Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

I learned something new -- "speed camera verification" is a thing. :) We don't have speed cameras where I live so I don't think much about them, however, they do use them in nearby states. Thanks for your responses and for the suggestion of being able to import a .csv file of locations. I like that idea.

Dashcam Viewer v3.6.6 Released for Mac and Windows

Dashcam Viewer v3.6.6 was released today for both Mac and Windows with the following new improvements:

New Camera Supports:
  • Added support for INNOVV K5 Dual (both MP4 and TS format)
  • Added support for INNOVV K3 Dual (both MP4 and TS format)
  • Added support for BlueSkySea B4K (TS format)
  • Added support for VIOFO A119G V3 (TS format)
New Features:
  • New toolbar buttons icons for better readability in both Dark Mode and Light Mode.
Bug Fixes:
  • [Windows] Fixed bug which prevented Merge Videos from working under certain circumstances.
  • [Windows] The day-of-week is no longer shown twice in date/time at the top of the video window.
  • [Windows] On dual monitor systems, ancillary windows will retain their positions on the second monitor if the application is put in background and then brought to foreground. Previously, these windows would all reposition to the main monitor when brought to foreground.
  • Fixed speed units issue with Alfawise LS02
  • Fixed GPS data parsing issue with Blackvue DR750X-2CH
  • Drag-and-drop of TS files is now supported
Dashcam Viewer v3.6.6 running on Windows 10 and showing PiP view from INNOVV K5
Dashcam Viewer is PC/Mac software that allows you to playback your dashcam’s videos while simultaneously viewing your vehicle’s location on a map. There are many other features in the software which are detailed on our website (http://dashcamviewer.com). Standard and PRO versions are available.

The free demo version is fully-functional and allows the loading of up to 2 videos at a time.

- John
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dashcamviewer

Hello John,
I posted a (ps. query) in my last post, 1 page back.
Perhaps you missed it due to your busy life.

Anyway, here it is once more...JIC.
ps. Is it "normal" after loading the program, that after hitting the "Load files" button, all the other screens disappear
& only re-appear after the files have loaded?

I can't remember if this occurred when 1st installed.
I did an un-re-install a few months ago but am not sure about the above ^ function.

Many thanks.

Stay safe.

Regards, Mike..

Hi John,

Daylight saving (Time Zone change) quirk - Main Window time -1 hour to embedded time:

Today, Sunday 28 March 2021, is when BST (British Summer Time) starts in the UK and European Summer Time starts in Europe. So before my journey today I changed the Time Zone of the Viofo A119 V3 from GMT 0 to GMT +1.

When Time Zone (on Viofo) is changed from GMT to BST, all footage on the SD card before the change has the time showing 1 hour behind in the top-left of the Main Window when compared to the embedded (actual) time in the video footage.

When looking at several days of footage in DCV: for footage recorded before the change, the time in Main Window is shown as GMT (correct) albeit being shown one hour slow. Footage recorded after the change, the time in Main Window is shown as BST (also correct) and the time is correct when compared to the embedded time.

I'm running a Viofo A119 V3 (firmware V1.03) and Mac DCV 3.6.6

I have a few questions:
  • Does this happen on other dashcams with DCV or just the Viofo A119 V3?
  • Why does this happen when you have normal and daylight saving times (i.e. two time zones) on one SD card?
  • Does it happen for other countries that also do daylight saving?
  • Does this happen when you drive to different countries (e.g. the UK to France and vice versa) or from State to State in the USA?
  • Can you fix it?
The user (easy) solution would be to always swap the SD card with a fresh blank one every time the time zone or daylight saving is switched on or off. However, if I were to drive a day trip to France (either by ferry or tunnel) and back home then I could potentially do that using just one SD card (with 8½ hours recording time) with two time zone changes of +1 then -1. So a fix would be nice to have but it's obviously not a show stopper therefore it's not essential.

This is very minor and isn't a problem, although it would be nice if the date and time in the Main Window always matched the embedded time, especially when the time zone is changed. :)(y)

Many thanks,

Last edited:
You have to set time ( zone ) manual, dashcams do not change automatic as other gadgets will do.

Remind me to do my time too, i knew the handover was this weekend, but already forgotten it.
When i do this i normally format the memory card too, though unsure if that actually have a say. if you haven't driven leading up to the time you change zone.

Also not sure with conflict in regard to using a dashcam player as i only use a regular media player as meta data have no interest for me.

Hi kamkar,

Setting the time on a dashcam isn't essential but if you do need evidence then I think whilst the timestamp with the correct time might not be noticed, a timestamp with the incorrect time is more likely to be noticed and thus the validity of the footage might be questioned. Hence I always try to remember to reset the time on our dashcams when for daylight saving or time zone change.

Years ago when I had RoadHawk dashcams, my wife and I went to France and I had to take several SD cards each with a configuration.txt file to change the settings of the RoadHawk (including the time zone) as there was no other way to change the settings. The RoadHawk would always add the configuration.txt file to a blank SD card. For those interested, here are the contents of the RoadHawk configuration.txt file:

Code:
Resolution=1080
Frame_rate=30
Mic=6
GMT=1
Split_time=1
G_sensor=9
Bit_rate=20
Volume=3
Contrast=33
EV=11
Spot-metering=0
Saturation=50
Timestamp=1
HDR=1
Loop=1

Regards,

During summer time I use one of the user fields to 'stamp' GMT on the lower data line and leave the dashcam set to GMT 24x7.

