-HD | Higher bitrate | No sta

will be interested to know how you go with heat, I don't know if correct or not but there was a lot of speculation about Pittasoft lowering the bitrate to avoid heat related issues they had in earlier models, it may have helped with heat but quality has taken a hit as a result, the higher bitrate certainly helps with detail, I know in my own cam when I run it a 15mbps the picture is much more detailed

jokiin said:
will be interested to know how you go with heat, I don't know if correct or not but there was a lot of speculation about Pittasoft lowering the bitrate to avoid heat related issues they had in earlier models, it may have helped with heat but quality has taken a hit as a result, the higher bitrate certainly helps with detail, I know in my own cam when I run it a 15mbps the picture is much more detailed

We'll see how much the heat affects the video. I do remember reading that previous customers of the older model had heat issues and videos showing damage caused by heat. They also didn't have any cooling vents like the new one.

But the quality does make a huge difference.

I don't think is normal for a dashcam to go with the bitrate over 8500-9000kbps. The problem is in another part and I suspect codec quality, maybe some ecoding settings.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
I don't think is normal for a dashcam to go with the bitrate over 8500-9000kbps. The problem is in another part and I suspect codec quality, maybe some ecoding settings.

enjoy,
Mtz

10000 gives a good balance between size and quality

My data rates show 4999kpbs ?? What setting should i set? My setting is all default.

jsan hi! ;)
file size - I recommend 1 minute.
To avoid problems after filling card and erase files

advise you to connect to WiFi, and open in the browser 192.168.8.1 :)

Dscheng said:
My data rates show 4999kpbs ?? What setting should i set? My setting is all default.

Set video compression setting to Normal.

Hi Linni,

Thanks ! The image is much more better?

How do you contact them so I can try out the firmware. I guess how did you message them or what is there email address?

Mclovin50 said:
How do you contact them so I can try out the firmware. I guess how did you message them or what is there email address?
Go here, sign up and ask politely.

http://www.ebay-forum.ru/phpBB2/topic/142192-видеорегистратор-blackvue-dr500gw-hd-c-wifi/

who have DR500GW with English firmware?
Help to copy the firmware

I will say as need to do

Mio said:

I will say as need to do

I have official English firmware.

I can get it?

We could do with a higher bit rate firmware ;)

Yes, no problem, if you could explain how to extract it from device.

All in russian. Ya i also want to try the new firmware. Hopefully in english.

Mio said:

I will say as need to do
Sent - check your PMs :)

needs help ;)
who can wish to record additional English *.wav
Preferably a woman's voice ;) :)
list here http://yadi.sk/d/Mrlh38rz3CCbz

For a complete English firmware with high bit rate

I think the best is to use some synthetic voice, from some site like this or the Kendra voice from this site.

All texts must be redefined by some native english forum user.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
All texts must be redefined by some native english forum user.
no problems
My English is bad
you use ;)

Back