Dangerous / under skilled drivers ?

old4570

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Front: 70MAI , Ausdom A261, Mini 0826 , Rear: A118c
I am 100% a believer in the dashcam ( Fantastic , where was it 20 years ago )
But it occurred to me that dashcams don't really stop people from driving like douche bags .
And taxing bad drivers obviously does not work , good for revenue raising but does little to correct bad behavior or lack of skill .

So I was thinking , when people are caught breaking the rules ( speeding , changing lanes without indication , failing to give way , Bl bla bla ) , why not make them sit the road rules test again .. Every time you fracture the law ( road laws ) not only are you taxed , but you get to sit the road rules test again . ( Obviously if you break the rules its because you dont know what they are ) .. So if you get pulled over 6 times a year for fracturing the road rules , you get to sit the road rules test 6 times ( surely sooner or latter the rules will sink in ) ..

But here is the slap in the face ! If you fail the test , you lose your license and get to start all over again from the beginning , Learners permit , probationary license .. ( I wonder if the message would sink in ? )

And for those truly appalling drivers , well not only do they sit the road rules test , but they get to do their driving test again , fail either and lose your license and go back to the beginning .

Taxation for fracturing the rules has gone on for a long time now and has simply not worked . I think it's time to start thinking beyond revenue raising to address the seriously falling standard of driving , at least in my country ( Oz ) . In the last 3 years I have personally nearly been killed by red light runners 2 times now . Each time missing out on the fun of mashed metal by one lousy second . ( Before my car got all cam'ed up ) . The last time I may have had a forward facing cam , and as a result I decided I really wanted a rear facing cam .

Taxing people for fracturing the law does not work ( except for revenue raising ) . and in oz I believe they raise several hundred million dollars a year from fines . Im sure the gooberment enjoys spending the 2 or 3 hundred million they collect from bad drivers , but I would like to see something done to correct this behavior , or at the very least attempt to correct it .

Here in my state of Victoria the Gooberment has put the kibosh on a lot of weapons , knives , spears , swords , nun chucks , guns , and so forth . But one weapon is still allowed to run amok in society and that's the car . Car drivers are still treated as a privileged class , and this needs to end .. It's time to bring down the hammer and slap stupid people silly ...

Thats true.

You should use that footage and turn it over to the police, and demand they use it against the person.
I did and will do again, at least for the most stupid things i record, but so far i have just done that one time, and i had to bring media into the picture before the Danish police bothered / found a way to do something about it ( the latter i think due to circumstances beyond the police them self )
But after media got in on it only took one week and then the police contacted me for original footage and i also added a statement of mine for good measure.

I dont know where Gooberment got the idea to ban things, there is no need for that, just make sure that the people that use said things in a wrong and harmful way get a fine or prison sentence they can relate to and fear/respect.

As long as the fines / sentences are not in place, and the chance of getting either is not really there as there is little enforcement of said rules, then the D-bags will just keep being what they are and endanger us all.
But its a thin line, to enforce the rules here i assume you would have to quadruple the Danish police force, and by doing that turning us into some bastard police state too.
One thing is for sure, it is too late to rely on the people them self to uphold the rules, and that last part is really sad cuz its what set our society apart from a bunch of monkeys.

I used to work in healthcare. We all had to be assessed annually to check that we were competent and up to date with current practices. Just in case we might end up making a mistake and killing someone.

So why not annual competency testing for drivers? Possibly with your test score being directly related to the maximum speed/power of car that you're allowed to drive. Scrape through the annual test and you're only allowed to have a small, modestly powered car. Score 100% and you're allowed any car you wish.

When I took my test some years ago, we were not allowed any major faults but up to 15 minor ones. I had two minor faults. Therefore I should not be allowed to own the top 2/15ths (top 13%) of fastest/most powerful cars on the road.

We sort of have that getting a MC license and if you are 18.

In the first years your "MC" that you are allowed to drive as a new 18 YO biker is what go for a moped in many other EU countries, then after a year you can move up to a little larger bike, and then after some years any bike you like to.