That way they would have no cause to question the time.

This is very minor and isn't a problem, although it would be nice if the date and time in the Main Window always matched the embedded time, especially when the time zone is changed. :)(y)

Many thanks,

Looks like the question has been answered, but I'll add a few more details.

The date/time displayed in the top-left corner of Dashcam Viewer is based on the file modification date/time of the video. The file modification date/time is set by you in the dash cam itself. So if the DST/BST/EST occurs after the video is recorded, or if you move timezones, the time displayed in the top-left will be incorrect. You can compensate for this by applying a Clock Bias in the Preferences of DCV. Normally this should always be "0" unless one of the above situations occurs. Here's an example of applying a Clock Bias:

clock_bias.png

Applying a Clock Bias to adjust for DST/PST/BST/EST changes. This affects the Time displayed in the top-left of Dashcam Viewer. Normally, this is defaulted to 0 hrs.

You may ask-- why not just display the GPS date/time in the top-left corner? Well the problem is you're not guaranteed to have a GPS time. You may have started moving before the camera has had a chance to achieve GPS lock so the GPS date/time will be erroneous or non-existent. That is why the file modification date is used--you're always guaranteed to have one.

So how do you get to the GPS date/time stored by your dashcam? For that, you use the Data Browser in Dashcam Viewer. The CSV format, for example, will give you both UTC and Local Time based of the GPS data recorded by your dashcam AND the settings in Dashcam Viewer (there are a few caveats for dealing with bad GPS data, but that's another topic). Here's what output from the Data Browser looks like:

data-1.png

GPS date/time/latitude/longitude data embedded in a StreetGuardian 9663DC video.

Good. Now we finally have "truth data" for date/time. Or do we? As it turns out, there are nuances in what is recorded as "GPS time" in these dashcams. Some dash cams record pure UTC date/time. Others try to be smart and apply the camera's timezone setting offset to the data recorded by the GPS unit (note to manufacturers: please don't do this). Some dashcam's don't even bother to record GPS date/time-- they just record the lat/lon/speed at a regular cadence.

To handle these possibilities I've added special adjustment settings for the date/time data displayed in the Data Browser:

advanced_prefs.png

Applying corrections to the GPS data displayed in the Data Browser

These settings are accessed in the Advanced Preferences. The UTC Time Correction is an offset applied to the GPS data for cameras that don't record the GPS data in UTC time zone. The Local Time Correction allows you to correctly output the GPS data in your local timezone. With those two settings you should be able to coax correct UTC and Local times out of the Data Browser for any dashcam model.

Sorry for the long post. The subject of Time is deceptively complicated so I thought I'd give it a bit more explanation.

John

ps. Is it "normal" after loading the program, that after hitting the "Load files" button, all the other screens disappear
& only re-appear after the files have loaded?

I can't remember if this occurred when 1st installed.
I did an un-re-install a few months ago but am not sure about the above ^ function.

Many thanks.

Stay safe.

Regards, Mike..

@Michael23 On the Windows version of Dashcam Viewer, you have control of what happens to the ancillary windows the program is put to the background. If you uncheck the "Hide windows when application is put in background" option, then the windows will not disappear when the video file dialog window is brought up. The setting is in the Advanced Preferences:

windws_in_bkgd.png

Request:

Would it be possible to allow resizing of the dashboard window.

I currently don't use it because it's too big. I've got a 27" screen.

Wherever I place it it partially covers the main window. Ideally I want it to cover the audio controls as per the second image but be the same height as the lower window.

My issue:

AS54crd.jpg

DIZd4DO.jpg

Thanks

Request:

Would it be possible to allow resizing of the dashboard window.

I currently don't use it because it's too big. I've got a 27" screen.

Wherever I place it it partially covers the main window. Ideally I want it to cover the audio controls as per the second image but be the same height as the lower window.

Curious to know if you've tried a configuration with the dashboard window in the vertical position?

Yes, I've tried that thanks.

I've got the main window perfect for my dashcam resolution/size and I've adjusted the file select and map accordingly.

I can live without the dashboard window but a bit smaller would be nice.

I've got the main window perfect for my dashcam resolution/size and I've adjusted the file select and map accordingly.

For almost two decades I've been using a dual monitor computer set-up. With Dashcam Viewer, I can have the map (in full screen or nearly full screen) and perhaps the graph window on one monitor to my right and all the other windows neatly arranged on my primary monitor in front of me. Similarly, when I work with graphics or layout software I can have my work in front of me and all the tool palates and ancillary software open on the other monitor. Best of all possible worlds! It would be hard for me to ever go back to using only a single display at this point. Perhaps a second display might be something to consider some time? Can't recommend this approach highly enough!

Hello John/traveler,
Many thanks for pointing out that simple fix for my small problem.

Still trying to learn all the great features of the program.

Stay safe.

