Dash Cam SD Card Capacity

esox07

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Looking
I have been researching Dash Cams in preparation for having my wife buy me one for Christmas. I have looked at the specs and reviews on quite a few. One of the specs is SD Card capacity. One one that I was really interested in said it had a paltry 32 GB capacity which really bothered me for an HD cam. But after reading several reviews, I found one where a user had put a 64GB card and it worked correctly. I have found many times that electronics work fine with higher capacity SD Cards than they were designed to use. Has anyone else tried higher capacity SD Cards in their Dash Cams with success? What was camera make and model and what size SD Card did you get to work?

512gb is currently the largest cards available and some cams can support already, plenty that support 64gb and quite a few that support 128gb, the larger sizes are not cost effective though

Yah, that is kind of what I have seen. I am a bit worried about only a 32GB capacity. Any idea how many hours a 32GB at full 1080P would hold without over writing?

cams don't always take bigger cards than they're designed for. for instance, my mini 0805 has a listed maximum of 32GB. I've seen other users claim that they can use a 64GB+ card with just an in camera format procedure. I've always had to PC format my 64GB cards with the FAT32 file system if I'm intending to use it on the mini.

cams don't always take bigger cards than they're designed for. for instance, my mini 0805 has a listed maximum of 32GB. I've seen other users claim that they can use a 64GB+ card with just an in camera format procedure. I've always had to PC format my 64GB cards with the FAT32 file system if I'm intending to use it on the mini.
Hardware is capable, depends on firmware what it will support

Back