But me as a old guy, i can go take the MC license and buy myself a 250 BHP bike and go kill myself right from the MC store, but thats my right as a old experienced person :rolleyes:

Just another proof how skewed some things are here.

And now they change it so kids 17 YO can get a car license and i assume MC too :confused:

You can also get sentenced here to retake your license, both the theoretical and practical test, but as i recall that go along bigger transgressions or when you get the #2 mark out of the 3 on your license, and off course if your license get taken for some time due to doing something monumental stupid.

Not sure if some annual test would do it, most are able to fake it and drive properly for a little while.
From when i got my license at 18 and the next 2 decades i more or less drove like it suited me, and i couldn't really be bothered with any other motorist unless it said police on his car.
But i was still able to fake it any time, and get licensed for driving trucks in the same time frame

Regarding powerful cars those have their own limit build in here, as those just like smaller cars demand you pay for 2-3 cars to get one, but off course that dont stop the people owning such cars or any other car for that matter from being automotive Duchebags.

The above rants don't accomodate the authors' missteps. Everyone except the dead makes mistakes daily.

I was fault free between '00 and last week. Luckily the other guy kept us to a fender bender.

Even freely admitting fault, dashcams keep damages acurate.

More tests mean more cost for the honest and more scoflaws. In Philly a couple mistakes puts insurance out of reach but doesn't keep them from buying stickers and continuing to drive to work. People want to be honest but not hungry.

Use dashcams to protect yourself in the aftermath of an incedent. Leave enforcement to the authorities.

.....More tests mean more cost for the honest and more scoflaws......

A vehicle can be just as deadly as a poorly qualified healthcare professional. Shall we save healthcare costs by not checking the skills of staff?

..... Leave enforcement to the authorities.....

Due to severe budget constraints and any fines going to government rather than policing, the police generally look the other way to save themselves paperwork.
The only real enforcement that happens is speeding fines and they're especially looking to catch people who are only moderately over the limit because there's a revenue-raising loophole that allows them to send mild 'offenders' on driver awareness courses run by the police and the fee/cost of the course goes to the police budget because they run the courses.

A vehicle can be just as deadly as a poorly qualified healthcare professional. Shall we save healthcare costs by not checking the skills of staff?

I've been a registered engineer since '94. In the meantime all states require continuing professional development at our cost. I have difficulty finding courses I can't teach. Those offered are configured for the largest audience and consequently the least common denominator. This money making ruse is paper wrapped with pretty good intentions.

After basic proficiency, no test inspires passion for excellence or insures integrity.

As to heathcare, just like driving a car, you need to protect yourself before relying on others.

Last edited:
Whatever the deterrent, it needs to escalate with each repeat offence. E.g. with a fine or jail sentence, it could double with each repetition. But they won't do that.
Plenty of people refuse to stop driving even when banned. But the authorities keep giving them slap-on-the-wrist fines and banning them again. Strangely, it doesn't work!

You gotta have a system. But they have no policy for dealing with such people. "The system" has no system in place.

Unless you count the practice of repeatedly lowering speed limits to "increase road safety." Soon all London will be a 20mph zone. Punishing all responsible drivers while - guess what - the law breakers will still drive like nutters.

Nope . I have not forgotten about mistakes ...
We all make them , but the assumption is that when you do these things you don't know the rules ( or obviously you are not careful enough )
Or quite simply we could label the rule breakers criminals , and punish them very harshly ( obviously some drivers are criminals , we have the cam footage to prove it )

But my thoughts are simple ( KISS ) , break the rules for what ever reason , you get to sit the road rules test .
Drive like a homicidal idiot , ( Careless - unskilled ) , and you sit the driving test again ..
Fail either , bye bye license ..

Cant have people on the road that can't pass the road rules test
and cant have people on the road that can't pass the driving test .

So this idea is about up skilling ...
How long is it since most of us did the road rules test ? ( I did mine in 1980 - ok I got 100% , but still - 1980 )
I see people out on the road that should not hold a license , and these people need to be weeded out .