Regards, Mike..

Hello John/traveler
I've struck a small problem using my AZDOME dashcam & DashCam Viewer.

It now does not want to display the video file & I receive the posted error message.
The map does show the static course but does not move, neither do the GPS or speed displays.

I have not changed anything...AFAICT, so ?

I re-formatted the SAMSUNG Evo 32 Gig SD Card in the PC & then in the dashcam & it records & plays the video in WMP v12 O.K.

This now occurs with any of my old/er videos, as well.

The only thing that updated recently (last week or 2 ?), is the K-Lite BASIC pack.
I did check the videos directly after the update & they played fine in DCV.

Any ideas on why this has suddenly happened?

Many thanks.

Regards, Mike..
Stay safe.

[edit] A little later...

I just un-installed the latest K-Lite BASIC codec pack (v 16.1.2) & D/L'd the older version that I had previously > 16.1.0.
I performed my normal routine after answering the K-Lite questionnaire on why I wanted to un-install it, & continued on with the un-installation.

I then checked the REGISTRY & "CCleaner'ed" out any crud & re-booted the PC.

I then installed the old K-Lite version 16.1.0 & checked all the old'er videos in DCV.
(Damn! I knew I shouldn't have formatted the SD card so soon.)

They all worked just fine. No probs seen or heard.

Can't imagine "them" getting anything wrong with their codecs. Never have in the past.

Anyway, problem solved.....so far. (Fingers X'd.)

Ta for reading.
[/edit]

Attachments

• Dashcam-Viewer_Error-Message.jpg
    Dashcam-Viewer_Error-Message.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Some of the widgets (calendar/lat/lon) in the Dashboard window do not support scaling in a 'friendly' way which is why you can't expand the window. However, you should be able to crop out the compass and lat/lon by grabbing the right-hand edge of the window and dragging it to the left, like this:
speedo.png

Although this doesn't affect the vertical height, it makes the width small so you can tuck the window it a corner somewhere. :)

John

Hello John/traveler
I've struck a small problem using my AZDOME dashcam & DashCam Viewer.

It now does not want to display the video file & I receive the posted error message.
The map does show the static course but does not move, neither do the GPS or speed displays.

I have not changed anything...AFAICT, so ?

I re-formatted the SAMSUNG Evo 32 Gig SD Card in the PC & then in the dashcam & it records & plays the video in WMP v12 O.K.

This now occurs with any of my old/er videos, as well.

The only thing that updated recently (last week or 2 ?), is the K-Lite BASIC pack.
I did check the videos directly after the update & they played fine in DCV.

Any ideas on why this has suddenly happened?

Many thanks.

Regards, Mike..
Stay safe.

[edit] A little later...

I just un-installed the latest K-Lite BASIC codec pack (v 16.1.2) & D/L'd the older version that I had previously > 16.1.0.
I performed my normal routine after answering the K-Lite questionnaire on why I wanted to un-install it, & continued on with the un-installation.

I then checked the REGISTRY & "CCleaner'ed" out any crud & re-booted the PC.

I then installed the old K-Lite version 16.1.0 & checked all the old'er videos in DCV.
(Damn! I knew I shouldn't have formatted the SD card so soon.)

They all worked just fine. No probs seen or heard.

Can't imagine "them" getting anything wrong with their codecs. Never have in the past.

Anyway, problem solved.....so far. (Fingers X'd.)

Ta for reading.
[/edit]
Thanks for posting the update, @Michael23. Sometimes developers fix one issue and inadvertently cause another. Not that that has ever happened to me. :rolleyes:

I'm still using K-Lite Codec Pack version 15.1.6 btw, because it's worked with all the videos I've thrown at it so far. Haven't had the need to upgrade.

John

Some of the widgets (calendar/lat/lon) in the Dashboard window do not support scaling in a 'friendly' way which is why you can't expand the window. However, you should be able to crop out the compass and lat/lon by grabbing the right-hand edge of the window and dragging it to the left, like this:
speedo.png

Although this doesn't affect the vertical height, it makes the width small so you can tuck the window it a corner somewhere. :)

John

This might be too big of an ask but would it be possible to eventually turn the Dashboard window into tabs, sort of like a nested tool pallet in Photoshop where you can select or drag away the tab you want to use and close the others?

Let's say you want to free up space on your screen by showing just the compass but nothing else, or maybe the compass and the coordinates but not the speedometer.

Last edited:
I'm still using K-Lite Codec Pack version 15.1.6 btw, because it's worked with all the videos I've thrown at it so far. Haven't had the need to upgrade.

John
probably worth always updating given that any new user will get prompted to install the codec pack as part of the install process, they'll always been shown the latest version when they go and do that

Hello John/@traveler,
You're most welcome for the feedback. (I like to give feedback, be it +ve or -ve.)

jokiin,
re; Updating the K-Lite codec pack...
You get a pop up message for their updates but you don't have to install them.
If a newbie installs the DCV program & encounters problems, hopefully they'll find this site/fora & we can help out.

John may even add a small message on the D/L page & a link to this thread, noting the small problem with the latest version 16.1.2 codec?

Stay safe.

Regards, Mike..

Back