Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

I mean, I guess why not?

However speaking only for me, my desktop PC is the primary viewing platform for dashcam vids. I take the SD card out of the dashcam and put it in a reader

It's too much hassle to load them on the smartphone. Takes too long to copy from the card via USB OTG adapter. Takes way too long to download them from the dashcam.

I can't imagine viewing and managing dashcam vids entirely on a phone. Yuck.

It's too much hassle to load them on the smartphone. Takes too long to copy from the card via USB OTG adapter. Takes way too long to download them from the dashcam.

I can't imagine viewing and managing dashcam vids entirely on a phone. Yuck.

Agreed. Smartphones are becoming more capable all the time, but with their small screens and touch interfaces they are not designed for the kind of application that simultaneously displays video, map, and plots. Plus, moving data back and forth can be a hassle. Based on requests I've received, I'd support Linux before Android or iOS. But even Linux demand is small compared to Mac/Win.

Thought I'd try out the trial version of Dashcam Viewer, but when I hit the Windows 10 link, I get an error page. I've tried on Chrome and Edge with the same result.

Dashcam viewer page load error.png

Any idea if this is on my side of the 'net or if the site is having problems?

Dashcam viewer page load error.png

Hmm. Everytime I start the DCV app, I get this popup.
Dashcam viewer phishing.png

Also, it keeps wanting me to d/l a K-lite codec pack... which I did. But no other instructions were forthcoming. What do I do with the codec?

Thanks! Got the zip file.

Any idea why I was getting the error above?

Not sure what's going on there. Are you behind a firewall? Perhaps your firewall policies blocked the request. In any case, I modified the website and added an alternative download site. Thanks for reporting this.

Appreciate the backup, @jokiin! :)

Not sure what's going on there. Are you behind a firewall? Perhaps your firewall policies blocked the request. In any case, I modified the website and added an alternative download site. Thanks for reporting this.

Appreciate the backup, @jokiin! :)
Just the Win 10 pro x64 firewall.

As regards the K-Lite codec pack, I see I just need to turn off the reminder on the opening splash screen. I guess the program finds what it needs from wherever I stored the downloaded file.

Just the Win 10 pro x64 firewall.

As regards the K-Lite codec pack, I see I just need to turn off the reminder on the opening splash screen. I guess the program finds what it needs from wherever I stored the downloaded file.
make sure to install it, downloading it doesn't add what you need, then you can turn off the nag screen

I am getting the attached message using Dashcam Viewer on Mac.
Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 4.24.48 PM.png
My Dashcam is a Viofo A129 Pro set to HEVC mode. When using Dashcam Viewer to look at the clips, none of the front camera clips play, but the rear camera clips work fine. The front camera clips play just fine in QuickTime Player, the Finder, and in VLC.

Any thoughts on why they don't play in Dashcam Viewer?

For reference HEVC (a.k.a H.265) support on the Mac requires macOS High Sierra or greater. Also, only newer Macs with Kaby Lake or better processors have built-in HEVC hardware acceleration. I assume you meet both of these requirements since your front videos play in Quicktime Player.

The problem could be that the video libraries in Dashcam Viewer do not support H.265. So the easy answer is to switch your A129 to record video in H.264 mode. I don't have an A129 Pro to test but that should work. The next version of Dashcam Viewer (v3.4.0) will be built with a newer video library backend and may provide HEVC compatibility.

For reference HEVC (a.k.a H.265) support on the Mac requires macOS High Sierra or greater. Also, only newer Macs with Kaby Lake or better processors have built-in HEVC hardware acceleration. I assume you meet both of these requirements since your front videos play in Quicktime Player.

The problem could be that the video libraries in Dashcam Viewer do not support H.265. So the easy answer is to switch your A129 to record video in H.264 mode. I don't have an A129 Pro to test but that should work. The next version of Dashcam Viewer (v3.4.0) will be built with a newer video library backend and may provide HEVC compatibility.
I’m on MacOS Catalina. My Mac is too old to hardware-accelerate H.265, but it still plays; it just makes my CPU go nuts.

I am a little puzzled because the rear camera clips are also H.265, and they play in Dashcam Viewer just fine.

The only reason I switched to H.265 in the first place is because H.264 recordings (both front and rear) were playing at ~2fps in everything except VLC.

Thought I'd try out the trial version of Dashcam Viewer, but when I hit the Windows 10 link, I get an error page. I've tried on Chrome and Edge with the same result.

View attachment 50084

Any idea if this is on my side of the 'net or if the site is having problems?

View attachment 50084
I had the same problem - my DNS provider blocks this domain, likely due to someone else misusing it.

I used a proxy service to download the file. You can do the same, or use a VPN.

I had the same problem - my DNS provider blocks this domain, likely due to someone else misusing it.

I used a proxy service to download the file. You can do the same, or use a VPN.
..or click the alternative download link on the Dashcam Viewer website ;)

Back