The road toll in my state is around 180+ and ??? how many had to go to hospital , are crippled or maimed / scared for life .
If there were 15000 serious accidents in Victoria , then there were 15000 people who should not hold a license .

Up skilling needs to start at School level , driving instruction should be more advanced ..
A lot of people teach Learner drivers to drive like Rubbish , to block the road ! ( Very Dangerous )
Perhaps not that the learner is being dangerous , but rather they bring out the worst in some people .. ( I see it all the time )
I have tooted the odd Learner myself when they crawl on a public road unsure of what they are doing ...
Perhaps Learners should be banned from major roads ( ? ) .. Sometimes they do the most incredible things .. ( I blame the instructors )

As for repeat offenders / CRIMINALS - They need to be treated more seriously .. ( As the criminals they are )

Just as an aside, why do some people put P (provisional/newly qualified) plates on their cars after passing their test?
If they don't feel competent enough to drive safely, why did they even apply to sit their test?
Maybe I'm biased because it was a hit and run P-plater who knocked over my brother's motorbike and deliberately rammed it into my van so they could get out of the tight parking space quickly and flee responsibility.

P plates are there for the Police ...
To identify probationary drivers ...

Hmmm , why do people get drivers licenses ? And then drive like a load in a nappy !
Not sure if it still goes on or not , but some people used to pay a little extra to pass the driving test ..

And here is a fantastic fact ...
A lot of people fail there first road rules test ! ( I kid you not ) , as well fail there first or second driving test !

It took me all of 5 minutes to complete my road rules test , I spent the next 10 minutes trying to find mistakes because I thought there was no way it could be that easy ( looking for trick questions )
Anyhow I went to the front desk and the police officer looked strange at me , said something about me completing the test too quickly , then checked my test 3 times , every time it was 100% .

I could not believe anyone could (A) get less than 100% (B) or fail such an easy test ..
Strange thing is that people do actually fail the road rules test ... ( These people are actually out on the road , clueless as to what the rules are )
So whether by willful disobedience or just pure ignorance , a lot of people should sit the road rules test ( As many times as it takes )

As for the driving test - Sweet Lord ! Fail that , and the next test should be harder than the first . ( Perhaps some advanced driver training required for a advanced driver test ) ..
Or perhaps extra categories for the license ...
Standard license = 4cyl cars with say @ 150HP limit
Advanced License = 6cyl cars and maybe a 250HP limit
And a unrestricted license = V8's and maybe a 500HP limit ( Do we need 1000HP cars on the street ? )

Each license requiring a higher level of driver training , and perhaps a higher open road speed ...
And so as not to confuse the Police , everyone displays Plates on their car for the category of license they hold
L - P - S -A - U

That way the police wont need to chase unrestricted license holders for doing their speed limit .
Who would not want to qualify for a unrestricted license ( still got to obey the rules )
But perhaps it just makes to much sense ?
Reward the good , punish the bad .. ( Is it too hard ? )

P plates in the UK aren't official in any way, they are put on by newly qualified drivers who lack confidence and believe other drivers will give them an easy time if P plates are on. Dream on.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

P plates in the UK aren't official in any way

here (NSW Australia) they have to display red P plates for 1 year then green P plates for 2 years after that, there are different speed limits for P drivers, zero alcohol, can't use a mobile phone etc

but some people used to pay a little extra to pass the driving test

On occasion the same have been the case here ( in the worlds least corrupt country ) this ( off course ) was driving instructors with roots in the middle east, and with students with the same heritage.

But to my knowledge the driving test is still with a cop riding shotgun and telling where he would like you to go, so i am not quite sure how they pulled that cheating off or if it was just the theoretical part of the process ( thats just a multiple choice test here )
Could also be cops was in on it, in my naughty younger days we often supplied cops and high ranking members of society with "stuff" so no doubt they are as normal and weak as any off us, and would bend a law here and there to serve their own needs and wants.

Back